The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Black UK Spec TT completely unmodified with only 66k

Guru

Hi all,

My dad has reluctantly decided to part ways with his UK Supra. He bought it back in 1993 brand new off Toyota and has loved it ever since.  

It's got immaculate bodywork and cream leather interior with only 66,000 on the clock. Obviously the best bit is it has zero modifications, everything is original. He even kept all the brochures and docs from when he got it! It really has been well taken care of, someone is going to get a real beauty.

It's going to Manor House Classics auction house as this is a rather special car. Below is the write up and link to the lot, it's got quite a few photos and videos on the site too, but if anyone has got any questions then send me your number and I'll pass it on to him or just shout here and I'll proxy. 

Estimate is £38,000 - £42,000 on Saturday Feb 25th @ Manor Park Classics, WA7 1TA

1993 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
An exceptional UK-supplied manual model, offered in original specification and one owner from new

Chassis: JT164JA8000004164
Odometer: 66,000
Transmission: Manual
MOT: September 2023

• Desirable twin turbo manual model
  • UK home market car
  • One owner from new
  • Offered in original specification
  • Supplied with the original bill of sale
  • 15 stamps in the service booklet, 13 of which are main dealer
  • Complete with original book pack
  • Driven some 60 miles to the saleroom
  • Matching set of Continental tyres
  • The vendor states that the Supra has always been run on Super Unleaded and has never been used on a track

We are delighted to bring this one of kind 1993 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Manual to market. One of only 250 original UK - specification twin turbo manual cars, one owner from new and in completely unmolested condition, go and find another. Supplied new by Lindop Bros, Queensferry on 30th September 1993 to the vendor for the princely sum of £38,000. Finished in Astral Black with contrasting Beige upholstery and a Black dashboard. The V5 does state there is one former keeper, however, it was originally bought through the vendor’s company and has since been transferred into their name. Fitted with a 3.0-litre twin-turbocharged ‘2JZ-GTE’ straight-six engine, producing 326bhp, coupled to a Getrag V160 six-speed manual gearbox with a Torsen limited-slip differential.

The vendor states that this Supra has always been run on Super Unleaded and has never been used on a track. Couple this with the 15 service stamps (13 Main dealer) in the service booklet indicates how fastidious the owner is. This 90’s Japanese icon is a joy to drive on the road, it feels tight and robust, as you’d expect from a Toyota. The 3-litre twin-turbo engine produces effortless power whilst the seats and interior cabin keeps you in pure comfort.

The original paint presents well with a few age-related marks here and there, as to be expected. The inside is similarly well preserved as is the underneath. Completely standard (and all the rarer for it), the Supra is a genuine timewarp and presents better – to our eyes at least - than even its modest mileage would suggest. Increasingly collectible, this exceptional Supra is offered for sale with V5C Registration, original bill of sale, previous MOT certificates and an array of invoices. Be sure not to miss this one, as prices of these continue to soar and you certainly wont find another like this.

https://auctions.manorparkclassics.com/auction/lot/65-1993-toyota-supra-twin-turbo/?lot=1089

The decision to go to auction is a wise one as auctions are where best and new record prices are set. It may not be the best timing, winter facing economic uncertainties but even so the estimate looks to be on the conservative side. 

For us dad types, and now a grandad type, there will come a time when the Supra presents comfort and ease of access challenges. I'm fortunate that my daughter has volunteered to take my own Supra burden off me when I'm ready as a tax free gift. It is after all only worth £460 according to certain car buying site. If you are lucky, the car won't meet the reserve and your dad will just say here you are son.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Guru said:

Thanks for all the PM's, the main question was would he sell privately which after some thought the answer is no. 

I would personally add a % on the asking price. It may be a better sell than risking the auction.

A buyer who doesn't plan to sell on would pay a better price, as many private buyers won't purchase through an auction house. Which is traditionally trades that want a slice on top.

4 hours ago, Guru said:

Thanks for all the PM's, the main question was would he sell privately which after some thought the answer is no. 

Do you have any pictures of the underneath?

If a strong offer at the higher end of the estimate was offered I would be tempted to accept, as although it’s only done 2k per year on average the value is in the condition as an easy 20k+ can be spent on the underneath as many have found out!

looks a great base though👍

4 hours ago, Noz said:

A buyer who doesn't plan to sell on would pay a better price, as many private buyers won't purchase through an auction house. Which is traditionally trades that want a slice on top.

This is more correct if you are buying a 2019 Ford Focus than a classic car, particularly an iconic classic car.

It is the auction price in the World of desirable Classics that drives the market price. When a new auction sales record is set on a rising trend then the marketplace moves up. US auction prices for low mile Supras are now more than once over $200,000. I doubt a private buyer on your driveway would voluntarily stump up a better price. There are so many benefits of selling a high value car at auction. To list but a few you get the cash without any worries or concerns, you reach a wider and Global audience on a web site, you don't need to worry about misrepresentation as the auction house does the representation, you are covered by insurance, no test pilots. I could go on.

On 1/29/2023 at 4:16 PM, rider said:

This is more correct if you are buying a 2019 Ford Focus than a classic car, particularly an iconic classic car.

It is the auction price in the World of desirable Classics that drives the market price. When a new auction sales record is set on a rising trend then the marketplace moves up. US auction prices for low mile Supras are now more than once over $200,000. I doubt a private buyer on your driveway would voluntarily stump up a better price. There are so many benefits of selling a high value car at auction. To list but a few you get the cash without any worries or concerns, you reach a wider and Global audience on a web site, you don't need to worry about misrepresentation as the auction house does the representation, you are covered by insurance, no test pilots. I could go on.

