The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New owner single turbo VVTI 6 speed :)

AmitS

Hi Guys

Lusted over these cars since I was a kid and over the moon to be able to own one 😊. I’ve been looking for a little while and I was fortunate enough for a very kind soul to point me in the direction of this.

It needs some love but it’s a solid and straight 97 facelift VVTI with an original V160 box. It’s at SRD now for a long list of niggly service and repair jobs but most importantly engine compression is spot on!

I am going to bring this close to my dream spec over the next few months and years as funds allow but a couple issues need sorting more urgently. On this visit it’s getting the HKS F con swapped out for the Link G4X and most of the fuel system is being changed. The turbo kit is old and not great but I will keep it for now before changing to a SRD/Precision kit. The brakes definitely need upgrading from J spec and I am torn between getting some new K sports all round or grabbing a used Greddy set that’s for sale.

Bodykit is not to my taste but I’m going to get it mechanically sorted before starting to source original bumpers and side skirts. On a positive note, the interior has had some money spent on it in the past and is a really nice place to be.

Will update this thread with pictures and videos as and when there is some progress. I have also just started an Instagram account for this and a couple other interesting cars if you care to follow.

9dd87af0-48cd-4cf8-aed9-67e1cd4bcd36.JPG

ce4b4f3b-8917-4149-8d80-3ed56a24a4bf.JPG

4e38345f-c214-457c-90bc-eeb0ecf5fa05.JPG

d0fd8c90-1f86-427b-ab36-ece9100795bc.JPG

a792c056-0919-49bc-a127-f02b6743e6ab.JPG

046c3ab2-1d4f-4bca-8245-9bb62db381e0.JPG

4ad41551-6ec3-4897-a210-ef1568a363b5.JPG

23ff44fe-d78e-44bf-91de-7839414816f0.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JamieP said:

Hello mate 

Hi Jamie 😇

Couldn’t help myself and grabbed these for the old girl. A lot more than I had planned to spend but I was having wet dreams over them night after night. They are mint and near new though 😬

01390A99-67A6-4045-B2A4-5C4CA1EF9640.jpeg

71335E61-779E-493C-96EC-8B5A4BC29B13.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Picked the car up last week and been over the moon ever since! Still needs some work, coilovers, wheels, bodykit etc but this can all be done over time. The bumpers have grown on me a little more......

In the end decided to do everything once and properly mechanically. So we now have a SRD Turbo kit with a precision 6870, new fuel system and a Link G4 controlling it all. On top of this there was a VERY long list of niggly maintenance and repair work which has been done as the car was sitting around for 10+ years.

Made 620whp, will try to upload some videos if possible.

PHOTO-2021-03-12-16-31-01.jpg

PHOTO-2021-03-12-18-46-52.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

Feels nice and strong but traction is a problem, been having too much fun! Will try new r888s first before shelling out on 18's.

Big thank you to Lee and the guys at SRD, Mike explained it all thoroughly and made a personalised instruction manual, very cool!  

04-21 4.jpg

04-21 5.jpg

04-21 6.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sorry beyond me 😬 all work was done at SRD….

Picked up some wheels on eBay a while back now, only Rotas but I think it looks better and there will be something a bit more special replacing them soon 🥰

1CE9DF07-AF17-491E-8860-FC132EEE163D.jpeg

06571D4F-DC2D-4D40-A1B7-35D7597C2631.jpeg

• Like 3

R888s are the answer I had the same issue at 600 

Car looks lovely mate 

Edit. @Mike2JZ I know the 6870 tops out with boost, I thought the max was 1.5 bar for some reason. Says 1.8 bar on the dyno. Did I remember wrong, or is without e85 make it a different situation, please.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

Those rota's are a massive improvement imo, looks great now. 

@NozThe turbo itsef can be run at much higher boost than 1.5bar. Had a few cars running 2.5 or more now. However depending on how high you rev the engine, eventually the turbo will run out of puff and lose efficiency, so whilst you could for instance make 2.5 bar at 4500rpm, by 8500rpm the boost will drop down to say 2.0 bar.

With pump fuel typically won't go much higher than 1.8 bar as you will experience det, so the really big boost stuff is reserved for ethanol where you can get away with it. 

23 minutes ago, Mike2JZ said:

Those rota's are a massive improvement imo, looks great now. 

@NozThe turbo itsef can be run at much higher boost than 1.5bar. Had a few cars running 2.5 or more now. However depending on how high you rev the engine, eventually the turbo will run out of puff and lose efficiency, so whilst you could for instance make 2.5 bar at 4500rpm, by 8500rpm the boost will drop down to say 2.0 bar.

With pump fuel typically won't go much higher than 1.8 bar as you will experience det, so the really big boost stuff is reserved for ethanol where you can get away with it. 

2.5. I knew there was a 5 there somewhere!

So pump gas high map would be 1.8, get you.

So for an e85 high boost. Could you not use a 2.5 bar setting even though you know it'll reduce efficiency. Or is that perhaps what you do already. Because it's a consistent reduction in flow capability at higher rpm?

The send it maps in e85 will normally target 2.5bar or so, even though we expect it to drop by redline. It will still make more power and torque this way compared to just targetting 2.0bar which would be more in the efficiency of the turbo. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gone for stock bumpers and skirts with a trd style splitter! Always liked the look but not sure if it’s too tame and copying the many other Supra’s out there. 

Have some wheels coming over from the states so let’s see when they’re fitted, otherwise maybe ridox style splitter…..?

I have a bit of flex at high speed on the front end, splitter and bumper. Is there an off the shelf solution or shall I just get some brackets made up? 

94DF332D-6D79-4441-A403-B20E8E1C29FD.jpeg

BA543F30-81B5-482C-9C30-5E9D0E92B1E1.jpeg

• Like 3

Looking great! Have you got the OEM undertrays at the front? If not, that'll probably be reason for the flex as the bumper mounts to it in many places at the bottom too. Having the undertrays should fix both the bumper and the splitter flex (although I'd imagine the splitter would still flex a tad). 

9 hours ago, Mike2JZ said:

Full set of wheel arches and bumper undertrays, bumper foams etc will all help keep the front rigid. Flaps in the wind otherwise and will deform over time. Digging the new look

Make it happen and fit me in Mike 🤗