The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mild juddering while driving

Noz

Afternoon all,

can't find anything on dr google. Have a really minor judder while driving under load. Feels engine related, disappears when clutch is in. Mainly during constant speed I can notice it.

Could this be a misfire from coils?

I must add, I think my piston rings have gone. Not sure the micro amount of oil going into the cylinder could cause that to happen.

21 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

Is it engine speed related? So off load theres no judder? Is there a certain road speed it happens? 

Its definitely lower speeds I notice it. Feels like less throttle makes a difference if I'm honest.

Going for a drive tomorrow will report back. But less throttle seems to be more noticeable. So would be lower RPMs

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 9:33 PM, Swampy442 said:

Lower engine speeds or road speeds? Try different gears and revs/loads. Could be engine/gearbox mount or prop donut. Where do you feel it, seat etc?

Haven't driven the car since to be fair. But usually crusing speeds. Haven't had the new tyres at speed yet to be fair bro.

50 minutes ago, Nash said:

I had similar on an MGZT, it was caused by faulty engine mounts !

Oh wow. That would suck. Engine out next year. Until then, I'm not checking those ! lol

Pull the plugs and check colour/ condition. Won't cost a thing and may give you an indication if you have an ignition issue. Probably worth checking fuel pressure after that if you're convinced it's engine related. 

What makes you think your piston rings are dead? Wouldn't continue driving it if that is the case, will end up making the block scrap.

20 minutes ago, j_jza80 said:

Pull the plugs and check colour/ condition. Won't cost a thing and may give you an indication if you have an ignition issue. Probably worth checking fuel pressure after that if you're convinced it's engine related. 

What makes you think your piston rings are dead? Wouldn't continue driving it if that is the case, will end up making the block scrap.

Good shout on the plugs. Will have a look. Maybe I'll see something on the logs. I need to learn how that shizzle works really not played with syvecs. If only I had a friendly guru who could help 🤔

Smokes on idle. Not on startup. Only when warm.

I have a spare block. Why will it scrap it out of interest.

1 hour ago, Noz said:

I have a spare block. Why will it scrap it out of interest.

Assuming it is the rings, Ringland damage will likely follow of left. You'll also have the effects of long term oil contamination, and the knock on effects of the component wear that will cause. 

21 hours ago, j_jza80 said:

Assuming it is the rings, Ringland damage will likely follow of left. You'll also have the effects of long term oil contamination, and the knock on effects of the component wear that will cause. 

Correct me if I'm wrong. But you're talking more about component damage that block damage.

If i rebuild it. With all new parts. None of that matters then really.

Its only block integrity I care about currently.

11 hours ago, Swampy442 said:

Smoke on hot idle sounds like turbo oil seals, you'd have thought if the engine was worn out it would smoke all the time 

Had it rebuilt mate.