The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New e10 fuel September

rg500

Lots of noise around the E10 fuel at the moment.

Some say caution needs to be taken, ACEA have even produced a document that lists suitable, and not suitable vehicles.

Then... There are others who say it is a non issue. After all the USA have been using E10 since 2012 on all vehicles and they are having no problems.

Have a read here https://www.introducinge10petrol.co.uk/introducing-e10-petrol

Cheers,

Guy

• 3 months later...

Just bumping this as I saw an advert about this today. I doubt it will make a difference to us, as super unleaded becomes more popular we might even see a price drop on it. For other cars, it will be the same situation when leaded fuel was banned, cars will just be converted to run on E10. Someone, somewhere will find a way to make it work.

On 2/26/2021 at 10:49 AM, oilman said:

Interesting, what issues have been reported?

There have been reports and videos on in particular USA classic cars that use steel tanks, brake and fuel lines having corrosion issues with E10 fuels. Its also reported that you should 'expect' phase separation if the fuel is stored (in a tank) for more than 100 days with a water/ethanol phase sitting at the bottom of carb float champers or fuel tanks. So unless your car is used regularly and tank filled regularly E10 has issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKrdOMTaaTQ

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Its enough to make you want to cry. It looks like E10 fuel stabalis(z)ers might be the answer for cars that get placed on SORN over winter months, the other recommendation with E10 is either to drain or completely fill your fuel tank if the vehicle is to be stored for any period. Also to drain the fuel bowls in carburettors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvS_D4_lF5U

Interesting 

Land Rover: E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Land Rover vehicles with petrol engines starting from model year 1996.

My Range has basically a P38 4.6 Gems engine in it which was in the P38 in 1994 and continued to I think 1999 when it got the Thor unit so does that make my engine ok to use E10 in ? 

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Dnk said:

Interesting 

Land Rover: E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Land Rover vehicles with petrol engines starting from model year 1996.

My Range has basically a P38 4.6 Gems engine it which was in the P38 in 1994 and continued to i think 1999 when it got the Thor unit so does that make my engine ok to use E10 in ? 

From the sounds of it your engine will likely be fine then as it probably was only a change in materials used in the fuel system between 1995-96 as the engine ran to 1999, but it also depends how different a 1996+ P38's fuel delivery system is from your Classic in terms of materials. I must confess that I haven't read through your build thread, so apologies if the system is different from stock and is not a concern!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, m12aak said:

From the sounds of it your engine will likely be fine then as it probably was only a change in materials used in the fuel system between 1995-96 as the engine ran to 1999, but it also depends how different a 1996+ P38's fuel delivery system is from your Classic in terms of materials. I must confess that I haven't read through your build thread, so apologies if the system is different from stock and is not a concern!

I think I will contact the local restoration shop and the engine builder, if there's any doubt 

I'll be swapping to Super 

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yeah as Burna has said, I don't think us Supra owners need to worry as we should be running V-Power/Momentum anyway and that will remain unchanged. E10 sounds like more hassle than it's worth for cars older than 2012 (I think it was they said). 

1 hour ago, Style said:

Yeah as Burna has said, I don't think us Supra owners need to worry as we should be running V-Power/Momentum anyway and that will remain unchanged. E10 sounds like more hassle than it's worth for cars older than 2012 (I think it was they said). 

Japanese Premium fuel was 95RON back in the 90's (96 today) with regular 89RON. All Japanese car engines were designed in the 90's to run on 89 or 95 RON, the higher grade in Europe equivalency is standard grade petrol. Japan has never had the 98 UK Premium or 100 old 5 Star RON fuels in its domestic market. 

3 hours ago, Style said:

Only for 4 more years though, until super unleaded also becomes E10.

• Sad 1

On 6/25/2021 at 12:19 PM, rider said:

There have been reports and videos on in particular USA classic cars that use steel tanks, brake and fuel lines having corrosion issues with E10 fuels. Its also reported that you should 'expect' phase separation if the fuel is stored (in a tank) for more than 100 days with a water/ethanol phase sitting at the bottom of carb float champers or fuel tanks. So unless your car is used regularly and tank filled regularly E10 has issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKrdOMTaaTQ

Sounds like the next wave of innovation for those with the know how. There are going to be thousands of classic car owners needing a cost effective solution, whether that's fuel additives or replacement parts.

2 hours ago, rider said:

Japanese Premium fuel was 95RON back in the 90's (96 today) with regular 89RON. All Japanese car engines were designed in the 90's to run on 89 or 95 RON, the higher grade in Europe equivalency is standard grade petrol. Japan has never had the 98 UK Premium or 100 old 5 Star RON fuels in its domestic market. 

Yes, but most owners are BPU, so I wouldn't advise using anything but premium. 

1 hour ago, Tyson said:

Sounds like the next wave of innovation for those with the know how. There are going to be thousands of classic car owners needing a cost effective solution, whether that's fuel additives or replacement parts.

There will be more availability on additives you put in the tank  containing corrosion inhibitor phosphates and ethanol stabilizers which will likely be alkanes or higher carbon alcohols. Phase separation and steel corrosion will be easy to address, aluminium and brass corrosion and rubber degradation somewhat harder. It's easy to run the fuel out on carburettor cars, so owners should just run the carbs dry before parking up and have a full tank of fuel with some ethanol fuel stabiliser additive to minimise tank breathing.

With hoses we may well see similar to flexible A/C lines the wider introduction of plastic inner lined rubber tubing. Its not like the technologies aren't there, it'll just need sufficient market demand to make it happen. Or Andy Ven.

What would be a great compromise is if anything pre 2000 could still get 95 from the pumps with a dyed fuel, so the same principles as red diesel for farmers. Police would love that as I am sure it would be a fruitful revenue stream for them. However it will never happen.