The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I want to purchase a Supra in the near future but I am kinda worried

Andrei Flaviu

Hi, I am Andrew from Romania and currently living in the UK, I want to purchase a Supra in aprox. 2-3 years, I want to gather around £35-40k to purchase it from UK then moving the steering wheel from right to left side then export it, I love the car, I have the opportunity to do it now and I can’t let it slip, tho I am scared that no Supra will be available in 2-3 years and that they will be more expensive and the gas will dissapear, I love the car since I was 13, I am 20 now and I just can’t live without it, maybe purchase it from germany will be better, idk, I need some advice!

I think you'll find the idea of converting from RHD to LHD is not economical and many parts could be difficult to source / expensive. Better to find a LHD example maybe, but they are likely to be more expensive too of course.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think you'll find the idea of converting from RHD to LHD is not economical and many parts could be difficult to source / expensive. Better to find a LHD example maybe, but they are likely to be more expensive too of course.

In Romania, RHD cars cannot be driven:)

There are quite a few threads discussing RHD to LHD conversion on supraforums.com. Long story short: no one seems to go through with it due to the cost and availability of parts. Buying LHD in the first place seems to way to go I’m afraid. All the best with your search. 

1 hour ago, erachter said:

You were able to import them there previously, but not anymore since last year I believe..

Strange. I guess it stops organised criminals bringing them into the country. 

As other have said, you might be better off looking for a LHD. Maybe a project car. 

43 minutes ago, JamesyThompson said:

Could you purchase a RHD from the Republic of Ireland and register it in Romania? The Republic of Ireland are still in the European Union, and from what I've read OK to import RHD vehicles from.

I believe you can't import any RHD vehicle in Romania now

Hello and welcome! 

If the current trend continues in 2-3years you might need twice this budget.

Where are you in the UK? There are some recent examples of people buying tired/neglected supras for very cheap. I think managing to find something like that might be worth the LHD conversion but it is not going to be cheap.

These days you pay a grand for a dash button, never mind the whole dash.

If you are not planning to go back to Romania soon I would suggest you try and find a cheap one (most probably NA) and enjoy it while you are here. 🙂 

You are not losing any money anyway (assuming the current trend continues). 

16 hours ago, Swampy442 said:

Hang on, there's lots of RHD Romanian plated cars where I live! 

Prices are only going to go one way so be best to get in now and buy one, if you can

A quick google suggests rhd imports are banned on safety grounds 

11 hours ago, Swampy442 said:

My own 2 eyes says been blatantly ignored. As I said Ive seen it personally, theres many RHD Romanian cars about

Perhaps this for anyone wanting to import a rhd car from a certain date and anything before is legal ? 

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

45 minutes ago, Dnk said:

Perhaps this for anyone wanting to import a rhd car from a certain date and anything before is legal ? 

This, I would imagine it will prevent any new imports going forward. Usually motoring rules/laws like this are not retrospectively enforced as it has huge financial ramifications not only for the government to enforce but to the people who have paid money for those cars (when they were legal), which in their own country would now be worth nothing. There would be a huge uproar and it wouldn't be fair, plus rules like this more often than not have a more significant impact on the poorest in society.

• Like 1