The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Complaints Regarding THOR Racing

mawby

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete has now contacted me and told me which thread was causing him concern. I have deleted that thread. Unfortunately Pete has stated that he still intends to seek legal advice against the club unless the original thread author presents him with written accusations and evidence. :(

I would have thought the courts would laugh in his face, he told you which thread caused him offence, you deleted the thread in good time. Surely there is nothing more as a club we can do than that? The club is not reponsible for other peoples opinions or whether they apologise or not. Tell him to get f*cked.

I'd make a great mod :)

Unfortunately Pete has stated that he still intends to seek legal advice against the club unless the original thread author presents him with written accusations and evidence. :(

I hope this evidence exists.

Besides which, I'm sure there's plenty of proven cases where such actions have failed against forums...time to hit Google.

Pete has now contacted me and told me which thread was causing him concern. I have deleted that thread. Unfortunately Pete has stated that he still intends to seek legal advice against the club unless the original thread author presents him with written accusations and evidence. :(

I'm guessing that's Darren or P G Pete?

I expect you can't confirm or deny it.

I'd ban Thor for treating a members club in this manner...their only contribution has been disappointment.

I would have thought the courts would laugh in his face, he told you which thread caused him offence, you deleted the thread in good time. Surely there is nothing more as a club we can do than that? The club is not reponsible for other peoples opinions or whether they apologise or not. Tell him to get f*cked.

I'd make a great mod :)

:yeahthat:

Apart from the last bit ;) :p

Interesting Gaurdian article

Summary:

FAQ: Internet libel

Should internet service providers be worried about libel?

The issue of liability was a grey area for ISPs, but a workable system has developed through European and UK law whereby ISPs are not generally considered liable as long as they act to take down potentially libellous material when notified.

Does this affect freedom of speech?

Some have argued that in ISPs' haste to take down material complained about, they are in effect curtailing freedom of speech.

Why haven't more of these cases come to court?

Lawyers say cases between individuals have tended to be settled before reaching court.

What about site owners?

Uncertainty remains over whether a site owner such as the BBC would be liable, particularly if it claimed to moderate comments before they were added to a website.

If courts ruled that a forum owner was responsible for the content put on by its users then they would effectively wipe out chatroom and forum technology as owners would need to moderate every single post prior to publication to avoid litigation. Clearly not possible.

i might just host a website about the threat being made to a car members club from a trader when everything was done in its power to help.

Wont be able to sue me as thats what happened (my evidence is this thread), of course then people could feel free to link to it from every car forum. they then couldnt complain because it would be the truth.

Yes I've been doing some digging around too. http://www.connectedinternet.co.uk/2005/3/25/54

Just because you didn’t write any potentially libellous articles does not exonerate you, and David ran through an interesting case concerning Demon Internet to prove his point.

Site owners do not have to police their comments, but if someone posts something that is potentially libellous, you are obliged to take it down if someone tells you that they think it is libellous.

This however, puts bloggers in a difficult situation, because if the statement proves to be true rather than libellous, then if by removing it your actions could be deemed libellous.

To counter this, David recommended that site owners put a disclaimer on their site saying that any comments are permitted only because the site owner is letting you post, and that any comments will be removed for any reason at the absolute discretion of the site owner.

I think the club should be safe then. I took the post down as soon as Pete asked me to, and our registration rules state that we can delete any post/thread if we want to.

haha I like this site http://www.urban75.com/Action/libel.html

There is also a defence of 'fair comment' which is somewhat vague but is basically there to stop someone being sued for saying they don't like Marks & Spencer or McDonalds or Piers Morgan.

You are allowed to say that - even if you were a famous star or a very persuasive writer and it could damage them financially. That's the law.

However libel does not extend to the dead. Nor is being abusive libelous.

So I can say "Keith Moon was a smackhead lower of the highest order" and it's no problem. In fact I could say "every human who ever existed was a smack dealing, gun running, uncle fu*ker."

This is completely okay. That's UK libel!

I think the club should be safe then.

I'm 100% sure so.

"a timely reminder to all of us that the law on defamation applies as much on the internet as it does elsewhere.."

So all you guys that called me a homo in the last couple of years, that I do it with rubber dolls or like to stick things in my ass - watch out! :eyebrows:

every human who ever existed was a smack dealing, gun running, uncle fu*ker. - :rlol:!!

Would you please contact the domain owner/s and ask that they remove discussion content about our company and cease any further inflamatory discussion or we will have to begin action against the web domain hosts to shut the site down.

That is bullshit, shut the site down. Now i know for sure THOR do not need our custom any more.

Surely Thor could now argue that this thread is damaging their reputation?

I know that with their approach to the whole matter, I'll never use the c*nts.

Don't you see the difficult position that Thor have been put in, by the actions / statements of a few trigger-happy keyboard 'heros'? They have the awkward position of choosing between letting a few nasty threads run wild and ruin their business, or get heavy handed which makes people like you equally unwilling to use their services...if they don't stand up and protect themselves in a legal-defencible manner, they could wind up even worse off. The worst part is that some of the worst statements were by individuals in another country, believing that that somehow makes it OK, or they become untouchable by their location - there's not a lot Thor can do about that, but it still messes with their business.

Remember that it wasn't so long ago that EVERYONE was praising Thor.

this is pathetic... I thought that this was the entire point of this site, to aid the owners. IE poor trader, name them, good trader name them. I remember not so long ago that Martin (AKA Lucifier) had some negative response, but he choose to sort them out, in a plain site/public view.

What if you move the hosting of the site to somewhere like Thailand, where there are no laws, then we can say whatever we want to, without the threat of criminal action. Also we can then arrange for public hangings of thieving bastards!

This is only my opinion, please, no threats of law suits or criminal action, or else I will just have to take my supra and move back to South Africa, with straight open roads (going 30 - 40 kms stretches), very few speed cameras, corrupt cops, hell what am I waiting for, Im packing my car now!!!!!!!!!

Why not just reply adn publicly address each issue?

As we have all seen you do in the past... And other traders! :D

makes the customer happy, puts everything right in the members eyes (us), and the trader and pushed even higher up the pedistal.