The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power steering leaking

shaz2010

Hi mate yes even without moving the wheel! Just bought a new cap from Toyota and it still does it. Just removed the reservoir and cleaning it out as I read crude can cause this in the bottom of the reservoir. Just about to put it back on. Seemed there was a bit of shite in the bottom. But not sure it’s that.   If there is air in the system when I put the new cap back on is there a way to bleed it. 

35 minutes ago, shaz2010 said:

Also does it matter that the new cap has a different side indicator? Old on the right

image.jpg

The reservoir isn't very deep so I would have thought your new one would be touching the bottom and has maybe punctured the filter? And it looks like the new 'Cold' is lower than the original so the reading is different and would be wrong. I'd go back to your dealer and make sure you get a like for like replacement. You can jack the car up and turn the wheels with the engine off to help bleed it, and the same again with the engine on. The TSRM says this: 

795084954_Screenshot2021-07-29at7_02_28pm.thumb.png.d3d6f721f18b56f67ba54f612e5a6790.png

1 minute ago, m12aak said:

The reservoir isn't very deep so I would have thought your new one would be touching the bottom and has maybe punctured the filter? And it looks like the new 'Cold' is lower than the original so the reading is different and would be wrong. I'd go back to your dealer and make sure you get a like for like replacement. You can jack the car up and turn the wheels with the engine off to help bleed it, and the same again with the engine on. The TSRM says this: 

795084954_Screenshot2021-07-29at7_02_28pm.thumb.png.d3d6f721f18b56f67ba54f612e5a6790.png

Sorry mate the new is on the right 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, m12aak said:

I’ll try this tomorrow cheers been doing that but not jacked up in the air 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shaz2010 said:

Sorry mate the new is on the right 🤦🏻‍♂️

Ah ok, iirc both my JDM NA and TT are the same as on the right, the one on the left looks to be an early cap between 1993/05 to 1994/05, part no: 44305-24030. I don't think the type of cap will affect your issue though as it should screw on and seal the same and wouldn't foul the reservoir (obviously) as it's shorter, so you should be fine, ignore my previous comment. Although once the issue is sorted I'd try using your old one again as the level height does look different. Keep us posted, hopefully it all it needs is a bleed.

1 hour ago, m12aak said:

Ah ok, iirc both my JDM NA and TT are the same as on the right, the one on the left looks to be an early cap between 1993/05 to 1994/05, part no: 44305-24030. I don't think the type of cap will affect your issue though as it should screw on and seal the same and wouldn't foul the reservoir (obviously) as it's shorter, so you should be fine, ignore my previous comment. Although once the issue is sorted I'd try using your old one again as the level height does look different. Keep us posted, hopefully it all it needs is a bleed.

Don’t no if mine being a Uk spec would matter and that’s why it’s bigger ? Not sure. Yeah I probs will as it’s doing it with both. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

System is A) to full and B) full of air. Jack the front so the wheels are off the ground, go lock to lock a few times, get the air out

Cheers mate I’ll jack it up tomorrow, would that be turning while the engine is started? And with the cap on. 

1 hour ago, Swampy442 said:

Engine running, cap off so you can see whats going on. When did it start doing that?

Cheers 

just on Sunday took it for a run as I do every other weekend. Stopped about a mile from home and got some more fluid and topped it up and got home with out doing many full turns. Was pretty much a straight road. Hopefully I’ve not killed the pump but there was still fluid in when I got home just was leaking 

Edited by shaz2010 (see edit history)

8 hours ago, shaz2010 said:

Cheers 

just on Sunday took it for a run as I do every other weekend. Stopped about a mile from home and got some more fluid and topped it up and got home with out doing many full turns. Was pretty much a straight road. Hopefully I’ve not killed the pump but there was still fluid in when I got home just was leaking 

My NA reservoir was very blocked and was starving my pump for a little while before I sent it to Chris Wilson to be rebuilt. He said there was evidence of cavitation but it was rebuildable and it’s been fine for coming up to two years now, so I think it should be okay, maybe only a rebuild at the very most (if it’s not a seal in the pump that has gone)

1 hour ago, m12aak said:

My NA reservoir was very blocked and was starving my pump for a little while before I sent it to Chris Wilson to be rebuilt. He said there was evidence of cavitation but it was rebuildable and it’s been fine for coming up to two years now, so I think it should be okay, maybe only a rebuild at the very most (if it’s not a seal in the pump that has gone)

Is that due to lack of use or old fluid?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyson said:

Is that due to lack of use or old fluid?

Old fluid for sure. It was black and smelt burnt, probably hadn't been done in well over a decade, same with the coolant. From what I understand my NA was in daily use since import (2003) until about 2016, then it was driven on the odd weekend until I bought it, so I think it's more lack of a service rather than sitting. I did a flush using this method (@shaz2010 - this might be helpful if you want to flush your system once you find the issue), thinking i'd caught it in time but the whining got progressively worse. White spirit etc. wouldn't shift the crud in the bottom so I just fitted a good used one and coupled with the rebuilt pump it's sorted now. If your fluid is still red/sweet and has been changed somewhat regularly I don't think it'll be an issue you'd experience. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, m12aak said:

Old fluid for sure. It was black and smelt burnt, probably hadn't been done in well over a decade, same with the coolant. From what I understand my NA was in daily use since import (2003) until about 2016, then it was driven on the odd weekend until I bought it, so I think it's more lack of a service rather than sitting. I did a flush using this method (@shaz2010 - this might be helpful if you want to flush your system once you find the issue), thinking i'd caught it in time but the whining got progressively worse. White spirit etc. wouldn't shift the crud in the bottom so I just fitted a good used one and coupled with the rebuilt pump it's sorted now. If your fluid is still red/sweet and has been changed somewhat regularly I don't think it'll be an issue you'd experience. 

Good to know 👍

• Like 1