The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/a auto - single turbo manual

scottyt

29 minutes ago, rider said:

Those rear bars get as bad on the inside as the outside. You might want to consider doing a Dinitrol wax spray inside that will stabilise corrosion and dries leaving a protective wax coat. It comes with a really long diffused spray pattern straw so you can get spraying in far away very inaccessible places.

Seeing all those nuts and bolts made me feel queasy. You'll probably find all the bolts come out easy without any need to WD40. The only ones I ever found issues with was where the head of the bolts had corroded badly. Then I had to resort to welding on globs of metal or in the very worst cases a left hand carbide drill. I expect you'll be surprised how easily things come apart though.

At least your tank breather pipe is intact, they can sit in fine damp soil to the left of the rubber and rust away. Yours does look a little pitted. These are discontinued so a self build replacement would be needed if it had snapped. I'd recommend sanding it down and clear coating it while you have the tank off to keep the original vent tube going for a good while longer.

Yeah will be wax spraying the inside of the bay  before it goes back on, I sprayed the inside (through the holes ) with the rust converter and a tube spray I had also.

the breather tank pipe is abit to crusty for my liking so my mates making me one as that’s his job he makes pipes/hoses so just taking him the original and he will copy it. I expect he will be doing a few for me as I strip down further 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, scottyt said:

Almost finished stripping the rear subframe I’m going to get it blasted then zinc coated but don’t know if I should go powder coating or painted due to chipping. What’s everyone’s thoughts.

I’d say powder coated personally, but no doubt others may go painting. I’ve always heard powder coating on all the restoration shows I watch. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 8:08 PM, scottyt said:

Working on the interior over the winter, giving her a tidy up in a few places to make her perfect.

filled in old holes in dash and new paint, took some time to get it right but I’m really happy with it came out looks  like new 

607D8EC6-D2D2-4C21-8B32-09B1D0DB0F3C.jpeg

DC964492-FC7C-4330-9287-4E6042DCB342.jpeg

This is some very nice work. 

Which product(s) did you use to fill the holes? I need to do this with my dash as well, and I'm struggling to find a decent product that will work.

How is the paint holding up? No clear coat?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, mwilkinson said:

How are you enjoying the GR Supra?

I didn't know you could spec tan interiors? Is that only for the manual?

I've had my GR Supra for just over 18 months now and love it.  I've just done over 20k miles too.

It’s the special edition manual tan interior with Matt paint .

yeah love it not that I’ve done many miles in it I’ve just passed the 350 mile mark 😂

spend most of my time in the van 

Wow that much!  You've got a fair few miles left of the engine run in period to go.

Mine is my daily driver, so a round trip to the office is just over 150 miles a day.

If I could offer any advice it would be to get the car PPF'd, especially if you plan on keeping it for some time. They are absolute stone magnets!

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 12:22 PM, scottyt said:

Refurbished parts are back . Hubs rebuilt and arms with new ball joints . New abs sensors also

1B886376-9266-4F70-AA25-8CF306DCBFE0.jpeg

B4AD6FAB-97CC-4462-8125-36FD2D7C64BC.jpeg

B452234D-0034-4A8D-B890-A497284199DE.jpeg

992EFD7C-44E1-4784-9B71-AB252D2CA49B.jpeg

Good job mate (although i'd have stuck with grey but im biased), who did the ball joints for you? Also i thought i read on here that the ABS sensors were discontinued, are they generic ones?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mwilkinson said:

Wow that much!  You've got a fair few miles left of the engine run in period to go.

Mine is my daily driver, so a round trip to the office is just over 150 miles a day.

If I could offer any advice it would be to get the car PPF'd, especially if you plan on keeping it for some time. They are absolute stone magnets!

I am looking at ppf but not sure how it would look with the Matt finish and if I could deal with seeing the edges of the film .

But yeah plan on keeping the car forever really 

2 minutes ago, TuneR said:

Good job mate (although i'd have stuck with grey but im biased), who did the ball joints for you? Also i thought i read on here that the ABS sensors were discontinued, are they generic ones?

Andy Ventress did them all for me I’m not sure if he’s on here but he’s on Facebook unrivalled supras . He sells the front and rear sensors for good price as well , I’m not sure what they are off but fit perfectly 

• Like 1