The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Upgrading the ignition set up

Big Supes

I'm looking to swap out my old coil packs as they're donkeys years old. I've seen different options available these days that make replacing like for like redundant. 

I'm just looking to see what people are running. I'm currently interested in the Auto Sport Engineering kit to run the Yaris GR coil packs as I like bang for buck, pun intended. 

New OEM coils are fantastic still, have seen many do north of 1000hp with ease. They are a good investment that wont need changing another 5-10 years with the use of a single turbo. 

If you buy a cheap mounting kit, make sure you run genuine coils. The amount of chinese knockoff coils going on right now is really bad, had loads of issues with them and ends up costing more in the long run as we have to replace them with something else. Always misfires under high boost, or they last the dyno then a month later get a misfire cause a coil is dead. 

Problem is, most genuine coils for Yaris, R35, K24, IGN1A & other popular makes cost a lot, by the time you have 6 of them its the same money as just buying new OEM 2J coils. The only coil I've found to be cheap and work at crazy high boost reliabily is the R8 coil, but they look awful so theres a trade off 😛

Personally I run IGN1A, and they are awesome but need a lot of custom wiring work to make them run correctly. If I started from a TT then I would of just stuck with OEM Coils cause everythings is already there for them to work from the factory. 

Edit: Also the yaris coils that most people advertise a coil kit for is for the 1ZZ/2ZZ engine found on older yaris. I doubt the new Yaris would run the same coil, although they might be similar. 

Edited by Mike2JZ (see edit history)
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mike2JZ said:

New OEM coils are fantastic still, have seen many do north of 1000hp with ease. They are a good investment that wont need changing another 5-10 years with the use of a single turbo. 

If you buy a cheap mounting kit, make sure you run genuine coils. The amount of chinese knockoff coils going on right now is really bad, had loads of issues with them and ends up costing more in the long run as we have to replace them with something else. Always misfires under high boost, or they last the dyno then a month later get a misfire cause a coil is dead. 

Problem is, most genuine coils for Yaris, R35, K24, IGN1A & other popular makes cost a lot, by the time you have 6 of them its the same money as just buying new OEM 2J coils. The only coil I've found to be cheap and work at crazy high boost reliabily is the R8 coil, but they look awful so theres a trade off 😛

Personally I run IGN1A, and they are awesome but need a lot of custom wiring work to make them run correctly. If I started from a TT then I would of just stuck with OEM Coils cause everythings is already there for them to work from the factory. 

Edit: Also the yaris coils that most people advertise a coil kit for is for the 1ZZ/2ZZ engine found on older yaris. I doubt the new Yaris would run the same coil, although they might be similar. 

Thanks Mike, the Yaris coil packs that people are using are the 1NZ coilpacks. They're apparently half the price of Supra coil packs, have their own independent ignitors built-in and give a better spark than the OE too. 

I'd be happy to go with OE coils, but thought an upgrade over the originals at half the price sounded good. 

I'd definitely order them from Toyota and nowhere else. 👍

I don't agree with them providing a better spark. The factory coils are really excellent provided they are somewhat new and not 25 years old. Not having to worry about an external igniter is handy sometimes. Dont forget that a 1NZ is naturally aspirated 1.5litre peanut shooter, coils werent designed from factory for boost. 

Personally havent run these yaris coils over anything over 600hp, so cant comment on big power capability but done a few cars that were fine with them at lower power or on 4 cylinders. 

Don't forget you will need to wire these in to your ECU and provide addequate power from somewhere. Try and run the wiring through the wing so you dont butcher your OEM firewall wiring grommet like a lot people seem to do. 

30 minutes ago, Mike2JZ said:

I don't agree with them providing a better spark. The factory coils are really excellent provided they are somewhat new and not 25 years old. Not having to worry about an external igniter is handy sometimes. Dont forget that a 1NZ is naturally aspirated 1.5litre peanut shooter, coils werent designed from factory for boost. 

Personally havent run these yaris coils over anything over 600hp, so cant comment on big power capability but done a few cars that were fine with them at lower power or on 4 cylinders. 

Don't forget you will need to wire these in to your ECU and provide addequate power from somewhere. Try and run the wiring through the wing so you dont butcher your OEM firewall wiring grommet like a lot people seem to do. 

"1.5 litre peanut shooter" lol. 

The wiring part is what currently puts me off. Autosport Engineering offer a harness, but I'm not really wanting to open that door until its time to fit the Link ECU. 

I might just play it safe and go for new OE coil packs. 

I think he means the new GR Yaris coils outperformed the R35 coils. The 1NZ coilpack isnt used in the GR Yaris, its used in prius. 

