The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A/C condenser - DENSO 4770589 {88460-14310}

rider

These disappeared for a few months but now there are some US sites showing limited stock so anyone looking probably needs to think about moving on the opening. The retail pricing seems to have taken a major hike, listings for just under US$300. When I bought my spare condenser in 2017 it was US$68. Just a bit of your usual Supra inflation going on.

I'm hoping this lack of stock is just COVID catching up with production/shipping; I'm tempted to buy a couple just for the future but I'd rather hold out until the prices drop back down to a more reasonable amount (I have no reason to believe either of mine are bad yet). I saw RockAuto had one and it worked out to be £162 shipped to the UK, but that soon was sold. 

18 hours ago, m12aak said:

I'm hoping this lack of stock is just COVID catching up with production/shipping; I'm tempted to buy a couple just for the future but I'd rather hold out until the prices drop back down to a more reasonable amount (I have no reason to believe either of mine are bad yet). I saw RockAuto had one and it worked out to be £162 shipped to the UK, but that soon was sold. 

It all depends on what else it fits, if it is specific to the supra or not many cars that did have it are around, then I highly doubt we will see any more. Especially in todays economic climate, if they don't shift enough volume and make a reasonable profit, it will quickly get ditched to save money on production cost which for small batches will be costly per unit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyson said:

It all depends on what else it fits, if it is specific to the supra or not many cars that did have it are around, then I highly doubt we will see any more. Especially in todays economic climate, if they don't shift enough volume and make a reasonable profit, it will quickly get ditched to save money on production cost which for small batches will be costly per unit.

Yeah, true, I haven't really thought about it like that. Let's hope the "influx" of RHD Supra's to the US will keep the demand for them going! 

16 minutes ago, m12aak said:

Yeah, true, I haven't really thought about it like that. Let's hope the "influx" of RHD Supra's to the US will keep the demand for them going! 

I think the future of replacement parts will be in 3rd party providers making alternatives or reengineering existing parts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

thanks @Burna, im taking it to an AC shop to do some proper diag on it as ive only had the local garage who can only regas look and they said it might be a hole in the condenser as there are black spots on it which is supposedly what the refrigerant looks like when it comes out.

but if it is the condenser at least i can get one! thanks!

p.s i never had the issue before but when the ac is running there is a major hissing noise from the glovebox. Wasnt happening when it was empty of gas, when i had it refilled or shortly after it stopped working again. But now for some reason its crazy when the ac is on. Wondering if anyones had the evap valve do this before and it might be that?

• Like 1

If you have a behind the dash hiss then you need to get hold of a 'sniffer' and remove the glove boxes and go sniffing to see if you have a failed union or failed evaporator core. You can change the valve or evaporator in a couple of hours according to some reading on an Aussie Supra forum. You need to remove the charcoal setup engine side to access the firewall evaporator mounting bolts.

According to the Aussie blokes replacing things behind the dash is about a 2 hour job so you have a guide to work with on with any quote the a/c shop gives.

No problems @rider , its weird though because like i say the ac shop vacuum tested and filled the system, before it was regassed, or after, there was no noise at all.

Then it just stopped working, still no noise, then 3 days later whenever its turned on and you are at idle RPM you get the hissing from the glove compartment area.

Its booked into the ac shop so will report my findings soon!

• 1 month later...

Looks like Denso have no plans to restock on the Supra A/C condensers.

New stock alert message today:

1995 TOYOTA SUPRA 3.0L L6 Turbocharged
Heat & Air Conditioning : A/C Condenser
DENSO Part # 4770589

We are sorry to tell you that this part is now discontinued, and we no longer foresee having this part in stock.