The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Carbon Windscreen Scuttle Panel Installation

Peter P

Afternoon Folks,

Hoping someone on here may have fitted one of these Whifbitz carbon scuttle panels and have some tips/pointers on how to fit it right? We offered it up on my car as front screen is out and bonnet is off (so good access) and it doesn’t seem to fit very well. Just wondering if anyone else had issues and if so, what you did to solve it and get it to fit right? We can try chopping it about to make it sit properly, but obviously won’t be able to send it back if we do and it still doesn’t fit right. 🙄

Also anyone who has one installed, how do you get on in terms of your air vents/air flow? I noticed the OEM trim has lots of slots for airflow, there are none on the carbon version. I’d have thought that could be an issue for drawing in air to circulate in the car, but happy to hear differently from anyone who has one of these fitted? It’s quite important for me as I am ditching the aircon system so be useful to know if I can still use the air vents etc.

Thanks in advance for any tips or help folks. 🙂 

Pete

6DD9FAA8-6ACE-4436-809C-B3DFFEEBD915.jpeg

13AEAE9D-B67F-4F9C-A15D-E9DB5AB614DA.jpeg

248B9CA9-11B7-4FC9-8EBD-DDE630FBB0F2.jpeg

A6A072F1-56DA-4340-B40D-10CB28B710CC.jpeg

8AE49200-FA7B-4110-A909-0DB12A0F991E.jpeg

C94EC596-23F6-493A-BCC5-062484CB1ACF.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Burna said:

Why on earth are you ditching the aircon?!

Personal choice really, it’s an old system and takes up space/robs power. I’m only using the car for high days and holidays (not daily driver), so can live without it.

Appreciate people may disagree/ have their opinions as with most things. 🙂 

11 minutes ago, Peter P said:

Personal choice really, it’s an old system and takes up space/robs power. I’m only using the car for high days and holidays (not daily driver), so can live without it.

Appreciate people may disagree/ have their opinions as with most things. 🙂 

The power it "robs" really is negligible tbh, and if power is what you are going for then giving it full on during hot summer days for any kind of journey, especially holidays as you say, you and your passenger are going to be hanging out of your car mate! I've seen it on the trips I organise! I personally think you're making a real bad choice with removing it. Keep it in and enjoy the car. The up sides far outweigh any downsides.

Edited by Burna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Burna said:

The power it "robs" really is negligible tbh, and if power is what you are going for then giving it full on during hot summer days for any kind of journey, especially holidays as you say, you and your passenger are going to be hanging out of your car mate! I've seen it on the trips I organise! I personally think you're making a real bad choice with removing it. Keep it in and enjoy the car. The up sides far outweigh any downsides.

All valid points, issue is my condenser is scrap and I am unsure what else needs replacing to get it working properly. I was under the impression most parts for the air conditioning system are obsolete? If I can source replacements then I will probably keep it especially as I am hopefully going to use the carbon scuttle panel which must restrict cabin airflow as there are no holes to draw in the air?

I’m hoping someone here has fitted the carbon scuttle and can share some tips and even a photo or two of the install (mainly around the bonnet hinges as think this is where we need to cut and trim to get it to fit properly).

2 minutes ago, Peter P said:

All valid points, issue is my condenser is scrap and I am unsure what else needs replacing to get it working properly. I was under the impression most parts for the air conditioning system are obsolete? If I can source replacements then I will probably keep it especially as I am hopefully going to use the carbon scuttle panel which must restrict cabin airflow as there are no holes to draw in the air?

I’m hoping someone here has fitted the carbon scuttle and can share some tips and even a photo or two of the install (mainly around the bonnet hinges as think this is where we need to cut and trim to get it to fit properly).

@m12aak is the guy to advise you on these, hes helped a few of us get new parts now

• Like 2

Totally agree with Burna about aircon.  Both of the Supras I've owned came with defective aircon and both cars was miserable to use without it.  A must have feature in any Supra.

I don't see how these carbon scuttle panels work at all.  They totally inhibit any cabin air getting into the car.  The whole HVAC is effectively only able to recirculate the air in the car.

Is there a version with the vents?

