The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AC Condenser replacement

spinthepilot

Need a new/replacement one as mine has sprung a leak and I am told they can not be welded or otherwise sealed again. Tried and tried sending requests to various online parts companies in the UK but all I get back is "out of stock - leave your email and we will advise when back in" but of course they never are. My lovely Supra is mint apart from the AC now and its driving me nuts! Please does anyone have any leads or ideas? THANKS.

You are very unlikely to find one in the trade these days but there are a few members holding a spare so hopefully you'll find someone willing to part with their precious part. It probably comes down to what you are prepared to pay. Denso were knocking them out for £50 a unit a few years back and Toyota were reselling them for £650. if no one comes forward you could always float out an offer that people just couldn't refuse then I'm sure one could be prised out of someone's hands somewhere.

Try FB with a wanted ad as well, more people buy/sell there these days than on the forum.

• Like 1

Given the number of people who seem to be interested in this? Surely worth asking a company to produce one and do a group buy to make it worth their while? My intention when the time comes, if there are no units out there, was to enquire about the possibility of having it re-cored.

3 hours ago, spinthepilot said:

The Guy on Facebook - Extreme Performance - just messaged me this:-

"I’ve not got any spares currently at the moment…. Worldwide shortage currently… If it continues I’m gonna be making them myself to be honest"

I told him there would be several customers from our forum immediately!

thats me mate..... i think they will remake them.... but if not ill sort it

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Simon_RD said:

I wonder if there's any shared parts or alternatives that we could use in its place, Say from an Aristo, Celica, Soarer, etc? 

You'd think there would be (the condenser core itself may be) but iirc no part numbers from Supra condensers match up with any other model because of the different line routing (happy to be corrected though!)

I cross referenced the part number 88460-14310 for the condenser on ToyoDIY and it's a Supra specific part. Any year or country though.

The Soarer condenser is 88460-24080 and is also used on SC300/400.

LS400 94-00 is 88460-50120. I looked as all these cars are meant to be on the same chassis.

I recently restored the AC in my Supra and the cooler lines want to sit in one place only and connect to an exactly placed port. Only way to know is to lay your hands on one of those other rads and see if the Supra and lines would accept it? I had to buy my Supra cooler lines from America, at least half of it is compatible with a UK/Jap spec Supra until the left hand drive stuff changes it. I also bought my condenser from America a few years back.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, spinthepilot said:

Sadly they are not compatible with my 2001 Supra 😞 Thanks much anyway.

I did not no that!! So they suit pre-facelift only? 

I know Koyo are now making AC condensers, but don’t know if it’s for facelift too. Lee at SRD will be able to confirm, as I know he’s got some on the way to him 🙂 

• Like 1