Jump to content
The mkiv Supra Owners Club

We Bought An EV.........


SupraAyf
 Share

Recommended Posts

.........and then rejected it 16-days later.

What a total pain in the arse it was! We thought we were being brave by buying an EV in the first place but it's now very evident to me that this is a developing technology and needs work.

Our own car wouldn't engage drive or reverse, the parking sensors were wonky, the central locking failed, the power boot stopped working, there were countless electronic faults with the computer, the range dropped massively in the cold with the climate and heating switched on, plus a number of other things too.

And it's also very apparent that the entire UK Hyundai dealer network knows the 'square root of nothing' about this new EV platform.

All in all a thoroughly miserable experience of this 'newly launched' Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate.

We've decided to stay with ICE vehicles for the timebeing until we can be sure that any future EV technology is reliable enough for us to think about purchasing a leccy car again.

Has anyone else considered or bought an EV? I would be interested to know your thoughts.

All the best,

Andrew

Edited by SupraAyf (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm waiting for hydrogen. Its already a viable alternative in Germany with 20 times the number of filling stations as here in the UK. Hydrogen is much more plentiful on this Earth than rare metals used in batteries that are called rare for a reason.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rider said:

I'm waiting for hydrogen. Its already a viable alternative in Germany with 20 times the number of filling stations as here in the UK. Hydrogen is much more plentiful on this Earth than rare metals used in batteries that are called rare for a reason.

You make two very good points there (hydrogen and rare materials).

The whole EV-thing may be good for pollution in cities buy we're probably going scar the earth in our need for the battery materials. We'll see if that is discussed at Cop-Out 26.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Annabella said:

Hydrogen has always been the logical way, just about harassing it in a clean manner. JCB are in 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59107805

 

I think it's a really good idea and the likes of BP (behind the scenes) is trying to investigate the topic further with development projects in Australia.

It would be nice if we were to decide shortly on what type of energy path to take as I don't think EVs is going to be the answer to all of our problems.

Edited by SupraAyf (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone I work with has a Jaguar SUV thing, all very nice and quick and he loves it (has a XKR and just sold a Maserati Ghibli), but he only really has it as it's leased (I think or pcp etc) via his company so it's a great tax saving. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2021 at 11:35 PM, blythmrk said:

Hydrogen is the way forward a local customer who is a taxi company are getting a few hydrogen cars on long term demo from Toyota👍

Me too, in some ways this whole electric-thing seems a potential distraction from the main problem.

It may be a case that in 20 years we have Hydrogen as the primary fuel and leccy as the second.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/9/2021 at 11:41 AM, Scooter said:

Someone I work with has a Jaguar SUV thing, all very nice and quick and he loves it (has a XKR and just sold a Maserati Ghibli), but he only really has it as it's leased (I think or pcp etc) via his company so it's a great tax saving. 

Good point Scooter regarding the leasing of the cars. I joined the Hyundai forum recently and it seems that every man and his dog has leased their EVs.

 

Also, it could just be me but I think the EV offerings look really bland.

Edited by SupraAyf (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you've been leasing/PCP'ing a new car in general your motoring life then a switch to a new EV is relatively seamless and not much of an additional cost, add in a number of business owners where this tax break further helps and that accounts for a few more. 

You have exec Tesla's and then yes the rest are pretty bland, but to be fair are appealing to the masses as much as possible, they are a semi tough sell given the prices I think. The cost saving part of the ownership equation is after the initial purchase, but car sales have focussed for decades on low deposits and monthly payments ie making people not think about the long term cycle costs!  

I think outright ownership whilst rare anyway these days is also seen as a big risk for EV's, depreciation could be very high on used ones if the advances on the new ones continue at the pace they have (bound to slow a bit as we head towards diminishing returns?) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I work for a Volvo main dealer, and spend quite a lot of time in all types of ICE, hybrid and full electric (BEV) cars. 

I wouldnt consider buying one (BEV), because at the moment the premium for buying one is enormous over a similar spec ICE or mild hybrid car. 

Purchase price aside though, the Volvo BEV offering (XC40 P8 or Polestar 2) are excellent cars, and could be used by many as a daily driver, with no issues about range anxiety etc. Performance is startling for cars of this size/type. But if you have no facility to charge at home, or very regularly do 100 mile plus trips, these cars arent ideal. 

PHEV (plug in hybrid) are a good compromise though, and volvos will do over 20 miles on a charge (actual amount depends on model). That is enough for many peoples commute, school run, shopping etc.

Frankly, I see the current generation of BEV cars as a necessary, 'not quite there' stepping stone to what comes next. But I am entirely convinced that the future WILL be with electric, and I was a sceptic. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/16/2021 at 8:47 PM, j_jza80 said:

 

PHEV (plug in hybrid) are a good compromise though, and volvos will do over 20 miles on a charge (actual amount depends on model). That is enough for many peoples commute, school run, shopping etc.