• Like 1

Just now, mwilkinson said:

Totally agree with Burna about aircon.  Both of the Supras I've owned came with defective aircon and both cars was miserable to use without it.  A must have feature in any Supra.

I don't see how these carbon scuttle panels work at all.  They totally inhibit any cabin air getting into the car.  The whole HVAC is effectively only able to recirculate the air in the car.

Is there a version with the vents?

Thanks mate. 🙂 

Sadly no, not seen anything with vents. All of these are moulded with only the screw holes cut out. Guessing I can add some small holes if it causes any issues, but based on the fact no one has complained or posted any issues with these (I’m told plenty have been sold), I should be ok.

Will see how it goes as can always fit a new OEM panel if needed. 

1 minute ago, Peter P said:

Thanks mate. 🙂 

Sadly no, not seen anything with vents. All of these are moulded with only the screw holes cut out. Guessing I can add some small holes if it causes any issues, but based on the fact no one has complained or posted any issues with these (I’m told plenty have been sold), I should be ok.

Will see how it goes as can always fit a new OEM panel if needed. 

I've no doubt Paul has managed to sell a few of these.

You could always get a new, or good condition second hand scuttle and get it dipped and lacquered? 

I think I've seen that done before. 🤔

In any event, you were right when you said its your car and you can do what you want, but I suspect if you're honest with yourself you know Mr T didn't put the vents in the original for no reason. 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Burna said:

I disagree, in Death Valley perhaps you might need it, in the UK for those 4 days a year its worth it, other than that pointless lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swampy442 said:

I disagree, in Death Valley perhaps you might need it, in the UK for those 4 days a year its worth it, other than that pointless lol

When you drive the car hard have you felt the heat coming through the firewall and transmission tunnel?!? It will cook you no matter what the weather! Lol Trust me I know! And seen it with drivers hanging out the windows with no aircon who push their cars. My aircon is on all year round, it’s climate control after all lol 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Burna said:

how do you explain this then..

The_fast_and_the_Furious_A_C_OFF.gif.1d0eba2ea92a79f872630c5bad3187f6.gif

https://makeagif.com/i/Q0hxFC

Edited by tayr (see edit history)
  • Haha 7

I think a lot of carbon pieces are like that unfortenately. My whifbitz cooling panel (in front of radiator) was kinda like that too. The carbon quality was really nice, but the fitment was not perfect. Some holes didnt line up. I had to grind a tiny bit of the front edges also. All in all im happy with it. It looks so damn nice.

Seems like most of these pieces may be more for track cars? where shit doesnt matter that much

• Like 1

A few people i know with these are desperately trying to find OEM scuttles. The AC and Fans hardly work. Can't bring in any fresh air and some have even seen massive mould build up because of it getting moist and unable to bring any fresh air in.

Just don't sell your OEM scuttle for future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric said:

A few people i know with these are desperately trying to find OEM scuttles. The AC and Fans hardly work. Can't bring in any fresh air and some have even seen massive mould build up because of it getting moist and unable to bring any fresh air in.

Just don't sell your OEM scuttle for future.

I've never understood since 2004 why anyone would want to fit an inferior part over a working OEM part?!? 

• 2 months later...
On 6/22/2021 at 11:26 PM, Hissig said:

I think a lot of carbon pieces are like that unfortenately. My whifbitz cooling panel (in front of radiator) was kinda like that too. The carbon quality was really nice, but the fitment was not perfect. Some holes didnt line up. I had to grind a tiny bit of the front edges also. All in all im happy with it. It looks so damn nice.

Seems like most of these pieces may be more for track cars? where shit doesnt matter that much

Can I just say that as a manufacturer of carbon and grp parts, slight fitment issues aren't always linked to poor quality. Bear in mind that moulds do slightly warp over time, this is just the case with composites, and parts to more of a degree due to being so thin. 

In the case of the scuttle panel, if you've ever removed one, you'll know exactly how flexible and flimsy they are. Trying to mould one whilst keeping it straight and true to it's fitted shape is almost impossible. With this in mind it's no surprise that any 'copies' aren't ever going to fit as well as a factory original injection moulded part.

Don't get me wrong, i've seen some real shite over the years, but anyone who buys an aftermarket hand made panel and expects it to fit 100% perfectly has expectations that are too high. 

• Like 1