The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch recommendations

Simo2007

I’m after decent clutch recommendations! Spec 2+ currently and new oem flywheel, upgraded to 3/4” land cruiser master clutch cylinder but I’ve still got the slightest clutch drag (shifting into first and reverse after driving for a bit can become quite frustrating) so I’ve had enough and just want to swap out the Spec 2+.

Not fussed about cost, I want a quality clutch kit but not overkill (performance figs below). Shifter bushes changed also to rule them out and have bled the stock clutch hydraulics several times along with the new land cruiser master so now I think it’s the clutch geometry  that’s the issue. 

Running a V160, 6266 single turbo and 460bhp/460ft lbs to the wheels. Will be installing 264 cams and a few more mods in the future but won’t be going above 600bhp/600ft lbs to the wheels. 

I’m based in Herts and usually do my own work but I can’t do the clutch on my own on the garage floor so after recommendations on who would you take it to as well!  

@Chris Wilson if you end up reading this I know we were in talks a few months back about doing this but wasn’t sure if you could source the clutch kit (OS Giken and movement conversion). 

My TT kit would be unhappy with that much torque,  but a twin plate Giken would be fine, will rattle, will wear fast in street usage (traffic), and needs a Giken movement reversal kit. But all spares available and a top quality kit. There may be a big organic sprung plate kit available somewhere with no issues, but I haven't found one. The Yanks pass that much and more torque through organic clutches.

2 minutes ago, Chris Wilson said:

My TT kit would be unhappy with that much torque,  but a twin plate Giken would be fine, will rattle, will wear fast in street usage (traffic), and needs a Giken movement reversal kit. But all spares available and a top quality kit. There may be a big organic sprung plate kit available somewhere with no issues, but I haven't found one. The Yanks pass that much and more torque through organic clutches.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I had a feeling your kits wouldn’t be happy with my current or future torque values. 

Are you able to source the OS Giken twin plate? If not would you be happy to fit if I managed to source it? 

4 minutes ago, Chris Wilson said:

I'll run the build past Giken on Monday and get a price and availability. Yes, I can fit it, thanks Simon.

Thanks very much Chris, greatly appreciated. I will ping you an email early next week to see how you got on 🙂 

Just now, Annabella

Ask LuxLuc, he just recommended a clutch setup that drives like 'oem' to someone. And we know his HP demands 🙂

😂😂😂

With 600 rwhp / 600 ftlbs, a single plate clutch won't survive.
I would consider the RPS twin cluch.

My RPS triple C is great.

10 years ago, I ran a RPS Max clutch : pedal felt like stock. I had 626bhp /580 ftlbs ; however, 600 rwhp is too much for that clutch