The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Red UK-spec Supra

erachter

Wanted to create a thread for a long time related to my Supra to have a history of what was done to the car.

Got the car in July 2020, sold my NA5 few days before and wanted to upgrade to one with a turbo 😀

I will be detailing everything I did with the car over these posts, including a few roadtrips across Europe.

This initial post will be related to what the car is now and how it looks.

1993 UK-spec Toyota Supra (I believe this is from the first batch that were brought to UK)

Exterior and chassis:
113k miles
Full repaint in October 2020 in Reneissance Red 2.0 (color from the new Supra) looks absolutely amazing. Was a full windows-out respray.
Fully stock exterior-wise.
Headlight washers were deleted but the bumper is original.
Underbody was stripped and treated/restored by Darren at Magnum Performance, absolutely amazing job, car looks better then it came from the factory lol.
Headlights inserts painted black.

Suspension:
Fully restored stock OEM UK-spec suspension
£3k worth of new OEM parts, bushes, wheel bearings, etc.. single thing that is not OEM is ARB bushes(strongflex)
BC ER coilovers
OEM calipers refurbished by Bigg Red in a red color
Chris Wilson pads, OEM discs

Interior:
Completely stock, besides the radio and Toucan display
Cruise control still works lol
Leather was professionaly retrimmed @Oct 2020 in the original cream color, we've hand picked the leather to match the exact structure and color of how it was from the factory and the result is amazing
Dash panels refinished in the original soft touch paint
New OEM handbrake lever
New OEM auto shifter

Engine and performance mods:
Forged engine at 102k miles, currently running 600bhp @1.2bar of boost
CP Pistons 9:1 comp ratio
Forged rods
Arp hardware everywhere
264 cams
ID 1050x injectors
Bosch 044 fuel pump
Whifbitz exhaust manifold with 2 x 38mm turbosmart wastegates
BW S362 SXE 0.91 AR turbo @1.2bar
Greedy intercooler
Whifbitz single box 3 inch exhaust with blue tip
Syvecs S6 + Toucan Display
etc.

Drivetrain:
Big diff - B04D (eu-spec auto diff 3.538 ratio)
Rebuilt A343 @113k miles auto gearbox with upgraded valve body(shifts very quick and smooth) and Raybestos clutch packs with a lot of other goodies
I am using the car as a daily and I really like the Auto gearbox, its one of the best autos that I've driven.

PXL_20210326_105850410.jpg

PXL_20210326_105910824.jpg

PXL_20210326_105854736.jpg

PXL_20201026_064459644.jpg

PXL_20210325_155158047.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wishieftrottle said:

Very clean indeed! Could you provide any info about BBS´s setup? Also pcs from below of the car would nice 🤩

These are actually XXR 521 with BBS stickers 😀 Have 0 issues with them, had a few pairs of JR wheels previously and all were crap, they were wobbling at high speeds. These have been through quite some tough terrain, no cracks or any issues whatsoever.
Fronts: 8.5J ET35 - 235/40/18 (Chinese tyres but they work great, next time will put some branded ones)
Rear: 10.5j ET20 - 265/35/18 (Goodyear Eagle F1)
Arches have been slightly rolled, I am thinking of going for 275 next time since I have 0 rubbing with 265.

Pics from underneath:

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-03 at 15.06.04.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-16 at 15.24.45.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-16 at 15.24.13.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-16 at 15.23.38.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-16 at 15.22.56.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-16 at 15.21.46 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-16 at 15.21.46.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-03 at 15.06.04 (1).jpeg

22 hours ago, blythmrk said:

Looking good buddy👍 I remember this car being for sale did it change hands twice in a year if I remember correctly?

I know the previous owner owned it for a couple of years so maybe before that. I think all of the last 3 owners(including me) were club members

Mad respect man the undercarriage and underbody is always a task regardless of condition, car specific.  The exterior looks great and tan seats are something that not all Supras look good in.  This same task I fortunately haven´t had to tackle being that my car is from a dry country, but every single parts, bolt underneath has been removed, replaced, powder coated and or zinc plated.  Keep the Supra forever.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Part 1 - Buying the car

I have found the car on ebay, it was an auction listing and I contacted the buyer and convinced him to sell me the car before the auction ends 😀

It was owned by a previous club member near Glasgow and had a big stack of previous service history, has a lot of stamps in the history book and was serviced by Toyota until 2002 when it had about 90k miles. It sat for a long time until 2012 (97k miles) and then was not used much until I bought it (had 106k miles when bought). It now has 114k miles and its not been a year since I bought it and I am happy to say that the car is enjoyed as it should be and that its not a garage queen.

