The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air Conditioning Compressor

Paulie

Hi all,

I've just been told that my ageing 1993 Jap Import N/A Auto MKIV that I've spent what seems a lifetime restoring needs an A/C compressor.  The existing one has seized apparently......right as it was ready to come home to me (after 8 years).

Toyota are able to get a remanufactured one from Europe at a cost of £700+, and that doesn't include the clutch.  There are also Toyota dealers in the US that have the correct part (checked with local dealer), but to get the compressor, clutch, taxes and postage.....I'm still looking at the £700-800 mark.

I've seen this Denso model on eBay (US seller), and it claims to fit my 1993 N/A Auto, but I'd rather know if it in fact does fit before I lash out cash and have it shipped.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392587275308

Does anyone know if this might fit my car?  Has anyone experience of buying these items for theirs?

Or, does anyone have a compressor for sale, or even, does anyone know if they can be refurbished here in the UK?  I guess they can but I've no idea where to go.

Sorry for lots of questions......

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Paul

I'd check that Denso recommendation as I have seen the 471-1205 sold as the one to buy. I think that comes with the clutch so maybe that is the difference? You can do the leg work researching it, I'm off to the pub in a few minutes. 

Here are a couple of links

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/denso,4711205,a/c+compressor,6628

https://www.mvpmotorsports.com/denso/denso-a/c-compressor/4711205/i-2245440.aspx

I have a RA discount code for a 5% discount giving a delivered duty paid price of around £250 for a new compressor by the time your credit car applies a foreign transaction fee. Code is 178002326162134790

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mwilkinson said:

I had a look at my old A/C compressor the other day and the plate referred to in the other thread comes of with four bolts.  It's a simple swap.

That’s a relief!  The new pump comes with new gaskets to use with the swapped plate too (I think).

33 minutes ago, Paulie said:

The install instructions seem to indicate that you install the original plate.  The plate on the mew compressor is the ‘shipping plate’.

image.jpg

Makes sense.  So the pump is the same for all markets, with a requirement to simply replace the cover plate.

Thanks for clarifying this.

1 hour ago, Paulie said:

You aren’t going to believe it.  I bought the compressor and ac drier from Rock Auto in the US.  Postage was around £28 and it was delivered today with no import fees.  Incredible.

The £28 included the 3.5% duty, your invoice will show the VAT also taken. So the price you paid is delivered duty paid.

On 7/7/2021 at 7:51 PM, Paulie said:

You aren’t going to believe it.  I bought the compressor and ac drier from Rock Auto in the US.  Postage was around £28 and it was delivered today with no import fees.  Incredible.

Just had my compressor delivered today, ordered Wednesday last week, no import fees to pay. Happy with that!

Just now, jim_supra said:

Just had my compressor delivered today, ordered Wednesday last week, no import fees to pay. Happy with that!

Well done, I didn't have any import fees either.  A stroke of luck.

I just had an evaporator core delivered today with no import fees either.  I think that it is just a random thing where they check and charge.

3 hours ago, jim_supra said:

Did you order that from Rock Auto too?  I ordered mine last Sunday and it hasn't arrived.

I also located and bought an new original Supra RHD evaporator.  It was on eBay, there are a few more available.

7 minutes ago, mwilkinson said:

Did you order that from Rock Auto too?  I ordered mine last Sunday and it hasn't arrived.

I also located and bought an new original Supra RHD evaporator.  It was on eBay, there are a few more available.

Yes, I ordered from Rock Auto.  The compressor took a few days, the evaporator took just over a week.

Cool.  If the evaporator I bought doesn’t fit, I’ll hunt down one on eBay.

im hoping it might because mine’s a 1993 and I understand that they changed evaporators in around Oct 1994.