Dude:flame Dev

I'll do it for 150.......seriously... :D

Paul.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

If he has done the whole job in 1 weekend I can't see how he can have taken the rubber off?? Its satans cack is that rubber and even using acetone to soften it up its a bagger of a job to get off.

When I did mine I did the upper section to match the rest of the dash but in red it just looked too much so I sprayed it mettalic black (well I sprayed it black straight over the red but the black melted into the red and became a mushy cacky brown, so I had to strip it back to plastic and start again:( )

Paul R,

I promise you I have 2 legs honest, I just can't type or spell. PMSL very hard right out loud!!!!!!!! When I have saved a few more pennies I will ask someone to do my dash, but first I have to find a Facelift Dash, as I can't take off the one I've got cause it makes it difficult to drive the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheena:)

I paid to have mine done about 3 years ago.. I think it was one of the first ones to be done.. Cost me £180 at the time but i'm well impressed at the job. The chap said he had to use about 11 coats of laquer to make the surface v shiney or something.....

http://www.handsontraining.co.uk/supra/dash2.jpg

http://www.handsontraining.co.uk/supra/dash.jpg

Craig.

• 1 year later...

Im sorry people but I think painted dashboards look cheep wouldnt it be better to cover it in coloured leather or alacantra theres plenty of upholsterers who would do this ,thats what mine is going to have .even a diy jobbie is poss if you take your time. i saw an orange supra at last years jap fest with a white leather dash and it looked the dogs!

Well mine is white (as the car is white) and myself and others have commented that it looks really really good. I think it transformed the car and with some chrome surrounds around the speedos it really makes a difference. The original panel is pretty dire - the black rubber finish is just pants.

Just make sure its done real well and people are genuinly impressed. The Fiat coupe uses quite a few areas of colour coded dash parts and it does look great (shame about the car tho)

• 2 years later...

(copied from my post on a different site :))

well spent today scraping and sanding another part of the dash panels in preporation for spraying them black.

it's a very laborious and time consuming job to do as the supra dash panels came with a sort of 'rubber' coating which you have to 'remove' before sanding some more and priming/painting.

so.. these are the panels that will be sprayed-

(at this stage i had sanded the panel on the right and half the top panel, the panel at the bottom does not have the rubber coating)

this is the rubber coating i am talking about with a score out of it.

the method i found best was to heat the rubber with a heat gun then 'scrape' as much off with a 20p piece. i then, with very rough sandpaper, sanded the remaining gunk off.

half sanded, half scraped-

and after about 2hrs this was the final 'de-rubbered' panel-

so now i just have the two small panels to 'de-rubber' next saturday then i can sand them smooth, degrease and begin the spraying process. :)

Christ, talk about thats the hard way to do it! Whoever posted that didn't even remove the lighter ring...

em.... I posted it lol

The lighter ring is removed now (didn't know it could be removed before I started this)

Also I tried a few different methods but this one seemed to work best for me as once you use the heat gun the 'rubber' scrapes of very easily, quickly and without much mess.

A lot of people talk about the methods they used (using acetone etc) but I haven't found a thread with pics of the process so I thought this might help the next person who wants to try this. :)

Edited by marcAB10 (see edit history)

• 8 months later...
Guest sureshot_james

If any of you guys have access to a glass bead machine you can take the rubber off in about ten minutes and it leaves a really nice satin finish on the plastic that is perfect for painting. I did mine and then painted them a matte black looks mean.

• 4 months later...
If any of you guys have access to a glass bead machine you can take the rubber off in about ten minutes and it leaves a really nice satin finish on the plastic that is perfect for painting. I did mine and then painted them a matte black looks mean.

That works nicely - but if you can't access a bead machine it can also be done simply with 180 grit wet&dry flatting paper and plenty of clean water to wash away the rubberised residue. By flatting the panels very very GENTLY, the 180 "coarsly" cuts the layers away and won't "glog-up" but only so long as it's washed out at very regular intervals. When all the rubbery stuffs gone, then GENTLY finish off with 400, then 6-800 for a final smooth "paint ready" surface. The trick is to let the flatting paper do the "cutting" and not to use any force which will enevitably clog-up the wet&dry. All panels can be done easily within 2-3 hours max. Regards - Rob - Likwidart.

SUPRA Dash kit 2.jpg

SUPRA Dash kit 1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...