The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Scottish NA auto owner

steve770

Hi folks, recently acquired an ’93 NA auto from a close friend - it’s a bit rough but absolutely love it and very much excited about getting the car sorted and back on the road. It’s great to see such a cracking community here which I’m sure will prove invaluable - I’ve already spent many hours reading through hundreds of threads on here so thanks to all who keep these sorts of communities going.

I’ll be honest, while I’m of the generation that grew up with these cars in computer games and did always have an appreciation i’ve never really been around many in person, certainly not enough to make me really want one. That said, I think this Supra has awakened some dormant part in me from my youth that is now absolutely obsessed with them - I had to own one! I’ve never really been into the modified car scene so that perhaps explains some of why I’ve never really been that desperate to own one previously.

While friends were doing the Japanese car thing I was doing the German car thing. My current daily is a ’93 S2 avant (which I adore) and have a ’94 V6 80 as more of a runabout - both (mostly) standard. Before that I drove an S3 8L for many years. So in the past 10 years I’ve owned nothing but Audi - though I guess my girlfriend’s Aygo technically counts as a Japanese car! 🙂

So owning two early 90’s Audis I’m somewhat familiar with the challenges a nearly 30 year old car brings and the ups and downs that come with that - the tracking down of hard to find parts for example! So not too daunted with the task ahead. I’m not a mechanic but always keen to get stuck in and do as much as I can and certainly not afraid to give anything a go - learning all the time.

Anyway, the car’s been sat for a few years but running okay and aside from the paintwork is in ‘reasonable’ condition. Main issue is pretty horrific lacquer peel, rusty sills and what seems to be the usual problem areas, boot lid around the glass etc but not too bad. The car is teal blue (752) and to be honest that’s the thing that really got my attention - as a wee lad in Gran Turismo I think I painted every car in my garage almost that exact colour!

The car’s booked in for a bare metal, glass out respray and any welding etc in June so this gives me some time to start going over the car underneath. First jobs will be simple service and more thorough check over then start looking at refreshing the running gear. It’s currently on coilovers which I’ll likely replace with bilstien and standard springs if I can get some.

The car’s also bit too loud for me at the moment - and my neighbours - so one of the first jobs will be sourcing a quiet exhaust - preferably a stock setup. So if anyone has a spare stock NA exhaust including both cats let me know please. Also will be looking for a driver’s (cloth) seat to replace the aftermarket seat that’s there now or perhaps a front pair in leather if I can find some. So again if any one has anything do let me know.

Long terms plans - not too sure to be honest. Never had an auto car so quite like the idea so will see how that goes. At the very least just get the car sorted and take it from there. Either way happy to keep the car standard for now - there can’t be many of standard NA autos these days after a refurb! Maybe that will change after some time but either way I’m not chasing big power - I fancy this as a lovely GT car for summer trips up north. They really are stunning cars (in stock form ;)). Though I’d love to get hold of a set of the stock 17 inch alloys - which seem much harder to come by that I thought they would…  so if anyone has any they would part with please let me know.

And of course, any tips, comments or advice is most welcome. 

Cheers,

Steve

Here she is - strategically photographed to show only the good bits - 😉

PXL_20220326_145009056.jpeg

• Like 1

Great introduction Steve. Welcome to the club! Like you say- it’s a great community and you won’t be short on advice. Nearly every job I do on my Supra is preceded by a search on here. 

I like your Audi in the background too. Always liked old Audis- my dad had a really nice 80 before he died which I really wish I’d hung on to. 

Please keep us posted on the work on the Supra. I’m sure others will make suggestions too but while you’re under the car you may want to check the fuel and brake hardlines- a lot have been known to corrode and leak due to age. 

13 hours ago, Hamilton said:

Great introduction Steve. Welcome to the club! Like you say- it’s a great community and you won’t be short on advice. Nearly every job I do on my Supra is preceded by a search on here. 

I like your Audi in the background too. Always liked old Audis- my dad had a really nice 80 before he died which I really wish I’d hung on to. 

Please keep us posted on the work on the Supra. I’m sure others will make suggestions too but while you’re under the car you may want to check the fuel and brake hardlines- a lot have been known to corrode and leak due to age. 

Thanks for the welcome mate. Yeh I'll be doing exactly the same with the search.

Yeh the 80 is a nice car. I'm not fond of newer Audis at all - just not like the were - same can be said for most cars these days though...

Thanks for the tips - will be sure to check the lines 👍

9 hours ago, Annabella said:

Welcome to the club. This will be a tad different to Audi! Hope the strip down doesn't throw anything nasty, if you search on here, someone had a stock exhaust for sale within the last 3 weeks. 

Thanks Annabella - will be different indeed! Yeh hopefully nothing too bad but worth it I'm sure . Thanks, think I seen that one for sale - looked like collection only and a bit far from me.