When I bought it the car had various issues, and a lot of stuff was worn:
- Car was misfiring at high rpms, it had a bad tune(on Syvecs S6) and probably spark and coils were just too old, these all got replaced
- Rear tires were worn, because of the camber it was running had inside wear
- Car was too low and too cambered
- Had hardrace rear arms which were terrible and completely rusted, it was not possible to adjust them, the original 1993 OEM ones in the front were in very good condition btw, so OEM Toyota really means quality
- Needed an alignment badly, but it was not possible to do one because of the rusted rear arms and bolts
- Something strange was happening with the paint, clear coat was kinda washing off
- Seats were worn due to age
- A lot of dodgy wiring and fittings, for example later I found out that the fuel pump was wired with a household connector with no fuse or relay
- Fuel lines were rusted

Of course, as any smart man I decided to buy the car and drive it back 500 miles to the other side of the UK. It drove flawlessly and had no issues down the road.

IMG_20200708_161343.jpg

IMG_20200708_162148.jpg

This looks amazing! 

I have a similarly aging UK spec, so I have some questions:

The stock UK suspension: where/when did you get it? I was under the impression they're unobtainable now! 

The underneath work: where did you get it done? Did they have any findings? I'm told (literally today) that I've got some surface rust to deal with, so I'm interested in just how much was involved

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 3:31 PM, Keith C said:

This looks amazing! 

I have a similarly aging UK spec, so I have some questions:

The stock UK suspension: where/when did you get it? I was under the impression they're unobtainable now! 

The underneath work: where did you get it done? Did they have any findings? I'm told (literally today) that I've got some surface rust to deal with, so I'm interested in just how much was involved

Thanks! Its the same as all the other Supra models, besides the anti roll bar(its thicker). I did the work at Darren @ Magnum Performance in Enfield and he did an amazing job. you can either reuse and update the bushings or completely replace the arms.

On 5/1/2021 at 7:27 PM, Hammer said:

That's a lovely clean Supra mate, the interior looks incredible.  Well done on all the work. 

Thanks a lot!

4 hours ago, Keith C said:

Ah, so you already had the stock suspension? 

I'm trying to find some to refit, without success...

I had just the front suspension, I've ordered all the rear arms(traction rod, upper arms, lower arms, arb links and tension rod) from Japan.

4 hours ago, rider said:

Since i spent over 100 of my own hours on my Supra underside beautification i find i wince at every puddle or dollop of horse stuff in the road. it's quite debilitating. 

I use the car daily and I am having a different mindset, something like "Nothing else can break 😀". And its quite pleasing to go through a number of potholes or road imperfections and to hear nothing from the suspension 😀

• 4 months later...
On 9/13/2021 at 2:40 PM, SupraTRD_MK4 said:

Very lovely car that mate. Congrats to you on redoing the under carriage. Any updates on this?

Thanks! Lots of stuff happened, one big update is that the auto trans decided to fail on me, fortunately I was not too far from the place where it was going to get rebuilt.

The failure point was the torque converter, the actual transmission and its gears were in perfect condition, clutch packs were a bit black and worn, but still had plenty of life in them. Anyway since it was all disassembled I decided to upgrade it, so got Raybestos clutch packs and various other upgrades, valve body was already modified. 

Torque converter was rebuilt and strengthened too.

6F3FB0D9-8596-4104-B91F-56A773B00161.jpeg

10C48BDC-3D05-4746-8AB7-5B7DAB5735A8.jpeg

4E267805-FBF7-4D62-8A13-E29A1B7BB5E8.jpeg

Edited by erachter
grammar (see edit history)

Glad you were on top of that one. Very nice to see mods being done to an auto trans. You have a link for me as to where you got those clutch packs from mate? Nobody in my country believes in an auto supra. You either gay or a woman trapped in a man's body if you drive an auto. None the less we have some serious contenders at the drag strip, some 2jz with auto TH400 boxes. One being a supra that last ran a low 9s with nos and high boost.

For now, I want to keep mine auto as it rolled off the factory floor but its no where near to being complete.

On 9/15/2021 at 8:37 AM, SupraTRD_MK4 said:

Glad you were on top of that one. Very nice to see mods being done to an auto trans. You have a link for me as to where you got those clutch packs from mate? Nobody in my country believes in an auto supra. You either gay or a woman trapped in a man's body if you drive an auto. None the less we have some serious contenders at the drag strip, some 2jz with auto TH400 boxes. One being a supra that last ran a low 9s with nos and high boost.

For now, I want to keep mine auto as it rolled off the factory floor but its no where near to being complete.

The shop who rebuilt it sourced the clutch packs and all the other bits.

On 9/16/2021 at 11:11 PM, AmitS said:

Very nice work! Who built the box for you? 

It was a shop outside of UK, not sure if it would be helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 8:47 PM, Swampy442 said:

Well you managed to get your box rebuilt there, share the name and location 🙂

It was the go to shop in Chisinau, Republic of Moldova, my home country. The guy who rebuilt has 20+ years of working experience on auto boxes and learned his craft in St Petersburg, Russia. If you want the address let me know.

• Like 1