This. There is a huge risk selling to a private buyer for the sums of money they are now worth, so many things that could go wrong. If I sell, I am 100% going through an auction house. Yes you have to pay them a fee but they are taking all the risk for that fee.

On 1/29/2023 at 4:03 PM, blythmrk said:

Do you have any pictures of the underneath?

If a strong offer at the higher end of the estimate was offered I would be tempted to accept, as although it’s only done 2k per year on average the value is in the condition as an easy 20k+ can be spent on the underneath as many have found out!

looks a great base though👍

https://collect.wetransfer.com/board/szm2bv5ofgn4mssxd20230124094849

Ouch… that’s going to need a lot of work underneath… just been blasted with underseal…looks like it’s been stood looking at the brake discs as they are shot too.

it’s a good thing the auction house put the underneath pics up defo…

• Like 3

Undersides always make me appreciate my own hard work and big money new OE parts spend on the underside in 2017. Sadly, that's not even possible these days with so many parts sold out. Many were hard to track down in 2017. Everyone knows that refurbishment is a poor investment as every £10 spent probably adds £2 to the value. If I factored my labour in it'd probably be 10:1. The only upside is that I enjoy looking at my cars underside as I wipe it down with lint free cloths, and the MOT tester loves it to.

So, a possibly/probably crusty under the wax UK Supra likely isn't going to be knocked hard at auction. If someone wants it to join a collection then it'll get sorted irrespective of the cost. It just needs the right two bidders on the day.

Crusty arms and hubs look bad but aren't really crucial and could clean up ok, it's impossible to tell about the body without a in person inspection, the exhaust shields if original give some hope it's not too bad underneath the underseal?  But defo work to be done!   Almost crazy to me that they didn't spend at least time some with wire brushes and some mild phosphoric acid on a rag.

Makes me think that some of the 'you could eat your dinner of that' ones in the club should make more but might well not!? 

(un?)arguably if you are buying a £40K+ 25 year old car then it's not your last few grand going into it and you expect and can afford the clean up.............massively different times/owners these days!  

Edited by Scooter (see edit history)
  • Like 1

With supras coming upto 30 years old now that's what 95% of them look like underneath. £20k will get that looking mint again though. you also have to think about all the engine rubbers too as most of these have perished and are waiting to split/burst. I'm having my engine bay done atm and I'm already £1.7k ish deep on just little parts that have corroded/split/perished. In another 5/10 years all these supra owners that haven't had this work done are going to be in for a big shock when the come to do it and no parts are left. Best to do them now people as the parts supply is drying up rapidly and its almost everyday another item becomes discontinued!

If it's a rare spec like a UK model I think it's worth it to the people who'll buy it, i.e. collectors. Labour from stripping the car and welding in new material adds up quickly, but doing it properly isn't something that most people can do at home.

I'd expect whoever buys it does a full on restoration of the whole car and parks it in a hangar somewhere for the next few decades.

I was offered to join a car club not long back that had people spending upwards of 30k on builds.

Most of us here are stuck in the 10k for a tt auto days, indeed on the supra reddit there are people asking if they should buy an TT auto or a r8 GTR ect. If you take a look what the Americans are paying for N/As these days you will die.

People buying these days have no issue with spending a wad on them and will do so without thinking. 

I would doubt any would be buyer will be put off by that underside.

Most of us here are stuck in the 10k for a tt auto days,

I'm old enough to recall the sub £10k TT manual days, I bottomed out my own cars insurance value lower than that. It has to be hard for anyone who paid those sub £10k prices to get their heads around spending £20k plus on the underside of a car. After all you could get a really good paint job and a valet for that price and everyone would then be saying she's a minter.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

20 hours ago, rider said:

I'm old enough to recall the sub £10k TT manual days, I bottomed out my own cars insurance value lower than that. It has to be hard for anyone who paid those sub £10k prices to get their heads around spending £20k plus on the underside of a car. After all you could get a really good paint job and a valet for that price and everyone would then be saying she's a minter.

The people buying now with spend both the 20k on the underside then the 20k on the respray.

They are becoming a rich persons plaything. 

I almost find it uncomfortable/stressful now!  Only one of my 10 supra's was bought for over £10K and that was a 98 car in around 2003 so only 5 years old at the time.

I'm just keeping up on servicing, resigned to the costs if I decide to refresh it in anyway, but honestly tempted to bail out for something else that's more in the vain of under the radar value. Can't bring myself to do that right now (there aren't many decent vfm propositions that I can see?) and am happy driving it as is for the time being, it still provides the smiles.

This will be interesting, as it's basically my car but 2 years older, rotten underneath with partial service history. Where as mine is 2 years younger, by no means perfect but not rotten or structurally rusty underneath (lets call it honest!), full service history but with a few more miles on the clock. I'll be watching closely as a benchmark for my agreed valuation due in a few months time.

Hardly being used is a killer unless its dry stored in a Carcoon or similar

Could be a nightmare looking at the mot history

4000 miles in 17 years is such a waste of a proper car, no offence but it doesn't sound like its been loved that much and borderline abandoned 

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 3:29 PM, Dnk said:

Hardly being used is a killer unless its dry stored in a Carcoon or similar

Could be a nightmare looking at the mot history

4000 miles in 17 years is such a waste of a proper car, no offence but it doesn't sound like its been loved that much and borderline abandoned 

No could about it Dunk, the photos show it's going to need serious work underneath. I'd be surprised if it didn't need some welding doing. Looks pretty grim from the link I shared above.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.