The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Work VS XX Offset

radion_auto

Hi guys, 

I've heard literally hundreds of threads on this topic, please don't assume i've just lazily hit the "new thread" button lightly!

Looking at buying a new set of Work VS XX but want to make sure i get a size which doesn't cause rubbing, but looks nice.

Currently got a set of XXR 521 wheels fitted,  18x8.5 and 18x10 both et25. Rear arches are moderately rolled in order for the tyres not to rub in general use, however under harsh driving or sudden bumps they can still catch. I want something that i can run comfortably and not rub at all.

Would like to use my current tyres as i've just bought a new set of pzeros. Tyre size are 235/40/18 front and 265/35/18 rear. Don't mind a little bit of stretch, rears have a bit currently.

Based on my research i need an "R" disc front and an "O" disc rear in order for them to clear my UK spec brakes. 

The car is on Eibach springs and Bilstein B6 dampers.

Help 🙂

Thanks

Charles

2 hours ago, mattdavies said:

The best thing I can recommend is www.WilltheyFit.com 

You can then play around with size and offsets to your hearts content. all it requires after that is a measuring device and your car 

Thanks, i was hoping for some real-world advice from people who have these wheels though in all honesty - i'm absolutely lost at sea with offset measurements and don't want to risk making a mistake / ordering wheels that end up rubbing.

1 hour ago, TuneR said:

I've 10" +34 offset rears but there was a 255 tyre on them iirc and i had no issues and no roll/Eibach springs. I do plan on sticking a 265 but wont be until its back otr next spring/summer.

255 must have been quite a stretch on 10! got any pictures? That sounds good though as i've slightly rolled my rears already (to make the XXR wheels usable). Do you have any pictures so see how they sit?

55 minutes ago, mattdavies said:

I am happy to help out. 

Are you custom building these wheels ? Where are you buying them from ? 

I'm planning on buying a new custom set from Driftworks, tempted by their Black Friday sale. I guess that means  I can spec exactly what i need instead of buying a set off the shelf.  

12 minutes ago, radion_auto said:

I'm planning on buying a new custom set from Driftworks, tempted by their Black Friday sale. I guess that means  I can spec exactly what i need instead of buying a set off the shelf.  

I would just ring Driftworks they are knowledgable enough to advise what will and wont fit and clear arches 

21 hours ago, mattdavies said:

I would just ring Driftworks they are knowledgable enough to advise what will and wont fit and clear arches 

Thanks, i've been in touch with them and had the following suggested:

18x9.5 et40 R disc (3mm in from your current wheels)
18x10.5 et39 O disc(1mm in from your current wheels)

Just wanted to check with the community and maybe compare to what other folk and running too.

Would my current tyres be a no-go with these wheel sizes?

22 hours ago, radion_auto said:

255 must have been quite a stretch on 10! got any pictures? That sounds good though as i've slightly rolled my rears already (to make the XXR wheels usable). Do you have any pictures so see how they sit?

Heres an old pic, bit of stretch on the tyre alright and nothing too serious but the lips being exposed worries me. Fronts are 9" +34 with a 235, love the way it sits.

20140614_140417.jpg

Edited by TuneR (see edit history)

13 hours ago, CBR said:

Perfect fitment given bij R.K. on SF.

Front: 18x10" T-Disk +42 
Rear: 18x11.5" O-Disk +52 

Perfect for who ? 

Not this guy, he wants to use his current tyre sizes ( rightly so as they are near stock widths ) so with the width above he will be running a stretched tyre. 

The fronts would have 10mm less poke then My set up, 9mm less then Krimi & 5mm less then what the OP is running already. 

The Rears would have 8mm less the what OP is running already & 15mm less then Krimi. 

Fitment is sooooooooo subjective and also depends on what size tyres you want to run and how you want to drive it etc.etc. there is no such thing as generic perfect. One guys perfect is anothers rubbish. 

• Like 1