The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Back again let’s see where this goes!!!

Eldon02

So after a massive mistake years ago I sold my white supra project (yes im still kicking myself now) I finally got around to buying another one about 2 or so years ago now. Just haven’t put anything on here. So here’s a quick update from the beginning. 

After searching the web for various months i came across a NA manual in black in Manchester. Went up and viewed said supra, usual inspection checking everything as per norm. Few little rust issues as expected from these cars now but nothing serious. A deal was done and I was once again a proud owner of a beloved supra. 

Quick low down- 

So the supra came on non standard 17s which looked hideous (may have a picture somewhere of them)

knock off ridox kit from grams not fitted correctly and had a crack on one of the side skirts. 

usual rust on the rear window 

HKS air filter foam literally falling apart inside.
Otherwise not in to bad a condition for the age. I was told the car was sat for many years, according to the previous mot certificates it hadn’t gone far outside the previous owners garage forecourt. 

7DA710A7-091C-4223-A93F-69A12197B5E4.jpeg

• Like 2

Now I had the supra back home in the south west I could begin sorting through some of these said issues. 

First of all the air filter was replaced straight away, didn’t want any foam breaking off going into the engine. Easy fix 

A thorough deep clean of the carpet and seats 

Temporary sorted the side skirts with some fiddling and some extra screws that were missing. Until I get around to buying the carbon skirts. 

Now everyone’s different when it comes to taste in wheels, but i really like the symmetricalness of 6 spoke wheels with a bit of dish. After searching eBay, gumtree, for sale forums and online shops I found a set I liked from Jav designs, not the colour I would of originally gone for but after putting them on the car it actually works against the black. 

-brand new Tein flex z coilovers we’re fitted as the rear suspension was getting to soft. 

-new anti roll bars front and rear from garage whiftbitz 

-new drop links all round at the same time 

-offside upper wishbone replaced as the  ball joint had to much play.  

The brakes on the NA Supra don’t really cut it for me and we’re looking like crap, so I managed to shop around and get some recently refurbished UK calipers front and rears. I bought all brand new OEM TT disc’s from whiftbitz accompanied with porterfield R4S brake pads. While I was at it I bought all new shoes and springs for the handbrake to. 

Life was going good at this point all the brake parts had arrived and I was just waiting for a good weekend to get it all done.
However we all know how life loves to throw a curve ball in there. The weekend came around and I had the car up on axle stands, i had literally just removed the last brake caliper from the car and then the heavens decided to open. that was that for the rest of the day, any how I had some decorating to finish off inside the house no big deal I’ll come back to the car when it’s stopped raining.

BIG MISTAKE the chair snapped and I fell (I had stood on to put the curtain pole back up) and broke my wrist on impact also damaging my hip. Quick visit to A&E in Bath hospital and one lovely pink cast for 8 weeks and then months of rehabilitation.

However this did not stop the work on the supra, I was physically not able to do it but my lovely fiancée said she would do it for me if I told her exactly what to do. So she picked up the ratchet and socket set and got to work fitting all my new brakes. Now that right there is a keeper!!!! 

DDB861B8-BD13-4E6B-99F7-D39CDB1632DF.jpeg

68AA98D6-F44F-42A3-B05B-B892EE8AF0E4.jpeg

7FC3642E-448B-46CD-B401-751AFBCD4A66.jpeg

922613A1-64F0-4674-8158-D3AE6886A901.jpeg

E1823313-6F11-4BFC-9A4C-D2218C968C32.jpeg

6DE11BF5-5F6F-4017-BE1F-FCBC3F78B86E.jpeg

494F4FB6-8B88-464B-9210-BD85EF3FCBE4.jpeg

0B14AF48-3A7C-48C5-9917-4B670E747D16.jpeg

526567B2-6A2B-468F-B0F2-F2F7F70B54AF.jpeg

0B2A91C4-98BC-4CF6-82A2-4B49C2D51BCF.jpeg

E96A4F0E-0079-48D4-BEF2-327636FB10C6.jpeg

• Like 2

Welcome back! Sorry you got hurt (DIY’ing is clearly more dangerous than working on cars! Lol).

