The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Should my wastegate have a gap?

TLicense

As the title says, the valve has a gap around it to the housing when closed. Both my wastgates are the same, is this normal.

You can see the daylight getting in past the valve in this pic:-

and you can see the floor tiles past the valve in this pic:-

Have you not got a valve seat plate that sandwiches between the WG and Manifold. This is usualy what the valve will seal on. The valve will move inwards if that makes any scence. So yes the will be a gap to allow free movement. The sealing face will be either to the seal plate or the manifold will have a seat face on it ready to go.

IE:

wg1.gif

I've not got the "sandwich plate", but that is hopefully coming soon....

However, the valve is fully out, so even if there was a plate between the wastegate and the manifold, unless it had some kind of trick thing going on to mate up to the valve, exhaust gas would still leak past it if you see what I mean.

Here's an end on view:-

I've just added a pic to my last post. Nope the gas wouldnt leak past it bud. Once the Seat plate has mated up to the face of the WG valve and it forms a prefect seal. The plate sits between the manifold and in front of the valve. Once the valve Kisses the plate the only time gas can bypass it is when it moves inwards and opens. Grab hold of one of the gate and push the valve in , you will get what I mean :)