The mkiv Supra Owners Club

30th anniversary stickers?

turnerjr

13 hours ago, ellis said:

I think you’ll find yours was quite impolite.

Here’s your brief: using the 20th Anniversary sticker as a basis, create a sticker/logo in the same style so they sit together. As there is no ‘Supra’ font you’ll need to create your own number 30 using the Supra logo for ‘parts’. Must include the years in question. Must include reference to ‘mkivsupra.net’. Must be easy to reproduce as both a vinyl, static cling sticker and on clothing. Would be nice to incorporate the Toyota logo. Must include the Supra logo. 

Look forward to your designs. 

im happy to include all the relevant information, but it wont be in the same style as the 20th one as that was 10years ago and i dont see why it needs to look the same

2 hours ago, broomie said:

im happy to include all the relevant information, but it wont be in the same style as the 20th one as that was 10years ago and i dont see why it needs to look the same

Because one of the things to consider is that a lot of members still have the 20th Anniversary sticker on their cars etc and having something in the same vein 10 years later just kinda works. Being a designer is not about doing whatever the hell you want just because it looks 'nice' - it has to have a reason for being and it has to answer to a brief. But what the hell do I know!? 😂

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ellis said:

Because one of the things to consider is that a lot of members still have the 20th Anniversary sticker on their cars etc and having something in the same vein 10 years later just kinda works. Being a designer is not about doing whatever the hell you want just because it looks 'nice' - it has to have a reason for being and it has to answer to a brief. But what the hell do I know!? 😂

Design is about progression, but when updating a classic well know design, its important to include many elements of the original so the end product is visually recognisable to its predecessor.

If your opinion on design were true, this club would not even exist, we would all be driving Model T's but with a different digit on the reg plate each year! 😞

Life moves on, trends change. Aspiration to. Is the ownership even the same as it was 10 years ago? You certainly didn't have a regular $100k Supra's ten years ago, few today could contemplate buying into that.

If the brief is to pay homage to continuity then carrying forward an historical theme is perfect, reflecting a natural ageing progression. Even though the Toyota Supra Mk4 has evolved into the motoring icon that it is today largely over the last 10 years. Time could be ripe to embrace that, for something confident and bold. There aren't many cars that a true motoring icons and we are mostly fortunate to actually own a car that is, today, one of those very rare true motoring icons. If the Supra in its metal form was art, it has become a timelessly beauty. Maybe it deserves its pride of place on a badge somewhere? I never got emotionally moved myself by the Toyota bull horns, that was never the reason why I bought my Supra in the 90's

Broomie, I suggest you stop talking nonsense and crack on with your own design. 

The 20th anniversary sticker will be staying on my car, so having a 30th anniversary sticker to go next to it that contains many elements of the original and is visually recognisable to its predecessor works for me. Isn’t that what Ellis has done? 

Ellis does lots for this club and should be shown more respect.

• Like 2

I asked ChatGPT to design one for the bants and I think it's largely agrees with Ellis on the design (as do I!)

"The badge is circular and measures about 3 inches in diameter. The background color is silver, and the text and graphics are in black and red.

In the center of the badge is the silhouette of a fourth-generation Toyota Supra, with the words "30th Anniversary" written underneath in bold, red letters. The car silhouette is black, and it has a red outline to make it stand out.

Around the edge of the badge, there is a black border with the words "MK4 Supra" written at the top in bold, capitalized letters. At the bottom, there is the Toyota logo in red and black.

Overall, this badge is a sleek and stylish way to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the MK4 Toyota Supra. It's the perfect accessory for any fan or owner of this iconic car."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, broomie said:

Design is about progression, but when updating a classic well know design, its important to include many elements of the original so the end product is visually recognisable to its predecessor.

If your opinion on design were true, this club would not even exist, we would all be driving Model T's but with a different digit on the reg plate each year! 😞

8 hours ago, rider said:

Life moves on, trends change. Aspiration to. Is the ownership even the same as it was 10 years ago? You certainly didn't have a regular $100k Supra's ten years ago, few today could contemplate buying into that.

