The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Winter use?

mharvey

I wonder if there are many using their Supra's at the moment?

I had planned to tuck mine up for the winter however I then realised that I've waited circa 8 years for it to be at a standard where I can just use it and yet in the last year I've only done circa 2,000 miles.

A friend uses his BMW M5 all year round so why can't I use my performance car, AND if I'm not using it then I should sell it and buy something more useable....That being said, the latest -5º with an 800hp single turbo and no traction control has been interesting 🤣

So last week I popped down to SRD for a quick check over and MOT and then haven't stopped using it since!

573034367_IMG_9873(1).jpeg.1d71175ca747e41cf6325cef06aaed12.jpeg

I've been commuting the 80mile round trip to work in it over the last few days and it's absolutely filthy. She's going to get a good old bath now and the underside too but I'm not scared to use it now and that, for me, is priceless!!!

396663735_IMG_0002(1).jpeg.814f721f44a5f6bebfb82794b7b3c09a.jpeg

Edited by mharvey (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm still using mine every day. I usually hand-wash it every week or two depending on how wet the roads have been. I did a 400 mile round trip over xmas and it got absolutely disgusting. Mine's white so it probably shows up the dirt even more.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mc92 said:

I'm still using mine every day. I usually hand-wash it every week or two depending on how wet the roads have been. I did a 400 mile round trip over xmas and it got absolutely disgusting. Mine's white so it probably shows up the dirt even more.

Nice one!

I used to do a lot more miles when mine was NA but since the latest build I've made plenty of excuses for it! I haven't done any 400 mile trips this year but I will try and catch up haha. 

Like you said, regular washing is key. I'm going to have it up on stands and do underneath over the next couple days (anybody in Bucks with an outdoor ramp haha)

Each to their own really. If you've got the bug as the car is how you've wanted it for a long time, drive it as much as you want. 

I take mine off the road as soon as the salt gritters come out. Salted roads are a PITA for grime, corrosion AND traction, so I leave mine off the road and look forward to Spring. 

Salted roads could be combated by a good coat of underseal or if you wanted something less long term ACF50. I dont use mine because i dont want to pay the government €400 to tax the thing for 3m and its only 6 miles to work. Also i dont have a place to park it for work safely like i did at the old office.

Fair play for driving it all year though, maybe a spare set of wheels with winter tyres might help for the winter.

Edited by TuneR (see edit history)

10 hours ago, The Raven said:

Yeah mine gets mot early November then off road till late next month.

they have got to a stage a slight bump and the insurance will probably write it off. 

I must admit this is my biggest fear, but I also do like to see Supra's being used, not garage queens!

8 hours ago, TuneR said:

Salted roads could be combated by a good coat of underseal or if you wanted something less long term ACF50. I dont use mine because i dont want to pay the government €400 to tax the thing for 3m and its only 6m to work. Also i dont have a place to park it for work safely like i did at the old office.

Fair play for driving it all year though, maybe a spare set of wheels with winter tyres might help for the winter.

Yeah, mines due a bit of work on the underside as it has never had any extra protection done in its life. 

I still won't drive it on salted roads as it goes against the grain for me, but it can never hurt having a well protected underside. 

Can you not tax it monthly? 

16 hours ago, Big Supes said:

Can you not tax it monthly? 

In this digital age of technology with easy working from home access, AI generated art and the onset of self driving cars, no. Our motor tax is still living in the dark ages, you can tax it 3m, 6m or 12m or declare it off the road for 12m. Want to tax your motorcycle, 12m please. It was a joke in 2010 not to mind 2023.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TuneR said:

In this digital age of technology with easy working from home access, AI generated art and the onset of self driving cars, no. Our motor tax is still living in the dark ages, you can tax it 3m, 6m or 12m or declare it off the road for 12m. Want to tax your motorcycle, 12m please. It was a joke in 2010 not to mind 2023.

What country do you live in? Because in the UK you can tax it online for say 12 months, use the car, then go back online before the end of the month and declare it SORN again. You will then get refunded 11 months 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TuneR said:

What a PITA. 

One of the rare things our government have got right over here is, like @Burnasaid, you can tax you can and and off.

I pay monthly on the Supra and declare it off the road during the winter. 

4 hours ago, Burna said:

What country do you live in? Because in the UK you can tax it online for say 12 months, use the car, then go back online before the end of the month and declare it SORN again. You will then get refunded 11 months 🙂

Southern Ireland, we need to have at least 3m tax left to get a refund and even then you need a good reason (illness, scrapped, stolen, letter from god). You cant just decide not to use the car, madness!

I have one of those, although it is variable height on the washer you do need fair clearance even on the lowest (flat) setting. I used it on my old merc and it was amazing how much soil it cleared off in clumps from the underside so its quite powerful. The underside washer used to be offered as a free add on to the pressure washers when I bought my Karcher probably around 4 years ago now. I've only used it once as you need to set assemble it each time. I'm sure I'll use it again sometime, maybe within the next 5 years.

• 2 months later...