The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Home Energy Costs and Temperatures

SupraAyf

Just having read of this thread and so far me and the misses havent put heating on and hopefully wont till middle November at least, we've got it set on 10 degrees but so far hasn't kicked in, we live in brand new 3 bed house and both work full time but do have 8 snake viv's on 24hours a day to keep them warm and our combined energy bill has just gone down to £132 a month and we still in credit, so my advice is to get reptiles with proper setup's as keeps house waem and if have snake room like we do, can dry clothes in there for free cause the room is always very warm.

I got at least another ton of wood from my a family member who had some conifers cut.

im starting to cut them for next winter. I also have Uk power coming to trim some trees interfering with power lines. They seemed very keen to leave all the wood here.

I think a chat to what they do with all the unwanted wood on other jobs is in order…. 

I will horde as much as I can get 

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, raddys said:

We just got an old Victorian house this month, high ceilings and massive single glazed windows, im actually cringing to see what our 1st months gas and elec bills going to be 😬

On the upside it looks good 😂

Pray for a warm winter, that's going to be pricey, asking for fleeces from Santa? 

Edited by Annabella (see edit history)

On 10/24/2022 at 8:31 AM, mwilkinson said:

Anyone running solar with a Tesla Power Wall?  Interested to hear of your experience.

We looked into them. 

the main advantage was being able to power the house in a outage. The down side is the eye watering cost to install.

unless we get a ev or two in the house it would take so many years to get your money back it’s false economy.

We have a friend that just installed the biggest none commercial set up you can have. I’ve asked them to work out saving per year. 

Once I get that I will let you know 

26 minutes ago, The Raven said:

We looked into them. 

the main advantage was being able to power the house in a outage. The down side is the eye watering cost to install.

unless we get a ev or two in the house it would take so many years to get your money back it’s false economy.

We have a friend that just installed the biggest none commercial set up you can have. I’ve asked them to work out saving per year. 

Once I get that I will let you know 

Thanks 👍

Another important aspect for me is the ability of the battery system to act as a power backup in the event of a power outage. 

Apparenly very few of the powerwall and equivalent systems offer this functionality.  I'm sure I read recently that there were only 3 systems available in the UK at the moment.

On 10/26/2022 at 7:17 AM, mwilkinson said:

Thanks 👍

Another important aspect for me is the ability of the battery system to act as a power backup in the event of a power outage. 

Apparenly very few of the powerwall and equivalent systems offer this functionality.  I'm sure I read recently that there were only 3 systems available in the UK at the moment.

Yeah I thought this was very specifically not allowed. Can't risk feeding back power from the house onto the grid in the event of outages. I certainly couldn't find any systems with this functionality a couple of years or so ago when I was looking into it.

2 hours ago, Dnk said:

Isn't having the wood burner on cheating ? Be like me putting the gas fire on in the lounge 🤪

No. As this thread is about energy costs 😀 our wood is free and carbon neutral as we've grown it, or trees that have come down because of disease/dangerous, laurels grow like crazy and reduce them, 5 years later you can harvest them again. 😛 besides it's colder up north!

• Like 1

Well done to everyone so far 😉

The missus and I are chuffed to say that we've made it to the 15th November but it was touch and go during the cold spot a few days ago when the temps went down to low single digits.

To give you an idea of our energy costs too date; we have used 93% less gas and 26% less electricity than we did from mid-May to October of 2021 over the same 5-month period in 2022.

This may sound like a good result but we now have EDF pestering the crap out of us every few days by saying that we must be entering an incorrect meter reading.

The missus has written a note to EDF to tell them to stop harassing us and accept the bloody reading.

EDF then apologised before issuing a refund of £270 back to our bank account.............and then three days later EDF sent a fourth letter to say that our meter reading must be wrong and they intend to increase our monthly direct debit by £70 based on our 2021 projected usage readings.

If I hadn't experienced this nonsense first hand then I really would not believe that a company could be so crap.

In the meantime we intend to keep on going for a while longer unless the water in the dogs drinking bowl freezes over, lol.

Good luck all,

Andrew

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SupraAyf said:

Well done to everyone so far 😉

The missus and I are chuffed to say that we've made it to the 15th November but it was touch and go during the cold spot a few days ago when the temps went down to low single digits.

To give you an idea of our energy costs too date; we have used 93% less gas and 26% less electricity than we did from mid-May to October of 2021 over the same 5-month period in 2022.

This may sound like a good result but we now have EDF pestering the crap out of us every few days by saying that we must be entering an incorrect meter reading.

The missus has written a note to EDF to tell them to stop harassing us and accept the bloody reading.

EDF then apologised before issuing a refund of £270 back to our bank account.............and then three days later EDF sent a fourth letter to say that our meter reading must be wrong and they intend to increase our monthly direct debit by £70 based on our 2021 projected usage readings.

If I hadn't experienced this nonsense first hand then I really would not believe that a company could be so crap.

In the meantime we intend to keep on going for a while longer unless the water in the dogs drinking bowl freezes over, lol.

Good luck all,

Andrew

LMAO thats priceless. 

93% less gas is an amazing result. 

I bet they think you fiddling the meter 

• Like 1

It's been mild so far bar a couple of days so we've been lucky, only hot water being used with gas, electric hob oven etc and the Smart meter is still up over £6 by the end of the day, god knows what it would be if the heating was on, probably nudging £10 a day 

5 hours ago, Dnk said:

It's been mild so far bar a couple of days so we've been lucky, only hot water being used with gas, electric hob oven etc and the Smart meter is still up over £6 by the end of the day, god knows what it would be if the heating was on, probably nudging £10 a day 

Yep same here, the Mrs keeps looking at it here too!