The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supras gone classic at 25+, Son cant get temp inssurance anymore

griffsplace

Last year my son could use online services to get temporary insurance for the supra(NA) for the weekend etc.

This year he wants to take it out, and no one will do it anymore, one quoted that it was considered a classic and not what they cover.

I tried my own insurance with Perfromance Direct (annually £152, this year FYI) who declined to provide quote despite a raft of we cover sports/modified/young driver/ etc etc on the website.

Anyone got any ideas on how to crack this. An annual policy for himself is £900 which he just cant afford.

That's rough. I know the feeling (got my NA at 18, insurance was £3000 the first year 🙃). It's dropped to £600 now I'm 22 (21 when I got my last policy).

Anyways, the only thing I can think of is for him to enter an annual policy and pay monthly, but they need the first couple months up front (I think), so it's probably only worth it if he got it now and paid for a few months or so during the rest of summer/autumn, and then cancelled it at a later date. I believe there is no issue with having two insurance policies on one car too, so I'd leave your current policy alone. Elephant have always given me decent prices on the NA, so I'd try a quote with them direct for your son (if you haven't already), and obviously add yourself/your spouse onto his quote etc. to bump the price down a bit. 

Fingers crossed you can find something reasonable, good luck!

Might be a bit of a cheeky approach but I know there are standard insurance policies that allow you to drive any car third party as an additional option (at a cost of course).

It might not be available to under 21's or 25's or something but worth reading through the fine print of one of those policies to see if he could be insured that way? I know it doesn't apply to partners/couples cars as it could be abused, but might be viable for a classic car between father and son.

On 6/22/2021 at 9:36 AM, Style said:

Might be a bit of a cheeky approach but I know there are standard insurance policies that allow you to drive any car third party as an additional option (at a cost of course).

It might not be available to under 21's or 25's or something but worth reading through the fine print of one of those policies to see if he could be insured that way? I know it doesn't apply to partners/couples cars as it could be abused, but might be viable for a classic car between father and son.

I would be careful doing this, my insurance policy does not allow anyone else to drive the car, even third party. Also I would not dream of doing that these days when NA's are selling for 5 figures. There is a reason that insurance cover is changing for these cars, you need only look at the sky rocketing value. You can't really blame insurers for not wanting to provide cover for a weekend blast for young drivers on a car that is not theirs or that they don't have reasonable experience of driving.

I wouldn't dream of doing anything "cheeky" in these cars now, most owners won't be able to afford a replacement if the insurer doesn't pay out or low balls them.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, Nathanj1142 said:

Insure the car on a full policy and cancel before 14 day 'cool off period' is up for a full refund minus the admin fee 😉 (£10-40)

All good as long as they don't have an accident which voids the cooling off period and means the full amount is payable 🙂 

• Like 1