The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Deleting UK Spec Lamp Washer...

SUPRA4EVA

I hate the lamp washers on my UK Spec, they look stupid, they don't work and they are a nice thing for someone to kick in the night.

I also want to remove the old switch, I'd rather install a more useful switch in there...

I'm considering if I should:

1. Remove them and blank the holes, not sure what with. It would look off and the paint is cracked around the washers.

2. Remove them and fill in the holes and respray it...can always be opened up again in the future for dat UK Spec look.

3. Just get another J Spec front bumper...but they are almost impossible to find...and I'll have a whole bumper doing nothing then, which is kinda wasteful.

But the end goal is to make it look like a EU Spec I guess.

Could always colour code them. But I agree the mantis look isn't ideal.

If you know a decent body shop and I mean decent id fibre glass the back and smooth over. You can fit mesh to help strengthen the back. Any cracking could be resolve when painting. Making sure they take it back enough. If it's the plastic may need added support on the back. Really depends on what type of crack and the root cause.

it would be easy for a mid range filler to crack if they didn't do a very good job.

If you're unsure get a new bumper. Most oem ones look dog rough for the money. Id get one from grams and make it fit nice. Wouldn't sell the oem one. A little investment in making a fibreglass bumper be well worth it. 

Yeah, want them gone tbh but still keep em just in case.

I see grams is doing all the OEM bumpers and skirts now just wary of the quality/fitment of 3rd party 'OEM fit' stuff.

I did have a spare bumper a while ago but it needed so much work to rectify it that I sold it thinking I'd get a better one...still looking.

21 hours ago, Swampy442 said:

Personally, if it was me, Id get another bumper, stash yours away so when you sell the car, it can be offered to the new owner. Originality is very much desired on UK spec's 

Yeah this would be the desired option not that any of them are perfect, finding parts for this car is just a pita. The only reason I'd consider filling and respraying is my bumper could do with a respray anyway, the holes could always be opened up later and it would still be as it was. Meh, I'll see.

21 hours ago, Swampy442 said:

Personally, if it was me, Id get another bumper, stash yours away so when you sell the car, it can be offered to the new owner. Originality is very much desired on UK spec's 

Agree with this, if you think finding a J-Spec bumper is hard, finding a second hand UK one just doesn't happen. Most cars that go through the breakers have front end damage so the bumper is scrap, I agree with @Noz that you would be better placed finding a fibreglass one and putting the original into storage.

However this is skirting round the main issue which is why you would want to get rid of them in the first place? Heresy!! 😁

28 minutes ago, Tyson said:

Agree with this, if you think finding a J-Spec bumper is hard, finding a second hand UK one just doesn't happen. Most cars that go through the breakers have front end damage so the bumper is scrap, I agree with @Noz that you would be better placed finding a fibreglass one and putting the original into storage.

However this is skirting round the main issue which is why you would want to get rid of them in the first place? Heresy!! 😁

Well it's better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them! i.e. being knocked off.

Nah, my goal is to swap out the washers for folding mirrors, something a little more useful...lets just say it's a secret option we never got on the UK specs! I guess they weren't aware of how tiny garages are here.

Anyone know why they were even put on this spec?

21 minutes ago, SUPRA4EVA said:

Well it's better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them! i.e. being knocked off.

Nah, my goal is to swap out the washers for folding mirrors, something a little more useful...lets just say it's a secret option we never got on the UK specs! I guess they weren't aware of how tiny garages are here.

Anyone know why they were even put on this spec?

My previous garage wasn't a problem with the door being 2 metres wide but I now no longer have that luxury so I get what you mean, once I'm through the door I have loads of room either side! I don't know when folding mirrors came in but I can only guess that it was only an option on facelift cars?

10 minutes ago, Tyson said:

My previous garage wasn't a problem with the door being 2 metres wide but I now no longer have that luxury so I get what you mean, once I'm through the door I have loads of room either side! I don't know when folding mirrors came in but I can only guess that it was only an option on facelift cars?

Yeah some are more fortunate when it comes to garages and doors lol

Folding mirrors were first offered in 1994 on J-Specs and it gets muddy weather they were offered else where and if heaters were also included with them. It seems you could get folding and heated mirrors but it's super rare. I'm just gonna combine the two. It really is a shame this wasn't an option on such a luxury model but washers were...smh

49 minutes ago, Hissig said:

Dude just get rid of that crap. Noone wants them. Get your body shop to fill the gap and respray the bumper. 

I'm quite happy with mine, so I wouldn't say no one wants them 🙂 And when the time comes to let someone else enjoy the car, it will help the resale value 😉