The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sky / Safely Insured not offering agreed value insurance on the Supra?

Celicasaur

2 minutes ago, Tyson said:

It is strange as the underwriter is the same so the policy should be the same, it might be slightly different prices as the brokers negotiate different discounts. Just feels like that Sky didn't want to do the leg work.

Isn't that how they get your business and earn their money ? dropping the ball me thinks as they aren't taking any risks being just the broker 

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

1 minute ago, tayr said:

Sky just want the easy route. It’s as simple as that. For everyone of us wanted an agreed value there is thousands of others who just want cheap and cheerful insurance. No risk to them then

Its no risk to Sky, they're the broker 

2 minutes ago, tayr said:

Sky just want the easy route. It’s as simple as that. For everyone of us wanted an agreed value there is thousands of others who just want cheap and cheerful insurance. No risk to them then

The ironic thing about that though is those that want cheap and cheerful are probably more likely to claim than those that want more cover i.e. Agreed value. My car does less than 1000 miles a year at the moment, I have a dash cam and I drive much more consciously in it because I am all too aware of the muppets that lurk everywhere who aren't that bothered if they hit something.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tyson said:

The ironic thing about that though is those that want cheap and cheerful are probably more likely to claim than those that want more cover i.e. Agreed value. My car does less than 1000 miles a year at the moment, I have a dash cam and I drive much more consciously in it because I am all too aware of the muppets that lurk everywhere who aren't that bothered if they hit something.

This is literally so true.

I probably do even less than 1000 a year in the Supra and I drive at 45mph in 50mph zones FFS 😅 But gosh it reeeeeally gets on my nerves when kids in their modern high powered turbo german cars cut me up or drive right up my a$$ to egg me on to put my foot down. I simply move over to the left and let them overtake. If anybody asks me to race, I just say that I don't race on the street due to 750hp etc (nobody even bats an eyelid when I tell them that 😄 )

• 2 months later...

SO today after all this time (and some almost 3 months since I took the policy out? It turns out that I was sold a dream to make the initial insurance purchase. I just had an email through with the certificate valuing the car at....£40k. My car is a mint JDM TT6 in the high 50k mileage range. Pretty sure if I put my car up for sale today at £40k it would be gone by tomorrow 🙄

Ahem, so now I'm going to have to appeal and make a fuss about this and then also keep this in mind for my renewal next year, which will likely be elsewhere if these guys refuse to honour what I was sold on. It's not even a case of the car being over valued - the market for a similar car will show asking prices of £60k+ now. Grr...i hate admin and running around over silliness.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Celicasaur said:

SO today after all this time (and some almost 3 months since I took the policy out? It turns out that I was sold a dream to make the initial insurance purchase. I just had an email through with the certificate valuing the car at....£40k. My car is a mint JDM TT6 in the high 50k mileage range. Pretty sure if I put my car up for sale today at £40k it would be gone by tomorrow 🙄

Ahem, so now I'm going to have to appeal and make a fuss about this and then also keep this in mind for my renewal next year, which will likely be elsewhere if these guys refuse to honour what I was sold on. It's not even a case of the car being over valued - the market for a similar car will show asking prices of £60k+ now. Grr...i hate admin and running around over silliness.....

Expect a premium increase if they do agree to a higher value, as long as you put a good case forward with examples you should get at least 50k

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 3:10 PM, Celicasaur said:

I have recently cancelled my insurance with Sky/Safely insured and given my business to Reis motorsport.

Sky would not increase my agreed value this year, which has been the same value for the past three years even though these cars are increasing in value.

Reis asked for an independent valuation, so I contacted this guy John Glynn at https://classic-car-valuations.com/ , 3 days later after sending loads of pics and specs I received a 5 page valuation. My car is now insured with an agreed value I am happy with and more realistic in todays market.

It seems Sky/Safely insured have lost their way with these cars now

8 minutes ago, markssupra said:

I have recently cancelled my insurance with Sky/Safely insured and given my business to Reis motorsport.

Sky would not increase my agreed value this year, which has been the same value for the past three years even though these cars are increasing in value.

Reis asked for an independent valuation, so I contacted this guy John Glynn at https://classic-car-valuations.com/ , 3 days later after sending loads of pics and specs I received a 5 page valuation. My car is now insured with an agreed value I am happy with and more realistic in todays market.

It seems Sky/Safely insured have lost their way with these cars now

I must say i was really impressed with Reis - unfortunately the guy i spoke to on the phone originally may have been fairly new and didnt seem to have a lot of authority. Managed to speak to a lady who was a bit higher up there and she was brilliant, making her own decisions etc and gave the agreed value that i was after. They weren't the cheapest but sometimes it's worth paying a little more for peace of mind

2 hours ago, tayr said:

I must say i was really impressed with Reis - unfortunately the guy i spoke to on the phone originally may have been fairly new and didnt seem to have a lot of authority. Managed to speak to a lady who was a bit higher up there and she was brilliant, making her own decisions etc and gave the agreed value that i was after. They weren't the cheapest but sometimes it's worth paying a little more for peace of mind

Agreed value will play a huge part on Insurer competitiveness for these car going forward, as there seems to be a huge disparity in their perceived value to the tune of 5 figures in some cases. I sent a pretty lengthy email for mine and it worked, citing as much of the nerdy facts I knew about current stocks in the UK plus recent adverts.

Just like everything else insurance related, you will have to fight for what you feel is fair, insurance companies will never voluntarily increase their risk unless they are compelled to.

• 8 months later...

With my renewal looming in August at some point, I wonder how much of a battle I'll have to get the agreed value pushed to what it probably should be. I was too lazy to ever follow up on the £40k from last year.

Would it be a case of presenting all of the adverts of TT6 cars and asking them to reconsider the valuation? That being said, did you know....any car which they have as valued over £30k MUST be parked on the driveway at night, as a minimum, or else if it gets stolen (even if you temporarily needed your driveway to have a builders skip on there for a night), the claim will get rejected. Apparently it's in the small print, which an advisor alerted me to.

Everyone should familiarise themselves with their policy small print.

Another common disclaimer is if the car is stolen within 500m of your home then it won't be covered. So if you have a local shop, or pub or friend you happen to stop at within 500m of your home then your car won't be covered.

23 minutes ago, rider said:

Another common disclaimer is if the car is stolen within 500m of your home then it won't be covered. So if you have a local shop, or pub or friend you happen to stop at within 500m of your home then your car won't be covered.

Almost every insurer i have been with have made mistakes on their documents too. Whether it be my address, occupation, where its kept, etc. Always worth checking these things. Usually have to remind them multiple times. Luckily Haggerty is brilliant so don't have an issue

On 7/27/2022 at 9:27 AM, rider said:

That's probably one of the few ones that I sought of understand. Insurance companies want to minimise risk, which they do by throwing all kinds of caveats and conditions into a policy. The more expensive the car, the more conditions there are, especially with performance or classic/vintage cars as their desirability makes them more appealing to thieves. They want it not to be driven and to be hidden!