The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front arch liner, damaged holes

fastphil666

Yeah iirc there are retaining clips there that the bolt screws into, I'd ask Keron if he has any, and if not get some from Toyota, probably be a few quid if that.

If you'd like I can take a photo of how it attaches on my car tomorrow morning?

1 hour ago, m12aak said:

Yeah iirc there are retaining clips there that the bolt screws into, I'd ask Keron if he has any, and if not get some from Toyota, probably be a few quid if that.

If you'd like I can take a photo of how it attaches on my car tomorrow morning?

Yes, if you could take a photo for me, that would be greatly appreciated. The arch liner holes have been torn outwards towards the arch edge. So not a hole anymore really, more a c shaped cutout. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fastphil666 said:

Yes, if you could take a photo for me, that would be greatly appreciated. The arch liner holes have been torn outwards towards the arch edge. So not a hole anymore really, more a c shaped cutout. 

Ah okay that's a bit of a shame, I guess it must have been caught by something in the past and ripped out, I'll take some photos tomorrow. If the car is a long term keeper, I'd consider just getting new liners (while you still can!).

I suspect if you had the retainers it'd still be find even with the c-shaped holes as it'd be sandwiched between the bolt and the bumper edge, but I'll confirm this tomorrow with the photos 👍

Hi, please see the photos below, the retainer goes around the liner and it is also the thread for the bolt/screw, so just having the retainers should be fine, providing there is enough liner left for it to clamp onto. You'll have to excuse the condition of the bumper, all the years of rusty hardware haven't been kind to the paint (it's on the long list of things to sort!)

IMG_9782.thumb.jpg.ad967e1f8519aa63157f0e8d567a2011.jpgIMG_9783.thumb.jpg.429abe331f649c99e566ef744ab880dd.jpgIMG_9784.thumb.jpg.ef640bafd136e11fdabad5c2a8f7f41d.jpg

3 minutes ago, Wishieftrottle said:

It looks fine to me. Just buy new retainers and bolts to get rid of rust and you are good to go. 

The photos were for Phil to show him what it should be like, but you are right - I do need to get some new bolts!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fastphil666 said:

Is this the retaining clip we speak of? 

Screenshot_20210405-164321_Chrome.jpg

Yeah I think it is that one, can't remember the part number but go with whatever the part diag says as there's likely to be slightly different ones. I'd try Keron and see if he has some laying about used/new.

On 4/5/2021 at 5:02 PM, m12aak said:

Yeah I think it is that one, can't remember the part number but go with whatever the part diag says as there's likely to be slightly different ones. I'd try Keron and see if he has some laying about used/new.

Thanks for the help, could i have a little more?? 😁

Ive got the clips from vehicleclips.co.uk, copies but really good. I now need to buy the screws. Could you measure one up for me? I just need the length from point to washer, diameter and washer diameter.

Thanks again

No problem – the measurements are:

Point to washer – 17mm (this doesn't really matter, as long as it is long enough to go through the bumper and liner and through the retainer)
Thread diameter – 4.9mm 
Washer diameter – 15.75mm

When you do get some new screws, please update the thread and let me know where you got them from :), I'd be interested in replacing mine. 

4 hours ago, m12aak said:

No problem – the measurements are:

Point to washer – 17mm (this doesn't really matter, as long as it is long enough to go through the bumper and liner and through the retainer)
Thread diameter – 4.9mm 
Washer diameter – 15.75mm

When you do get some new screws, please update the thread and let me know where you got them from :), I'd be interested in replacing mine. 

Ive bought some from ebay, bmw fixings.

4.7mm diameter, 15mm washer diameter, 19mm long total. 

£4 for 10

Oem were £2 each, so they could stay where they were.

I found that toyota used the same screws for a lot of toyota lights, mr2, rav 4 etc...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fastphil666 said:

Ive bought some from ebay, bmw fixings.

4.7mm diameter, 15mm washer diameter, 19mm long total. 

£4 for 10

Oem were £2 each, so they could stay where they were.

I found that toyota used the same screws for a lot of toyota lights, mr2, rav 4 etc...

Great idea! Much nicer than £2 a shot. I'll get some ordered to swap out my old hardware. 

Cheers

18 hours ago, m12aak said:
13 hours ago, m12aak said:

Great idea! Much nicer than £2 a shot. I'll get some ordered to swap out my old hardware. 

Cheers

Sorry i tell a lie, i replied before checkout on ebay. When i went back in, these were suggested. So i bought them instead. Says "toyota" in the title, so they'll be miles better than bmw ones....😁

Screenshot_20210409-122113_eBay.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fastphil666 said:

Sorry i tell a lie, i replied before checkout on ebay. When i went back in, these were suggested. So i bought them instead. Says "toyota" in the title, so they'll be miles better than bmw ones....😁

Screenshot_20210409-122113_eBay.jpg

No worries, Toyota and BMW are the same thing nowadays anyway 😂. I bought some exactly like that but I ordered enough for both cars, about £15 for 60 which is a great price, hopefully they stand the test of time! 

I plan on getting new liners and retainers for my TT6 soon (while they’re still available), so I have a spare set of everything for the future. Worst case, I’ll send the old hardware away to be re zinc-plated