The mkiv Supra Owners Club

LED Conversions for HVAC / Dash

Paulie

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get my HVAC and clocks updated with LED bulbs.  I've tried replacing some bulbs myself with limited success.  So I figured that going professional was the way to go.

I've seen a chap called 'Stu' in the US doing some really amazing work but I'm a tad nervous about posting these things to the US given how hard it is to find replacements if they go missing in the mail.

https://97supraturbo.com/2018/03/22/new-led-conversion-for-speedometer-cluster/

Are there any folk in the UK that do such things?  I've seen a company called Hetherington Performance on Instagram and YouTube and their work look ace.  Sadly though, I've sent a message and received nothing back so I'm unsure if they still do this sort of work.

https://www.instagram.com/hetheringtonperformance/

If anyone knows a company that do this sort of thing, or if anybody has heard of kits / instructions, do let me know.

Have a great weekend everyone,

Paul

I’m assuming Hetherington Performance is run by Gareth Hetherington. If so then I messaged him and bought his HVAC LED conversion boards just a few weeks ago. Really pleased with the results. He’ll also do the conversion for you if you’d rather send the HVAC unit to him. Maybe try him on Facebook Messenger? That’s what I used. 

01289BB0-4A47-456A-84D5-A62384C839A5.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hamilton said:

I’m assuming Hetherington Performance is run by Gareth Hetherington. If so then I messaged him and bought his HVAC LED conversion boards just a few weeks ago. Really pleased with the results. He’ll also do the conversion for you if you’d rather send the HVAC unit to him. Maybe try him on Facebook Messenger? That’s what I used. 

01289BB0-4A47-456A-84D5-A62384C839A5.jpeg

Thank you.  I'm not one for Facebook but I'll have a look and see if I can find him.  Knowing my luck there'll be a hundred Gareth Hetheringtons on there :-).

Cheers,

Paul

2 hours ago, mattdavies said:

I wouldnt use Hetherington.... 

There is a guy called JP Led Works who will sell you the boards and he is much better. I will dig out some non-Facebook contact details for you 

That would be brilliant, thank you.  I'd love to buy the boards (and some instructions).

I've sent a message on Instagram and Facebook to Gareth Hetherington and I've had no response so I guess he may not be doing that sort of thing these days.

24 minutes ago, Paulie said:

That would be brilliant, thank you.  I'd love to buy the boards (and some instructions).

I've sent a message on Instagram and Facebook to Gareth Hetherington and I've had no response so I guess he may not be doing that sort of thing these days.

Whats your instagram, I will send you his details on there 

Hi Paul, sorry didnt see your Facebook message. Will go reply in the morning.

I think Matts comments are a little unfair since any time he had an issue i responded trying to help just for him to blank me. I have also updated everything since i did those conversations, which he also asked me to do which i agreed, just to be blanked again 😂

Thanks for the kind words Hamilton. Dash is looking sweet!! 👌

On 2/1/2022 at 1:44 AM, GazZrulzZ said:

Hi Paul, sorry didnt see your Facebook message. Will go reply in the morning.

I think Matts comments are a little unfair since any time he had an issue i responded trying to help just for him to blank me. I have also updated everything since i did those conversations, which he also asked me to do which i agreed, just to be blanked again 😂

Thanks for the kind words Hamilton. Dash is looking sweet!! 👌

How much for the boards my dude? They do look rather snazzy. 

1 hour ago, Tyson said:

Sorry to be the forum bore but I’ve hidden the response. Happy for Gareth to contact a mod to enquire about becoming a trader.

No probs matey. I forgot about that. 

I can't comment on the process of becoming a trader, although I hope the view is to benefit members in having more options rather than profit for the club. 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 4:17 PM, Big Supes said:

No probs matey. I forgot about that. 

I can't comment on the process of becoming a trader, although I hope the view is to benefit members in having more options rather than profit for the club. 🙂

There's no hiding that we need traders to support the club financially but requiring traders to apply and be approved is purely in the interest of members. The world is full of unscrupulous individuals and cowboys as I am sure every knows, so adding a financial cost deters a lot of those kinds of people. Having people apply to be a trader also makes sure we don't have too many people selling the same thing whilst promoting healthy competition, that would discourage traders from sticking around.

Benefit members in having more options - Definitely, we want to diversify the kind of traders we have rather than them all selling the same sort of thing! The needs of members is always changing so we want traders to adapt to that.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tyson said:

There's no hiding that we need traders to support the club financially but requiring traders to apply and be approved is purely in the interest of members. The world is full of unscrupulous individuals and cowboys as I am sure every knows, so adding a financial cost deters a lot of those kinds of people. Having people apply to be a trader also makes sure we don't have too many people selling the same thing whilst promoting healthy competition, that would discourage traders from sticking around.

Benefit members in having more options - Definitely, we want to diversify the kind of traders we have rather than them all selling the same sort of thing! The needs of members is always changing so we want traders to adapt to that.

I agree that a financial token may stop just any monkey having a contribution.

But the amount requested to what you actually receive is in my opinion a bit below expectations. Paying money for a single thread, seems a bit of a cop out personally. I do like the idea of a tier system which makes sense of course. Bit innovation and investment in new ideas from people as a collective is at an all time low in the market 

This may be due to prices of course. I understand that. 

