The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance Renewals

Pudsey

Hi there all,

Been with Adrian Flux Insurance for years.

This year renewal was up on all previous years for no good reason, nothing changed etc.

£475.00 

Whats people’s views on Compare The Market quotes.

I fired my details in, and the cheapest was £236.00

Performance Direct.

Admiral were £246.00

These were the numbers I was paying with AF until I upped the value to £30k.

Does it really matter as long as your insured to drive it.

Any thought?

Just don’t see what extra I am getting by being a loyal customer other than being ripped off.

Edited by Pudsey (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Annabella said:

What Marty said, LV Classic, agreed value, just 6 pics to send in. Think you have to be over 25.

Thanks Annabella,

I will certainly look into it that’s for sure.

I thought there was a new law where insurance companies couldn’t charge you more than new customers etc.

Just guess AF must be expensive.

2 hours ago, Marty said:

Have you tried classic insurance bud?
What i'm paying on my tt6 vvti is less than half of your best quote. Through LV Classic.

Just looked up LV Classic car insurance to see how to go about gaining a new quote.

Website says after 31st March 2022, LV have decided not to offer this type of cover for classics anymore.

Sounds like a shame, if they were good previously.

11 minutes ago, Pudsey said:

Just looked up LV Classic car insurance to see how to go about gaining a new quote.

Website says after 31st March 2022, LV have decided not to offer this type of cover for classics anymore.

Sounds like a shame, if they were good previously.

Balls, there goes my 2 figure renewal 🙄
Classic still worth a shot with another company though mate, let us know how you get on, looks like i'll be looking myself in a few months.

Dear all,

Just as an update on this one.

Been with Adrian Flux for years, and price creeped up, especially jumping when value increased last year.

I paid £410 for renewal on aerotop on 26/08, and sorted TT at same time due 03/09, was £475.

I did say why so expensive, and was told prices gone up.

I searched out some cheaper quotes online after this was playing on my mind.

I rang back today, and advised Admiral Essential will do it for £244.83, and include NCB protection. (Loads of cheaper options not just one).

As I called back with this information, renewals gone away over the phone and came back with following.

TT £250.93 (removed driving other vehicles), but matched everything else.

Aero £259.79.

Chap apologised and said we haven't done our job properly this time and sorry about that, sometimes if you don't challenge they don't check for cheaper quotes on renewal prices.

I am quite shocked, as I did trust them doing right by me if I am honest.

Refund of £370.47 on its way in 3 to 5 days.

Shocking.

Lesson learned and will make sure I check in future that's for sure, so i hope that you do too might make big difference.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 7:26 PM, rider said:

I wouldn't take the risk of a policy that didn't have an agreed value these days. I've just been looking at some USA Supra ads, there is a RHD TT6 that is broken advertised for US$65k. Its cheap because its broken.

This. However, you need to keep an eye on prices as if they leap up again, your agreed value will actually work against you. I can ask for an in year review and change of my agreed value for £15.

LV Classic had a £50k ceiling when I last had the Supra insured with them, probably 3 years ago.

I ended up adding the Supra to my then existing multi classic car policy brokered by Hagerty when I departed from LV; I left due to a massive premium jump when the agreed value went over £30k. I've just received my renewal for the 3 multi car package, its going up by 0.02% on last year in spite of the Supra value being raise by £21k over last years policy. Hagerty will not broker anything beyond very mildly modded cars though which will rule out a lot of Supras.

1 hour ago, The Raven said:

They wont touch me for less than 390. I dont know why maybe the engine swap?

Apparently as soon as you go over 25k agreed they add 10%

I was paying £220ish which went up when I increased the agreed value to £50,000. My car is standard apart an exhaust and I have it on limited mileage of 3k per year.

Go with LV Classic, Lancaster or Hagerty. They agree the valuation based upon what your write to them about the car and a series of pictures. 

I moved insurer once to save £30 then they gave notice of halving the agreed value as soon as the cover started, pending a third party valuation report even though the policy was pre-paid 3 week in advance. There is no point saving a few quid to then have to spend out on an approved valuation. The insurer I dealt with, it was either Footman James or Adrian Flux wouldn't even recommend a valuation contact but did insist it'd need to be a valuation source they would approve of, retrospectively. I lost it with them, the insurance lasted 2 days and then I had a cancellation fee thrown in. 

I find with insurers it all comes down to online reviews (for the insurer, not any broker) and the hoops the put in place to get an agreed value, price might make third on the list. Anything for an easy life is worth a few £.