The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ATI Dampner, No A/C Aux belt help needed please

Suprakeith

Hello chaps just wondering if anyone could offer some help or advice please, i've got a problem with my Aux belt squealing really bad after put foot down, the belt is from Whifbitz and is what they recommend for cars with no AC, but been doing some reading and as i have a ATI version 2 crack dampener it could be because the belt is too wide, was thinking it was power steering pulley causing issue but unsure now. When belt starts squealing all have to do is turn engine off and using 14mm socket slacken off belt on tensioner and refit then it stops, and all is fine until put foot down again. 

From reading i think need belt Gates K060775 but not 100% sure, so thought would ask on here if anyone is sure that's the belt or if need different belt please? 

Really want to get this sorted before take car to Santa pod on 9th October, plus cause of this i am not really able to enjoy the car as everytime come on boost and give her some have to pull over to stop the annoying squealing aux belt.

1 hour ago, mattdavies said:

What belt do you have currently ? 

I would suggest a belt that is a little shorter, Belt part numbers normally include the length I think about 5mm shorter is the norm to try 

At moment have the gates belt from Whifbitz that is shorter cause don’t have AC pump, can’t remember code of top of head but do have it at home. 

I have had squealing belts under load on one of my cars when the belt profile didn't match one of the pulley notches; on an aftermarket PAS setup.

Whifbitz are rarely known to be oversold so you can buy a replacement, correct width and belt profile from a good many cost effective sources. I've used both of these 2 suppliers for anything from car belts to large machinery really long belts and all has been good.

If I was ever unsure of a belt length, then templating a length of string or bailer twine always worked for me.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Belts/c4601/index.html

https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/V-and-Wedge-Belts-1025-c

As a footnote, I solved my belt slip arising from different pulley profiles by moving from a wedge to a tooth belt.

Edited by rider (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rider said:

I have had squealing belts under load on one of my cars when the belt profile didn't match one of the pulley notches; on an aftermarket PAS setup.

Whifbitz are rarely known to be oversold so you can buy a replacement, correct width and belt profile from a good many cost effective sources. I've used both of these 2 suppliers for anything from car belts to large machinery really long belts and all has been good.

If I was ever unsure of a belt length, then templating a length of string or bailer twine always worked for me.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Belts/c4601/index.html

https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/V-and-Wedge-Belts-1025-c

As a footnote, I solved my belt slip arising from different pulley profiles by moving from a wedge to a tooth belt.

The only thing different part on PAS is the billet pulley from whifbitz, Thank you for the links and way of measuring belt needed will have look at that and compare to belt currently running.

Been speaking to Paul at Whifbitz about this issue, and he thinks it may be may tensioner causing the noise, even though its new 4years ago and has only done about 2k miles, going to swap it for mates he's taken off and doesn't need just to test idea, only problem now since accident can't fully test idea until sort front end.

I doubt it'd be a belt tensioner bearings failed at 2k miles if it was an OEM part. I recently had my original tensioner changed after 110k miles for no other reason that why not. The main issue with the tensioner is when garages forget to replace the spacer behind it and the belt walks. You would usually see some sign of wear on the lip of the belt due to cover rubbing if you have that particular issue.

38 minutes ago, rider said:

I doubt it'd be a belt tensioner bearings failed at 2k miles if it was an OEM part. I recently had my original tensioner changed after 110k miles for no other reason that why not. The main issue with the tensioner is when garages forget to replace the spacer behind it and the belt walks. You would usually see some sign of wear on the lip of the belt due to cover rubbing if you have that particular issue.

This is my thinking aswell, as belt has no signs of wear in at all, plus i got the tensioner from Whifbitz so would say its genuine part aswell. 

The only other thing i thinking could be is the power steering pump as they don't sell the genuine ones anymore and when compare the shafts and bearing to orginal the bearing on original is so much bigger and alot better fit for pulley on shaft, have also just purchased 2nd hand genuine power steering pump and was thinking to have it refurbed if possible and fit to see if eliminates the issue.