GR Yaris Coilpack 90919-02277

image.png.0fc13af22cadb34bf622c5478d62b569.png

1NZ Coilpack 90919-02265

image.png.295d2abf2d336086a8c0fdeb6e3ac92e.png

I haven't seen the testing that he's on about in that video, but from looks alone it looks like the GR coilpack has been built a bit more stout than whats found on a prius. Presumably as Toyota have spececed a more heavy duty coil for the duty of a high strung turbo 3 cylinder. 

Hard to say if stalk length is the same between both coils, but maybe the GR coils would fit that bracket kit. 

Let's do some price comparisons on denso coils though from RockAuto, like what he suggests in the video. 

Factory Supra 2J Coils
image.png.b207b37bc36043677915a384fb8cc8f8.png

1NZ Coilpacks 

image.png.37805d67582d904904f26f56c3b41d78.png

GR Coilpacks (they dont list denso on rockauto for these, only these)

image.png.bdd2542ba10c330aea98f6ede0cabc05.png

On average shopping around on different sites, all the above coils basically cost the same amount. You might save £40 going with one over another. By the time you factory in the coilpack mounting brackets, wiring modifications etc, you will have spent more than just putting some denso 2J coils into the car. So the arguement of its cheaper is a bit weak. 

Not sure if the GR Yaris coils would fit under the cover either given their connector mounting is off at a 45 degree angle upwards where the cover sits. That said, if the GR yaris coils are the next best thing after R35's then I'd be intersted to give them a go in the future.  

image.png

Edited by Mike2JZ (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for clarification Mike. By the time I got to the end of the video (after posting my reply) I noticed he went back on his original claim to say it was the GR coils the outperformed the R35 coils. 

Yeah, looking at the GR coil, it's hard to scale, but I think it look slightly longer as well. I mean, if it meant in the long term you have upgraded coils that are cheaper to service, it's a decent selling point, but I agree that once you've bought the kit, harness and coils, messed around with wiring etc, it might be worth just going with the OE's instead. 

I'm a bit undecided on this one, tbh. 

My recomendation would be for a stock loom car would be to run factory coils, cause it just works as it was intended and designed. I never used to think much of factory coils until fitting new ones and pushing them to over a 1000hp on multiple cars, without even needing to change spark plug gaps on pump & e85 fuels. Plenty of ignition power for 90% of Supra's out there. 

I don't mind fitting aftermarket coils when I build a custom loom for a project though as it can be implemented into the main wiring branch and looks like its meant to be there and we are normally shooting for simplicity whilst keeping functionality. Fitting aftermarket coils to stock loom supra's always makes me laugh cause theres like 2-3 plugs always dangling around in engine bay not being used, and usually someone has routed the wiring in the worst possible way, so does more damage then good in the long run. 

As your Link ecu will be a plug and play unit, I would suggest sticking with OEM coils for ease of use. I have tuned many cars with a fresh set of coils with big singles and have no issues to report.

If you find that you can overcome the factory coil with your setup, then I'll hold my hands up and a stronger coil is required. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike2JZ said:

My recomendation would be for a stock loom car would be to run factory coils, cause it just works as it was intended and designed. I never used to think much of factory coils until fitting new ones and pushing them to over a 1000hp on multiple cars, without even needing to change spark plug gaps on pump & e85 fuels. Plenty of ignition power for 90% of Supra's out there. 

I don't mind fitting aftermarket coils when I build a custom loom for a project though as it can be implemented into the main wiring branch and looks like its meant to be there and we are normally shooting for simplicity whilst keeping functionality. Fitting aftermarket coils to stock loom supra's always makes me laugh cause theres like 2-3 plugs always dangling around in engine bay not being used, and usually someone has routed the wiring in the worst possible way, so does more damage then good in the long run. 

As your Link ecu will be a plug and play unit, I would suggest sticking with OEM coils for ease of use. I have tuned many cars with a fresh set of coils with big singles and have no issues to report.

If you find that you can overcome the factory coil with your setup, then I'll hold my hands up and a stronger coil is required. 

Thanks mate, that makes logical sense. It keeps it less complicated to go again with OE coils so I think I'll give Mr T a call in the morning to see how inflated coil packs are these days. 😅

18 hours ago, Big Supes said:

Thanks mate, that makes logical sense. It keeps it less complicated to go again with OE coils so I think I'll give Mr T a call in the morning to see how inflated coil packs are these days. 😅

Totally agree with Mike, new set of OEM coils every time. I bought a brand new set from Lee at SRD a couple years ago, good price 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2022 at 10:50 AM, Mike2JZ said:

Fitting aftermarket coils to stock loom supra's always makes me laugh cause theres like 2-3 plugs always dangling around in engine bay not being used, and usually someone has routed the wiring in the worst possible way, so does more damage then good in the long run. 

so you dont butcher your OEM firewall wiring grommet like a lot people seem to do.

Who would ever do that!?👀 😉

Edited by Nathanj1142 (see edit history)