The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FAQ: Oil, Fluid, Interval, Capacity, Steering, Brake, Coolant, Diff, Engine.

Alex

what mobil can you get? I would be inclined to go for one of those.

Cheers

guy

mobil 1, 0w-40

mobil xhp 15w-40 etc.

Really need to know as i wanna drop the oil tomorrow.

How is castrol magnatec? My car has 35k miles, tt.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hope it's not too late.

Out of those, go for the Mobil 1 0w-40. Its a very good quality synthetic.

Magnatec is a decent semi-synthetic, but not near the quality of the Mobil 1.

I'm not familiar with the Mobil XHP, but from what I could see on the Mobil site, it's a pretty basic mineral oil. 15w-40 is also not the right grade. It's too thick when cold.

Cheers

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

changed my tt oil and filter today, used CASTROL EDGE 5W-40 Synthetic, seems to be a fine oil! made a difference in the car already. apparently its 8x better than mobil 1!? well it was cheaper so def more value for money!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Mmm is anyone going to read this? i'm taking my chance. I just bought a 94 N/A manual have no idea what oil is in it. Now why does every garage tell me not to put fully synthetic in it as fully synthetic didnt exist in 94? and here i read you recommend fully syntetic. allso 5-30 10-40 is not good just go for the 15-40 semi syntetic to be sure they tell me. I'm really confused...as i read on this thread to use full synthetic and very convinced barged into the garage(s) only to get confused by annoying people looking at me as if i just killed someone when i tell them this.

I don't doubt the forums knowledge about oil but i just need a little more push in the back :p Or do i just buy semi syntetic?

thx

The reason they recommend the basic oils is because they have 200L drums of the stuff and want to overcharge you for it. You could use the basic oils, but they won't give the best protection. Garages tend to know nothing about oil, they just think that all cars take the same stuff and the cheapest oils are just as good as the expensive ones.

In 94, if there were good synthetic oils around (I don't remember back then, I was only 15), Toyota would have used them. Now there are some great synthetic oils, why not use them?

Next time the garages tell you you're wrong, get them to email us.

• 3 weeks later...
Standard LSD yes.

Cheers

Guy.

Mr Oil Man, which brake fluid would you recommend for my endless brake set up..? I'm making a list of fluids for a full service on my car this is what I've put together so far. Can you give me your opinion please.

Can you please send me a quote for a full fluid replacement for my 2000 Toyota Supra J-Spec TT6 VVTI BPU+ 400bhp.

This is the list I've collected so far.

Transmission oil: 2lt of V160 as used by toyota standard…This is hard to obtain do you have it in stock? Other wise I think whifbitz have it..

Differential Oil: 2lt of 75w90 - Motul Gear 300

Engine Oil: 5lt Pro S 10w-50 / Silkolene PRO S

Brake Fluid: 2lt of Motul RBF600

Coolant: 9lt of Toyota 4Life Red '' I have a Greddy radiator '' still 9lt…?

NGK Plugs: NGK 6097

What do you think guys...?

RBF600 is a good choice for your set up, if you want to go better than that, the RBF660 is very good without being as expensive as the Castrol SRF. The Gear 300 is an ok diff oil choice, the Silkolene Syn 5 is better. Pro S 10w-50 is a good one for the engine. We don't sell any of the Toyota fluids, so I can't hellp you with those.

You pay the members prices on the site for eveything and at the moment, if you use the MAYOFFER code you get an extra 15% off.

Edited by oilman (see edit history)

RBF600 is a good choice for your set up, if you want to go better than that, the RBF660 is very good without being as expensive as the Castrol SRF. The Gear 300 is an ok diff oil choice, the Silkolene Syn 5 is better. Pro S 10w-50 is a good one for the engine. We don't sell any of the Toyota fluids, so I can't hellp you with those.

You pay the members prices on the site for eveything and at the moment, if you use the MAYOFFER code you get an extra 15% off.

Thank's for the advice..! what is the May offer code..? can you ship it to Portugal..?

Some information about the W58 NA gearbox to update the first post (taken from the service manuals)

5-Speed Manual W58 (NA only)

Capacity = 2.6 litres

Recommended Oil = Any 75w/90 Gear oil should be ok. Motul Gear300 is a good option.

Stock Oil = SAE 75W-90/API GL-5 Gear Oil

Interval = Check transmission fluid level every 15,000 miles or 24

months. Service interval is not available for vehicles operated under

normal conditions.

Replace transmission fluid every 15,000 miles or 24

months if used under severe / heavy conditions