The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Injector cleaner

Dnk

Like Redex? 

I've used Redex a few times on a petrol and diesel car, certainly made a difference in cleaning the crap out. Throw it in, take it for a decent run and sometimes you'll feel the engine stutter almost for a split second where the crap in the lines is getting chucked out. I haven't used it on a modern car tho

• Like 1

The choice of additives in fuel comes down to what you are hoping to achieve, which fuel and how old your car is. Pre-2007 it is not recommended to put any sulphur containing additives in as this can negatively impact your cat(s) and oxygen sensor(s). Not sure where the 2007 comes in seeing cats were around long before then. The other thing on fuels is that there are advantages to adding additives to petrol to stabilise the ethanol which will become more of an issue as the E numbers will only get bigger over time. That is not an issue in diesel vehicles but gas recirculation causes a lot more oiling fouling of the intake and a good solvent additives can help keep this moving rather than setting down as hard gunk deposits. 

If you have an old car then there are a ton of videos on the likes of SeaFoam and Marvel Mystery oil, for more modern engines there are recommendations for Gumout which does contain additives similar to Shell premium fuels but in higher concentrations and is cat plus sensor safe. I've used additives in fuels over the years that gave me an extra 2 years on an Audi turbo that had a sticking actuator that would over boost and put the car into limp mode and I also stick a splash in the tank of the cars that I lay up for months at a time to stop the ethanol separation that in a steel tank will cause corrosion and sludge. 

You could have a whole day of fun watching thousands of fuel and oil additive test and comparison videos on YouTube.

10 hours ago, rider said:

The choice of additives in fuel comes down to what you are hoping to achieve, which fuel and how old your car is. Pre-2007 it is not recommended to put any sulphur containing additives in as this can negatively impact your cat(s) and oxygen sensor(s). Not sure where the 2007 comes in seeing cats were around long before then. The other thing on fuels is that there are advantages to adding additives to petrol to stabilise the ethanol which will become more of an issue as the E numbers will only get bigger over time. That is not an issue in diesel vehicles but gas recirculation causes a lot more oiling fouling of the intake and a good solvent additives can help keep this moving rather than setting down as hard gunk deposits. 

If you have an old car then there are a ton of videos on the likes of SeaFoam and Marvel Mystery oil, for more modern engines there are recommendations for Gumout which does contain additives similar to Shell premium fuels but in higher concentrations and is cat plus sensor safe. I've used additives in fuels over the years that gave me an extra 2 years on an Audi turbo that had a sticking actuator that would over boost and put the car into limp mode and I also stick a splash in the tank of the cars that I lay up for months at a time to stop the ethanol separation that in a steel tank will cause corrosion and sludge. 

You could have a whole day of fun watching thousands of fuel and oil additive test and comparison videos on YouTube.

Thanks for that, my car is an 04 BMW E46 3.0 petrol, I'll have a look at the Gumout