If the brief is to pay homage to continuity then carrying forward an historical theme is perfect, reflecting a natural ageing progression. Even though the Toyota Supra Mk4 has evolved into the motoring icon that it is today largely over the last 10 years. Time could be ripe to embrace that, for something confident and bold. There aren't many cars that a true motoring icons and we are mostly fortunate to actually own a car that is, today, one of those very rare true motoring icons. If the Supra in its metal form was art, it has become a timelessly beauty. Maybe it deserves its pride of place on a badge somewhere? I never got emotionally moved myself by the Toyota bull horns, that was never the reason why I bought my Supra in the 90's

Dear god, I feel dumber for just reading these replies. If you can do better, do it. Criticising is easy, anybody can do that. If you want to actually be constructive then feel free to offer your creative solutions here. Broomie, you've said you shall be so I look forward to your design suggestions. Rider, you contribute the square root of f%ck all to this group, to meetings and trips so when you actually make an effort instead of just sitting there mashing your forehead into your keyboard I might actually take notice of the words you type, as might the rest of us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, rider said:

If the brief is to pay homage to continuity then carrying forward an historical theme is perfect

I think that means you like it?

I think they look great, I love that we have continuity in the design / style throughout our events. It's not my place, but I'd like to say a massive thank you as always @ellis for your huge time and effort with contributions like this to the club over the years.

Tangent; I was looking at the covers of the Beastie Boys releases last night and thought what a horrible disjointed mess over time they were. Poor design, no continuity, no real brand identity. Not that it did them any harm.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think that means you like it?

It's lovely but.

Often creative types can be emotional types which is fine, it comes with the territory. Sometimes suggestions are merely that and being merely that they can be discarded, embodied or even built upon. To jump to the "your criticising" option out the box is also fine in these woke feelings first and foremost times. It really is a whatever.

Suggestions are only an aid to creativity. Look at some other truly  iconic cars and what associated memorabilia will usually feature.  On a vintage Mustang you can utilise a Ford logo or a running pony. For the Jag e-type would you feature the car or use a BL logo? With the Corolla, you can obviously just go for the Bull Horns.

24 minutes ago, rider said:

Often creative types can be emotional types

Ever done a DiSC test? https://www.discprofile.com/what-is-disc/disc-styles

They're really interesting and highlights why everybody is different. It really helped me to realise that some people I've worked with in the past aren't trying to be assholes (from my perspective), they're just made that way.

I think for Jag you'd go with the standard cat rather than a picture of an oily Brummie with a spanner in his hand.

The ovals concept doesn't really lend itself to anything obvious - which means it's wide open to interpretation.
For anyone that didn't realise: 

The overlapping of the two perpendicular ovals inside the outer oval symbolize "T" for Toyota, as well as a steering wheel representing the vehicle itself. The outer oval symbolizes the world that embraces Toyota. Each oval is contoured with different stroke thicknesses, similar to the brush art in Japanese culture.

🥱 How exciting.

Toyota as a brand has never really embraced the concept of nurturing classics (recent half assed attempt of parts aside), I wonder if that's a cultural thing? They seem proud of their heritage, but equally keen to move on and embrace the future?

It's a very interesting topic, human behaviour traits. I always felt that a lot comes down to common sense. I quickly worked out in a workplace that assholes weren't really assholes but there were plenty of unmotivated or right people in the wrong job situations. My without compare greatest pride in managerial achievement, way beyond driving the bottom line, was to point and mentor people in the right direction which often entailed a change of direction, to suit their personality. Talking to an individual you'd work out that they weren't really a sales person but would be ideal and flourish in QC. Or on one occasion redirecting and mentoring a junior techie into logistics and seeing them thrive and develop into a senior management role. 

There is a very productive saying that no idea is a bad idea. A statement of apparent fact backed by a study run at Berkeley University in 2003, specifically around creativity and how perceived conflict (sub perceived criticism) within a group really if harnessed does stimulate creativity and deliver much improved results. 

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, broomie said:

Due to your negativity and bad attitude, i decided not to waste my time as it wouldnt have made any difference. I did start a design, which ill attach for anyone thats interested.

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 22.43.49.png

Oh, did the negative comment affect your creative spirit? Doesn't feel good does it.

I do see the benefit the 'embossed' silhouette of the car brings to a design, it is clearly a recognisable representation of a Supra Mk4. Where the bull horns say anything from Corolla to Hilux. Maybe you two could work together to create fantastic things, if you have collectively the time and inclination, leaving any spats at the door. Group think can be a lot of fun.