The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Zachs' SRD1000S

Noz

Is Zach on the forum? Car's lovely. Just would like to see a full dyno graph. As the one displayed, doesn't show the RPM axis markers. Engine bay looks incredible. So nice.

https://www.srdtuning.com/zachs-srd1000s-supra/

Curious as this setup uses the HKS 264 cams. Whereas most people in the UK or Europe on the 6870 have been using 272's.

image.pngimage.png.3cf64f9498f69ab264f63a27b0b436e9.png

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

53 minutes ago, Noz said:

I've been studying the 6870 loads as I have one on the shelf.

No ones got spool like that man.

Maybe he's got a QSV too?

No quick spool valve. Just VVTi and fully built engine. 

Here's a decent indicator of what you can expect in terms of 6870 on different types of 2JZ. 

1786041715_6870Comparison.thumb.png.da56d250b6fa6556c0f6239d335a0237.png

All runs done on TT6 cars in 5th gear (1:1). All have similar SRD engine builds, and all running ~2.0 Bar boost on e85. 

Red = Zach's 3.0 VVTI
Blue = Dom 3.4 VVTi
Green = Non VVTi 3.0

Peak power is comparable but response is vastly different. VVTi increases response like a stroker would to a non vvti setup. VVTi + Stroker = you win the game.

Edited by Mike2JZ (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Epic comparison Mike. Thank you so much for putting these up.

I notice Zach has 264 cams. Is he running a higher compression ratio? Notice his head is stage 4 and not the stage 5, of course those finer details im not sure.

I've actually not seen anything better than Doms and it's incredible to see the overlay. Really appreciate you putting that together.

Do you think Doms boosting to 2.5 bar mid section plays a big part, not sure how you'd map that in. Knowing the turbo doesn't like much more than the 2 bar usually.

Wonder what a 3.4 vvti with qsv would do. I've seen a few YouTube runs with a qsv but they still seem tired compared to these shown.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

42 minutes ago, Noz said:

Epic comparison Mike. Thank you so much for putting these up.

I notice Zach has 264 cams. Is he running a higher compression ratio? Notice his head is stage 4 and not the stage 5, of course those finer details im not sure.

I've actually not seen anything better than Doms and it's incredible to see the overlay. Really appreciate you putting that together.

Do you think Doms boosting to 2.5 bar mid section plays a big part, not sure how you'd map that in. Knowing the turbo doesn't like much more than the 2 bar usually.

Wonder what a 3.4 vvti with qsv would do. I've seen a few YouTube runs with a qsv but they still seem tired compared to these shown.

Think you are overthinking this a bit. The biggest impact on power output on these sorts of builds is turbo compressor airflow output. The more air & fuel you can squeeze in the engine the more power you will make. Simple stuff. Most of these builds have very unrestricted and efficient motors setups, so the main deciding factor on power will be how aggressive you want to run the turbo & if you have enough fuel and mechanical strength to keep everything together. Typically we never run the turbo absolutely flat out, and scale it to an area we deem safe, which is why you will get some difference in power between builds, but ultimately they are all very similar as we are working within what the same turbo can deliver. 

Doms graph there is at 2.0bar not 2.5. His 2.5 graph goes to 1000whp with similar torque. Its very aggressive like that, almost undriveable. You can control the turbo's power delivery to some extent using boost & traction control strategies if required. 

QSV have reliability issues, so not a common mod that SRD uses. It might make some difference but on something like dom's car its a bit of redundant mod. As it is currently if you even breathe on the pedal you are on full boost immediately, so in the real world QSV probably wont achieve much. Makes sense to use on a non vvti 2JZ that has some laggy ass turbo on it that needs all the help it can get to improve boost threshold. 

Edited by Mike2JZ (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Aren't QSV's only useable on single scroll manifolds anyway? If you've got a twin scroll setup (which most SRD cars will have if they're running their manifolds), you can't run a QSV as the valve opens and closes between the turbo and manifold...I think?

Yeah it have to be an open manifold.

I guess the desire for torque and battle of drivability is real. I think I'd be happy with Zach's curve for sure. 

It also makes sense the power delivery is a balance of how aggressive people want it. I've never thought about that being a factor. 

Mike I guess I am over thinking it, as I'll only get one chance to do this setup and having taking so many steps to get here, I don't want to make any decisions that might end up with me wasting more money.

If I'd considered this years ago and not settled for less and just waited, live and learn I guess.

Zach's and my Supra are very similar in power and tq (difference of a couple of rwhp an ftlbs).

It is perfect wrt spool and power. 

On the street, it is useable ... but crazy fast.

I wouldn't change anything tbh.

E.g. : the new Ferrari SF90 does 100-200 kph in 4.5 secs .... our Supra's with 6870 turbo (Phil, Zach, Mike, Dom, me) do low 4's.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Luxluc said:

Maybe in a couple of years mate.

SRD just rebuilt my 3.0🙈

What's the rough miles between rebuilds. Its sensible having a tear down at that kind of power to see how it's all going for sure.

If you were indeed a 3.4. Do you think that mileage would decrease at all.

Doesnt seem to be spoken about much the.

I guess the drag guys do 30 runs then have a tear down but I've not seen it anywhere else mentioned.

9 minutes ago, Noz said:

What's the rough miles between rebuilds. Its sensible having a tear down at that kind of power to see how it's all going for sure.

If you were indeed a 3.4. Do you think that mileage would decrease at all.

Doesnt seem to be spoken about much the.

I guess the drag guys do 30 runs then have a tear down but I've not seen it anywhere else mentioned.

Luc drove his last 1000bhp 3.0L non VVTi setup hard for around 30K miles before it’s most recent rebuild update to VVTi and it had held up to it really well I believe. I’m sure Luc or SRD can elaborate more though.....

Yeah Phil

I ran 850 - 1000 bhp between 2012 and 2018 - around 40k km.

I did my last race of the season in September 2018, and headed straight to SRD 2 weeks later.

We did a dyno run 1 hour after I arrived at SRD. Lee detected some engine noice through the Syvecs sensors.

On cylinders 5 and 6, piston rings were stuck and had left scratches on the cylinder wall.

So we decided to go from 86.5 to 87mm and put new pistons (9:1 CR) in with everything needed (Carillo HD rods).

I knew the block wouldn't last forever ... especially with my 1/2 mile races.

• Like 1

Did you have a higher compression ratio than that then mate?

9 seems to be the way to go rather than 10. Even seen a few videos of Jay on real street saying long term 9 is better.

Have you has a rebuild since then as you mention just had it done again mate.

Cool man. I love these chats. You've got so much go offer I learn so much.

How do you find the upped compression ratio. 6 years is quite a while. I wasn't expecting that long.

I guess it's one thing I do wonder about. If I chose a 3.4. How often would I be testing it open.

Even though the comp was only raised by .5, the engine is more responsive off boost.

It feels much better on the road. I didn't want to go higher than 9:1, even though I run E85 all the time.

I would go 9:1 if you decide to go the built route.

No real need to open the engine if you don't have to. Lee found on the dyno that the Syvecs detected engine noise .... so that was the reason SRD opened the block. I hadn't felt anything strange on the road.