The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-T catch can

rg500

9 hours ago, AC93 said:

From the 2 breathers at the back of the cam covers 

IMG_20200830_153327.jpg

I dont see how that catch can is effective with out a breather as at some point you will just cause back pressure under the valve covers.

Really if you want to divert both valve covers to a catch can and block off the inlets on the manifolds the catch can needs a breather but you then have the issues of a bad smell venting into atmosphere.

You can have 2 catch cans one for each valve cover and no breather and redirect back into the manifolds. Will be cleaner and not cause any back pressure.

Imo you only need a catch can on the exhaust valve cover as thats where most of the hard deposits come from. Then intake with pcv is mostly air and yes some oil to.

Edited by evinX (see edit history)

Supras don't really need a catch can from what I know. Many fit them. Me included. But I ran one for much time without one.

Even with one. It doesn't seem to fill up at all.

Definitely worth adding a breather. You can buy cheap tiny filter. Just tap am NPT thread in the side and fit a barb to NPT fitting and it's a job well done.

I've got a Whifbitz one coming off my car that just runs to the barbed fitting on the exhaust cam cover. It's used, so a bit tatty but still works fine.

[url]https://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/garage-whifbitz-392.html[/url]

I've gone TT cam covers and AN-10 fittings now so I just bought another can off eBay that has a breather filter at the top and a drain plug at the bottom for easy emptying.

13 hours ago, Noz said:

Supras don't really need a catch can from what I know. Many fit them. Me included. But I ran one for much time without one.

Even with one. It doesn't seem to fill up at all.

Definitely worth adding a breather. You can buy cheap tiny filter. Just tap am NPT thread in the side and fit a barb to NPT fitting and it's a job well done.

I agree, I don't have one. Valve covers vent all the way to the back of the car past the rear wheels, and a small breather filter on the idle control vale.