Considering its just a few boxes and sections in a forum. Some starting out needs promoting. And paying a lump sum isn't an option when you just want to make cool stuff and be innovative.

The forum, in my eyes, doesn't promote growth for hobbyist. I do think it's always had a good system to support their presence but it's no surprise both traders and smaller hobbyists don't use the forum so much these days. But

I'd love to see more traders. People just other platforms. It's a users market and the forum doesn't have the pick of plenty. I sadly think unless the forum changes its stance, soon the only traders on here contributing to the forum pot will be Keron and SRD, who I'm sure will both be promoted without paid sections anyway, so will be asking themselves the same question.

As a consumer I really hope things change and smaller inventors come out the woodwork. It's very exciting to hear fresh blood is doing stuff I used to enjoy doing. The love for the forum community is what made me become a hobbyist years ago. I hope one day it will do the same for others.

20 hours ago, Noz said:

I agree that a financial token may stop just any monkey having a contribution.

But the amount requested to what you actually receive is in my opinion a bit below expectations. Paying money for a single thread, seems a bit of a cop out personally. I do like the idea of a tier system which makes sense of course. Bit innovation and investment in new ideas from people as a collective is at an all time low in the market 

This may be due to prices of course. I understand that. 

Considering its just a few boxes and sections in a forum. Some starting out needs promoting. And paying a lump sum isn't an option when you just want to make cool stuff and be innovative.

The forum, in my eyes, doesn't promote growth for hobbyist. I do think it's always had a good system to support their presence but it's no surprise both traders and smaller hobbyists don't use the forum so much these days. But

I'd love to see more traders. People just other platforms. It's a users market and the forum doesn't have the pick of plenty. I sadly think unless the forum changes its stance, soon the only traders on here contributing to the forum pot will be Keron and SRD, who I'm sure will both be promoted without paid sections anyway, so will be asking themselves the same question.

As a consumer I really hope things change and smaller inventors come out the woodwork. It's very exciting to hear fresh blood is doing stuff I used to enjoy doing. The love for the forum community is what made me become a hobbyist years ago. I hope one day it will do the same for others.

There’s still the option of group buys for one offs and hobbyist membership too, as long as this isn’t what he does for a living. I should have mentioned the other options as well, so apologies.

I am pretty sure there are different levels of trader membership too, but not 100%. @Josh42

Yeah I know about the other options mate. But its quite the jump financially.

I think the forum should advertise for a really low cost. And items sold through the forum have a profit share. Per sale.

If the forum had a buy and sell function be easy to cap that too.

Would support what sells. Only an idea. As I see soon it will be too late as less and less of us are doing that kind of work.

It's all going OEM now and that will hit the forum. Turning it into a spares and repairs market place 😂

On 2/11/2022 at 4:25 PM, Tyson said:

I appreciate the current club model to assure only trusted traders are affiliated with the club. You're completely right to highlight the amount of dodgy cowboys and outright thieves there are out there these days. I only can't help but feel that, in light of the spawn of Facebook, it might be beneficial to review the current system with a view of gaining members over traders to support the club; more traders that make the cut, more discounts = more memberships. 

If people get burnt on Facebook and other groups, it might encourage them to join the club knowing that they'll be in safer hands. 

One this note, I found that one of the up sides to deleting Facebook is reconnecting with clubs and forums that are dedicated to the thing I am interested in. It's a case of quality over quantity in terms of content. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

Just to let you know that after trying (and failing terribly) to install the kit from Johnny at LedWorx, I sent the HVAC unit to him and he fitted it in super quick time and returned it to me right away.  The result is nothing short of astounding.  The unit looked great, even better once I'd replaced the buttons for new items.

I can recommend Johnny at LedWorx.  I'm tempted to have him do my instrument cluster now but I'm a bit nervous about sending something via mail that is no longer available and is worth a small fortune if trying to replace.

Anyhow,, there's my review of his service.

Cheers,

Paul

On 4/14/2022 at 8:24 AM, Paulie said:

Hey all,

Just to let you know that after trying (and failing terribly) to install the kit from Johnny at LedWorx, I sent the HVAC unit to him and he fitted it in super quick time and returned it to me right away.  The result is nothing short of astounding.  The unit looked great, even better once I'd replaced the buttons for new items.

I can recommend Johnny at LedWorx.  I'm tempted to have him do my instrument cluster now but I'm a bit nervous about sending something via mail that is no longer available and is worth a small fortune if trying to replace.

Anyhow,, there's my review of his service.

Cheers,

Paul

I'm sending 2 speedos to him next week

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/10/2022 at 12:15 AM, Celicasaur said:

Just seen this thread now and surprised that nobody mentioned Supra LED Rears....I've had mine done by him and actually have bought quite a few bits from him. Workmanship and quality is 10/10 every time. Highly recommended.

Did Johnny do your LED rears?  He did my HVAC and instrument panel.  A great job on everything.  Although my rev counter does a little 'bounce' when it's going up the revs.  Odd but nothing that's making me want him to look at it again.  Throw up a pic of your rear lights so we can have a look.

Edited by Paulie
Adding a request to see the led rears. (see edit history)