The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Carwow review of TRD Supra

bonus_2000

Yep, watched it last night. 

I like it but numbers wise it wasnt done justice. If it could launch more effectively it would have cut the 0-60 and 1/4 times down drastically. 

I understand the ins an outs of reliably launching an older car, but a lot will take the results as gospel and think theyre golf r is faster!! 😂

Similar to the car wow vid the other week, mk4 vs mk5 supra's, if it had effective launch control it would have been bloody close!! 

I second that Phil.  I like the car interior but not all the added sound crap. The exhaust is way too long for my taste. Seems to ride really low and I am not sure a TRD supra is worth that figure he said, end of the day is only a body kit and the dash clock. 

Lastly the bumper and bonnet are misaligned. 

Saying all of that I like the car and wouldn't increase the power anymore. I would work on better launch control, see if wider wheels can be used, fix the bumper /bonnet misaligment and call it a day. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MrGRT said:

I second that Phil.  I like the car interior but not all the added sound crap. The exhaust is way too long for my taste. Seems to ride really low and I am not sure a TRD supra is worth that figure he said, end of the day is only a body kit and the dash clock. 

Lastly the bumper and bonnet are misaligned. 

Saying all of that I like the car and wouldn't increase the power anymore. I would work on better launch control, see if wider wheels can be used, fix the bumper /bonnet misaligment and call it a day. 

Original 3000gt TRD Supra's  will go for alot of money.. when i was looking at them years ago they were going for good money and that was before all the price hike 

Id love one over mine ..

4 minutes ago, mplavery said:

Original 3000gt TRD Supra's  will go for alot of money.. when i was looking at them years ago they were going for good money and that was before all the price hike 

Id love one over mine ..

Then you will not be able to take the roof off 😀

I understand rarity commands a price but the problem with the trd version is that is not mechanical different is it? You pay for a badge, body kit and clocks. Not worth 80% more for me than a UK tt6. 

• Like 1

Must be a combination of big turbo lag and not knowing how to launch it on boost.

TBH my (stock) car launches like a beast off the line, granted it has a twin plated clutch and I have no shame in launching at 4500 or so rpm.

Also....I don't see the fuss with the TRD bodykit anyway. I'd take a HKS DD 'normal' Supra with just a front lip, over the TRD any day. I don't like the front bumper, the front wings, the rear bumper and that damn flat blade rear spoiler which doesn't flow with anything on the car at all. I quite like the slightly wider track and sideskirts though...they can stay 😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mplavery said:

Original 3000gt TRD Supra's  will go for alot of money.. when i was looking at them years ago they were going for good money and that was before all the price hike.

Remember the nice Blue one Havard missed out on?

4 hours ago, MrGRT said:

I understand rarity commands a price but the problem with the trd version is that is not mechanical different is it? You pay for a badge, body kit and clocks. Not worth 80% more for me than a UK tt6. 

I don’t think it is. Jellybean on here has number 26 and Jurgen had one for sale not too long ago. It would be interesting to know what price he got for it.

1 hour ago, AC93 said:

Yeh it should have been quicker, my BPU TT auto did faster times! 

I think my 700hp NA-T Supra would walk it, shame about the bogging starts. 

I do like the seats tho 😁

Autos are mostly faster and a well set up BPU auto TT used to be faster than most 6 speed singles over the 1/4 mile.

5 hours ago, Frank Bullitt said:

Remember the nice Blue one Havard missed out on?

I don’t think it is. Jellybean on here has number 26 and Jurgen had one for sale not too long ago. It would be interesting to know what price he got for it.

Autos are mostly faster and a well set up BPU auto TT used to be faster than most 6 speed singles over the 1/4 mile.

I think so yea 

im sure back then they were a 25-30k car .. they got to be at least 60k value wise 

I really enjoy these kinds of reviews.

I just hate when people list off stuff people really give no sh1t about. Anything under £500 is usually pointless to put on a spec for car. Unless its something like wastegate spring value, it just makes reading/listening longer.

Do people really care it has a greddy radiator panel and a boost solenoid or a fuel pressure regulator 🙄 Think it's also devalued when owners states he's going to make it 1500hp. 

I do like the car, just a few things that let it down. Like a re limit of just over 7k when using TRD dials. Looks a bit naff. I like the sound setup, hasn't been over done.

Reviews like this are great. Much prefer them over the gassed videos which seem repetitive. 

2 hours ago, Mo Reviews said:

Mat is an undercover Supra fan. Big time.

Carwow were actually trending at 30 something when they dropped the mk4 vs mk5 video, seems alot more content is coming through with "supra" in the title, maybe they're hoping to be trending again 😂

1 hour ago, raddys said:

Carwow were actually trending at 30 something when they dropped the mk4 vs mk5 video, seems alot more content is coming through with "supra" in the title, maybe they're hoping to be trending again 😂

They’re always trending on one hashtag or another to be fair, but that’s to be expected as they are now the largest automotive channel in the world.

Hats off to Mat and the two Sams for pulling it off!

On 4/23/2021 at 5:02 PM, Rob W said:

I remember seeing a genuine facelift RSP tiptronic 3000GT TRD car on here many years ago, it was stunning.

Think it had something silly like 25-30k miles on it.

I believe this was originally the RSP car that was for sale, it was resprayed white before the current owner bought it.