The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do MOT's need a road test?

neilp9876

My car is in for an MOT this morning ata local garage. The missus popped to the local shops and saw my car driving along behind her!

Now I think the garage usually do a road test because they mentioned that they had never driven an MR2 before and how much they liked driving it (its the wifes).

But is this standard or unusual to be driving cars in for an MOT?

not really no

As far as i know Some cars like 4x4 use a brake tester inside the car instead of the rollers ... Sometimes they might give the car a quick run if the emissions are not passing to warm up the cat but generally no they shouldn't need a test drive 

Just spoke to a mot mate, the answer is no not for the MOT.. Soon as the MOT has started it cant leave the garage

However

He did mention that some garages will do a road test after the MOT as part of there policy to make sure the car safe when handing the keys back to the customer 

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

If they like driving around in your MR2 i wouldn't suggest you have the Supra MOT done there, that might take a week or so to complete. 

There is no reason for a MOT test drive, none at all. The only possible reason would be if your wife said something to them like there is a worrying rattle or the brakes don't seem quite right or I'm concerned the clutch is slipping. Beyond that it's just a joy ride.

They did do it to mine once years ago because they did not want to scratch the rather wide wheels on the roller ,  they put the brake tester on the floor but i did the driving , MoT  guy was sat next to me  when we did the test .  

6 hours ago, rider said:

If they like driving around in your MR2 i wouldn't suggest you have the Supra MOT done there, that might take a week or so to complete. 

There is no reason for a MOT test drive, none at all. The only possible reason would be if your wife said something to them like there is a worrying rattle or the brakes don't seem quite right or I'm concerned the clutch is slipping. Beyond that it's just a joy ride.

The only other reason is if they needed to do a brake test and were worried by wheels/ body kit on the rollers. Or its as rider says joy ride time. 

I would be asking them why for sure. 

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

Sometime people just want to drive a particular car. I had the Supra valet parked at the Reading Hilton and the valet was drooling over the car so I said take it for a spin if you are insured and I'll deny any knowledge if you have an incident. I was a bit surprised that it turned out to be a 26 mile spin to the multi-story over the road but anything to help out, so long as people ask first and they are given permission I never minded others driving my cars.

That was when the Supra was only a few years old and I wouldn't do it these days with the Supra seeing replacement parts are often no longer available.

43 minutes ago, rider said:

Sometime people just want to drive a particular car. I had the Supra valet parked at the Reading Hilton and the valet was drooling over the car so I said take it for a spin if you are insured and I'll deny any knowledge if you have an incident. I was a bit surprised that it turned out to be a 26 mile spin to the multi-story over the road but anything to help out, so long as people ask first and they are given permission I never minded others driving my cars.

That was when the Supra was only a few years old and I wouldn't do it these days with the Supra seeing replacement parts are often no longer available.

😂

maxresdefault (1).jpg

image-asset.jpeg

• Haha 2

It turns out that the garage I used have lost their MOT tester and were taking it to another garage to get the actual test done. I wish i had taken the mileage before hand though because I'm fairly certain they went the long way around!

On 6/7/2021 at 3:56 PM, neilp9876 said:

It turns out that the garage I used have lost their MOT tester and were taking it to another garage to get the actual test done. I wish i had taken the mileage before hand though because I'm fairly certain they went the long way around!

Thankfully I have mine done by someone I know well and I get a slot where I can wait. I even drive it on to the ramp unless he's there's as it's full of apprentices!