The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member from Somerset

Counteract

Hi all,

Just thought I would post a thread here as I'm hoping to collect my first JZA80 soon after two years of negotiations with the current owner. Providing we come to an agreement, I'll be the owner of an NA manual, supposedly very low mileage MKIV, that's been garaged for the last fifteen years or so. You could call it a bit of a barn find I suppose.

I hope to sort the mechanical requirements and get it road worthy; it's been a long time since I've had a project and I hope to do it justice. I don't know much about the car unfortunately, the owner has told me a brief history of his ownership but I'll be able to start a build thread to detail everything, providing we can agree on a sale.

Thanks for reading.

52920393_705754663154321_264067813562384384_n.jpg

52581048_631936220590394_3548880851905282048_n.jpg

53607281_2570457496301818_4173142129196924928_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Tyson said:

Hi and welcome to the club.

It's always nice to see one being brought back to life rather than vultured for parts!

Looking forward to the restoration should you reach an agreement with the current owner.

Thanks. Originally I was considering just selling it for parts, but now that the original paperwork has been found and I know I'll be able to put it on the road, I'm keen to see what I can make of it.

1 hour ago, Noz said:

Welcome. Only down the road from you.

Hopefully won't take you long to get the car on the road.

Thanks, good to know that there are some awesome MKIVs in the SW area, where are you based? I think it might take me a while, but I need to prioritise what needs doing before I go mad like I have done before on some of my old cars!

2 hours ago, Counteract said:

Thanks, good to know that there are some awesome MKIVs in the SW area, where are you based? I think it might take me a while, but I need to prioritise what needs doing before I go mad like I have done before on some of my old cars!

Exeter. Few of us around. Few weirdos down Plymouth 👀 couple friends in Bristol or Portsmouth that I'm sure will come up at one point.

I'm a few months away (I expect) from being on the road either. Hopefully do something this year though locally.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Noz said:

Exeter. Few of us around. Few weirdos down Plymouth 👀 couple friends in Bristol or Portsmouth that I'm sure will come up at one point.

I'm a few months away (I expect) from being on the road either. Hopefully do something this year though locally.

That sounds good! I thought everyone from Plymouth was weird? Haha.

Would be good to get involved in the coming months, I just need to secure the sale!

16 hours ago, Annabella said:

Welcome. Hopefully you'll find lots of help on here! Good luck with it.

Thank you!

I hope to find out as much information as I can. I also hope to be able to give back to the community in the way of reproducing hard to source or expensive things, such as clutch pedals and suspension components. I work for an automotive fabrication firm and hope I can get to use this car as a prototype for a few items that would benefit MKIV owners.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Annabella said:

That would be fab if you can, maybe you can liase with:

Yeah I contacted Andy a while back via facebook to offer laser cutting services. He is doing some great work by the look of his ig page, really nice stuff. I may end up designing new LCAs from tube to save weight as well as making everything easily replaceable, but time will tell. I think I'd need mods approval prior to advertising anything too?

11 hours ago, Swampy442 said:

Welcome to the club :)

Thanks! I recognise that username from Driftworks :D

1 hour ago, Counteract said:

Yeah I contacted Andy a while back via facebook to offer laser cutting services. He is doing some great work by the look of his ig page, really nice stuff. I may end up designing new LCAs from tube to save weight as well as making everything easily replaceable, but time will tell. I think I'd need mods approval prior to advertising anything too?

Thanks! I recognise that username from Driftworks :D

Not been on there for a loooong time! Lol

4 hours ago, Swampy442 said:

Not been on there for a loooong time! Lol

I check it daily, but it's pretty dead now it seems. I used to love reading lengthy build threads, easier to do at work instead of watching youtube videos! I hope to be able to create a lengthy and thorough thread on this car soon.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 7:42 PM, antony lacey said:

Hi and welcome 👍

Thank you!

On 4/24/2021 at 12:29 PM, wile e coyote said:

Hi and welcome

im one of the weirdos in Cornwall 

Haha thanks!

On 4/24/2021 at 6:09 PM, Noz said:

one to avoid ^

Luckily he never attends any local meets.

The further south and west, the weirder I heard! No offence haha!

Had a message yesterday that finally after two years, the deal is secured. I just need to sell some of my M3 parts (long winded story) to fund the car, so I'll hopefully be collecting soon!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, collected the car yesterday. It took 2.5hrs just to get it out of the garage!

it’s now being temporarily stored outside until a unit becomes available around September. The pictures were taken before a cover went on it.

so from the paperwork I got with it, it’s a ‘93 and was imported in 2006, so it’s been sat 15 years.

unfortunately there were only three TE37s on it, all 16x8et30. 

I now need to work out if it’s going to be more cost effective to get a new key cut to the existing lock or find a full set of locks from a breaker.

08E3409F-919B-418F-96FC-1AA9E20F59A8.jpeg

511BCE55-B1C5-4AE1-9770-DF6407299EF2.jpeg

C55ECB30-AA37-4984-A8BD-BF665066F12A.jpeg

5C62811A-A75C-4B8B-88D5-B48648E339E9.jpeg

• Like 2