Fiancee is a keeper for sure, that’s love right there and go you for entrusting her with something as crucial as changing the brakes, looks like she’s done a good job and hopefully you’ll be back up and running soon to carry things on. 👍

What other plans do you have for the build? Know you mentioned carbon skirts, but any performance changes planned like maybe a turbo kit?

Can we see a better photo of the new wheels please, looks like they work well from what I can see in the photos. 🙂 

Keep up the good work and get well soon. 

Cheers,

Pete 

I’m all fixed now Peter thanks for asking, I done that last year in March.

Well my long term plan is to build the engine. As my plan was to turbo the current GE lump in the car but luckily I found one that had been stripped down and the bottom end had just been rebuilt. Unfortunately the lad who was selling this had lost his job due to lockdown and had to sell his project and move out of his shared side of the unit. So it was left to his mate to sell all his parts. The guy didn’t realise what he had there and for the block and head and all auxiliary parts and wiring he only wanted £100 for the lot. I Snapped his hand off then and there, now it’s sat in my garage.

So Im planning on getting the engine built by Dave yandell. He’s a local engine builder to me, can’t knock his skills. 
My limit is around the 700bhp no more, im aiming for a fast useable street car not chasing big numbers. Just looking about now for the best turbo for my needs any recommendations are welcome. 

other recent purchases

-new battery

-BGW from garage whiftbitz (gt carbon wing) Still got the original wing just i case I want to swap back.  

- SRD front under tray 

-New drivers side seatbelt from Keron as we all know they don’t sale the oem ones anymore. 

-v2 front lip

Currently waiting on a delivery for all new door seals

looking at getting the facelift front lights soon. 

DC17E93E-8E78-4719-979D-C1AC4E4EEA7C.jpeg

31BCED0A-1017-42AE-BF39-263E53B44B97.jpeg

DFFBF3C8-5FB8-4E8D-AA8B-FC9E59135EAF.jpeg

60D33F00-E7FB-474C-BCA5-932075FE2501.png

5D81C226-E08C-4FBA-A7AB-8D25475C35B9.jpeg

AC0D1158-5649-4E5C-9AB7-4331DBC353B6.jpeg

Edited by Eldon02 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Eldon02 said:

I’m all fixed now Peter thanks for asking, I done that last year in March.

Well my long term plan is to build the engine. As my plan was to turbo the current GE lump in the car but luckily I found one that had been stripped down and the bottom end had just been rebuilt. Unfortunately the lad who was selling this had lost his job due to lockdown and had to sell his project and move out of his shared side of the unit. So it was left to his mate to sell all his parts. The guy didn’t realise what he had there and for the block and head and all auxiliary parts and wiring he only wanted £100 for the lot. I Snapped his hand off then and there, now it’s sat in my garage.

So Im planning on getting the engine built by Dave yandell. He’s a local engine builder to me, can’t knock his skills. 
My limit is around the 700bhp no more, im aiming for a fast useable street car not chasing big numbers. Just looking about now for the best turbo for my needs any recommendations are welcome. 

other recent purchases

-new battery

-BGW from garage whiftbitz (gt carbon wing) Still got the original wing just i case I want to swap back.  

- SRD front under tray 

-New drivers side seatbelt from Keron as we all know they don’t sale the oem ones anymore. 

-v2 front lip

Currently waiting on a delivery for all new door seals

looking at getting the facelift front lights soon. 

DC17E93E-8E78-4719-979D-C1AC4E4EEA7C.jpeg

31BCED0A-1017-42AE-BF39-263E53B44B97.jpeg

DFFBF3C8-5FB8-4E8D-AA8B-FC9E59135EAF.jpeg

60D33F00-E7FB-474C-BCA5-932075FE2501.png

Good to hear your back in good health mate, sounds like you also grabbed a bit of a bargain on that engine for the turbo swap, nicely done. 👍

I’d be looking at Precision for a turbo, just because I use Lee P / SRD and know they swear by them. Something like a 6266 gen 2 would be fine for your power goals I reckon. 

How are you finding the replacement drivers side seatbelt from Keron? I need to replace mine as the red ones I got from eBay are terrible! 😢

Thanks for the photos, coming along nicely mate. 👍

Cheers for now.

Pete 🙂