 

I've thought about a used V60 PHEV, in the future if the range got to a bit more miles I think these would be great for me. I had a 2009 XC and liked the diesel engine, and the V60 has a similar economical diesel and with the electric it seems to solve a lot of practical problems and diesel and electric combine I imagine quite brisk. Downsides I spose are it's got bork potential in 2 systems not just one, but I like the idea of one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some great points above but I reckon in our case we were just a bit premature in opting for the whole EV-thing.

I don't want to appear to be old and traditionalist but we're going to stay with the proven security and reliability of an ICE vehicle for a few years to come.

That said, I still keep an eye on the new Hyundai Ioniq I5 and the Kia EV6 platforms and I'm just amazed to read how inefficient both cars become when the cold weather hits and the car driving ranges depletes massively.

All the best,

Andrew

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A sort of a victim of their own efficiency! The loss to air resistance, heating the cabin etc is enough to effect the energy left for motion, an ICE is so inefficient naturally that the extra losses aren't really noticed! 

It would be interesting to see the difference between a summer 55mph run and a zero degrees 85mph winter run. Manufacturers quoting unrealistic MPG's might be annoying but generally expected now and overlooked, a new EV with an 'X' quoted range that often never gets close might wear thin for owners.

Also others have stated the EV tech will improve rapidly (ICE has been on diminishing returns for ages now?) which further nudges people towards waiting to switch?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 11:27 AM, SupraAyf said:

.........and then rejected it 16-days later.

What a total pain in the arse it was! We thought we were being brave by buying an EV in the first place but it's now very evident to me that this is a developing technology and needs work.

Our own car wouldn't engage drive or reverse, the parking sensors were wonky, the central locking failed, the power boot stopped working, there were countless electronic faults with the computer, the range dropped massively in the cold with the climate and heating switched on, plus a number of other things too.

And it's also very apparent that the entire UK Hyundai dealer network knows the 'square root of nothing' about this new EV platform.

All in all a thoroughly miserable experience of this 'newly launched' Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate.

We've decided to stay with ICE vehicles for the timebeing until we can be sure that any future EV technology is reliable enough for us to think about purchasing a leccy car again.

Has anyone else considered or bought an EV? I would be interested to know your thoughts.

All the best,

Andrew

I bought a secondhand Nissan Leaf and kept it for 3 years put tyres and wiper blades on that was it .I used it mostly for nursery and school runs and round the town it simply could not be beat.Great to drive and very quiet and comfortable.I had done a lot of research before taking the plunge so was well aware of the range issues in cold weather and where to do the charging,as i live in terraced housing.Because i live in a rural area i had to run another car for long trips (350z)but if i could get an electric with around 350 (genuine) mile range i would have another.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, formatzero said:

I bought a secondhand Nissan Leaf and kept it for 3 years put tyres and wiper blades on that was it .I used it mostly for nursery and school runs and round the town it simply could not be beat.Great to drive and very quiet and comfortable.I had done a lot of research before taking the plunge so was well aware of the range issues in cold weather and where to do the charging,as i live in terraced housing.Because i live in a rural area i had to run another car for long trips (350z)but if i could get an electric with around 350 (genuine) mile range i would have another.

We have a 2016 30kwh Nissan Leaf and your bang on for local trips they are hard to beat👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I looked at electric before getting my current daily, but the price premium doesn’t outweigh the fuel saving so it was still cheaper to buy a petrol car. However there are now some not too bad looking cars on the market so I may be tempted next time around when the prices have come down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Raven said:

My next family car will be a EV. 

I love my xtrail but i do mostly short trips around so a EV would make perfect sense. 

I dont think i can afford one but i will be blagging a test drive

https://www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/ariya.html

The other issue is that battery lease fee is about what the average person would pay for fuel a month, if you opt for the battery owned then it’s a big jump in price! There is a bursary but it doesn’t really entice people who weren’t going to buy one anyway. If the government is really serious about electric cars then they should scrap VAT on them to bring the price inline with the petrol alternatives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Tyson said:

The other issue is that battery lease fee is about what the average person would pay for fuel a month, if you opt for the battery owned then it’s a big jump in price! There is a bursary but it doesn’t really entice people who weren’t going to buy one anyway. If the government is really serious about electric cars then they should scrap VAT on them to bring the price inline with the petrol alternatives.

I mitigated the cost by having an owned battery and buying second hand and at that time public chargers in Scotland were free,so basicly i had 3years with no fuel cost and no road tax.When i traded the car in depreciation was'nt any worse than regular car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, formatzero said:

I mitigated the cost by having an owned battery and buying second hand and at that time public chargers in Scotland were free,so basicly i had 3years with no fuel cost and no road tax.When i traded the car in depreciation was'nt any worse than regular car.

Problem is, lots of people have gotten in a cycle of buying a new car every 3 years, so aren't interested in 2nd hand especially when new car deals are more competitive than used. There's also the added risk of the battery dying and being footed with a huge bill to replace that runs into the £1000's, with the only replacements being available from the manufacturer.

It all boils down to what your priorities are?

  • Environmental impact
  • Car / Running cost saving
  • Having a new car

etc...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.