The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Unable to diagnose CEL - Help needed

carsebuco

I have a JDM RHD GE Supra that since I removed the active spoiler, the CEL and MIL have been on

I suspected it was because my active spoiler ECU was still plugged in, so I disconnected it but the lights are still on

I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the code to no avail

I tried following the instructions on this thread and bridging the E1 and TE1 connectors but the lights don't even flash

The car does not have an alarm system, but I have to double crank it to start every time. When I bridge the connections, the CEL and MIL never flash at all

Any ideas? 

1 hour ago, rpslaughter1982 said:

what year is your's? Only ask cos I'm trying to work through some MIL issues myself. Can't personally see on the wiring diagrams why the missing active spoiler ecu would trigger the CEL though. 

Have you got the wiring diagrams?

Also, have you had a look at this thread:

You're right, I misspoke on the first thread. It's not the CEL that's on, its the (!) light in addition to the Triangle light. 

I checked the brake fluid and it's full. Oil is fine.

Assuming you're pre facelift.... and on the understanding you have the master warning light (triangle on rev counter) and brake warning light (circle in brackets with exclamation mark in it) stuck on....I can't see how the active spoiler would trigger them two together. The brake light should only come on with the hand brake or brake fluid level...albeit it is connected to the ABS ecu. Maybe the connections to that have been knocked? Can only advise disconnecting each attached switch (hand brake - brake level etc) and see which one turns the light off. I've attached a screen shot of what I was looking at

Screenshot_20220829-092719_OfficeSuite.jpg

5 hours ago, rpslaughter1982 said:

Assuming you're pre facelift.... and on the understanding you have the master warning light (triangle on rev counter) and brake warning light (circle in brackets with exclamation mark in it) stuck on....I can't see how the active spoiler would trigger them two together. The brake light should only come on with the hand brake or brake fluid level...albeit it is connected to the ABS ecu. Maybe the connections to that have been knocked? Can only advise disconnecting each attached switch (hand brake - brake level etc) and see which one turns the light off. I've attached a screen shot of what I was looking at

I am due for a brake fluid change, so I'll try to get it flushed this weekend. Otherwise, I'll take a look at the diagram above and report back when I have the chance

Thanks! 

I had the chance to flush the brake fluid today, finally.

Fluid was dark-ish green and I feel like I may have taken out a few bubbles. 

Either way, with the fluid midway through the min line, light was still on. I YOLOd the last few drops and it went a tad over the max mine, and 'lo and behold, all dash lights are off. 

Thank you all for the help! 

On 8/29/2022 at 4:45 AM, rpslaughter1982 said:

I am due for a brake fluid change, so I'll try to get it flushed this weekend. Otherwise, I'll take a look at the diagram above and report back when I have the chance

Thanks! 

• Like 1