The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Audi A3 8p battery issue

Noz

Curious to this so wondered what others thought.

Yesterday my battery light came on. Checked the voltage while off, 12.6v. Hmm. No dead battery. Checked it while running. 13v+. So alternators working. I drove upto my unit to grab my battery charger and the light went off. Though came on again once I had stopped and the engine was still running.

Nothing had been left on. So I got the pulse charger out for an evening of repair and charging work and came to the battery this morning to a non running voltage of 12.9v.

Light still came on after starting the car telling me it needs to charge while driving. Not wanting the expenditure without a long drive. I've come up the motorway 20 miles and it's still on. Didn't turn off while driving this time.

Having a meter with me. Checked the voltage. 12.9v. 13v+ still whole charging.

I've not had a battery begin to die on me that still charges. Thinking I'll look around and buy a new battery but thought these values were odd. Unsure of how it quantifies a good battery aside from the voltage. 

Your charging voltage is a bit on the low side, it should be pushing up to 14V. It reads to me like you have a tired battery. Lots of chargers have a recondition setting these days that blast it with high current to clean the plates. You could try that, otherwise its just warning you that its fast approaching the time when you will need to replace the battery.

Yea tried the blasting with my repair charger. Sadly no luck.

Friend told me you can get a drop tester which would be handy to have.

Think it's best to swap it out though. You're right.

First experience of an issue before total death with a battery, or charge issues.