The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New daily needed

formatzero

Been looking for a new daily for a while now and finding difficult to pick one.Needs four seats for taking the grandchildren around.Considerations have been Audi A5 ,A6, S3, BMW 4 series,however reliability issues seem to crop up with nearly all these and as i live in a rural location reliability is high on the list,am i better sticking with something Jap,any comments or alternitive suggestions welcome.As i do a lot of stop start and short runs would need to be petrol or maybe hybrid,cheers

16 minutes ago, erachter said:

Aristo 😀

This.. incidentally, mine is for sale!

Loadsss of space inside, heated electric leathers, sunroof, big boot, comfy and quiet round town as a modern E class and 2JZ twin turbo poke when you need it! Proper sleeper on the roads, I love it. 

My Octavia vRS (62 plate) has been super reliable for the last 6 month's I've had it, as is my A4 (57 plate, put over 35k miles on it). Next I'd probably look at the newly released Superb estate or A6 estate if budget allows it. Had a few beemers now and just find the interiors boring compared to VAG cars. 

You can't go wrong with Jap for reliability but you'll always find some lemons of any car! 

Audi S4 Avant. If you live rural I’d stay clear of a bmw especially if it’s going to be a daily. Winter time for sure something awd and fun too to keep the boredom at bay. Supercharged S4. That’s what I’m in now and in all honestly it’s the best car I’ve had to date. 

I've owned BMW and Audi's and had issues with them all, some pretty expensive. One was a £7k cam belt fail on a V6 Audi 26 months after an Audi garage service. The last daily I bought is a Merc C class. The 220cdi AMG is fast enough with its 170bhp and still returns around 60mpg on a run and 55mpg average. Low road tax too, just over £100 a year and for me its really cheap to insure. The Merc is much more solid than the BMW or Audi cars I have owned, it has a quality durable feel the BMW and Audi just can't match. 

The Merc is now 8 years old and hasn't a spec of rust anywhere, sails through its MOT like no other car I've owned. I know its going to sail through as I do a on ramp pre-MOT inspection on the car and even at 101,000 miles it looks and drives like new. The underside is all protected with full length plastic shields so when they come off to check oil levels etc its so clean. 

I wouldn't buy a BMW or Audi again, I would though definitely consider another Merc.

1 hour ago, rider said:

I've owned BMW and Audi's and had issues with them all, some pretty expensive. One was a £7k cam belt fail on a V6 Audi 26 months after an Audi garage service. The last daily I bought is a Merc C class. The 220cdi AMG is fast enough with its 170bhp and still returns around 60mpg on a run and 55mpg average. Low road tax too, just over £100 a year and for me its really cheap to insure. The Merc is much more solid than the BMW or Audi cars I have owned, it has a quality durable feel the BMW and Audi just can't match. 

The Merc is now 8 years old and hasn't a spec of rust anywhere, sails through its MOT like no other car I've owned. I know its going to sail through as I do a on ramp pre-MOT inspection on the car and even at 101,000 miles it looks and drives like new. The underside is all protected with full length plastic shields so when they come off to check oil levels etc its so clean. 

I wouldn't buy a BMW or Audi again, I would though definitely consider another Merc.

Following this thread closely as I want a bit more practicality and luxuries from my next daily as my current one is a 202k mile 306HDi. 

Rider I’m intrigued on the C220 guess it would make it a 2013 model? Even though the chain is now on the back of these engines they seem a hell of a lot more durable than the same design of BMW engines (N47, B47). Was keeping an eye on the W204 pre 2010 ish on the ones without DPF as they seem to go forever but a bit dated (inside at least) now. 

I'd throw Lexus into the mix as well, parents have had a CT, IS, RX and NX all of which have done good miles in ownership and never had anything go wrong. Packed full of gadgets and the interior feel and quality is right up there with cars double the price.

1 hour ago, Simo2007 said:

Following this thread closely as I want a bit more practicality and luxuries from my next daily as my current one is a 202k mile 306HDi. 

Rider I’m intrigued on the C220 guess it would make it a 2013 model? Even though the chain is now on the back of these engines they seem a hell of a lot more durable than the same design of BMW engines (N47, B47). Was keeping an eye on the W204 pre 2010 ish on the ones without DPF as they seem to go forever but a bit dated (inside at least) now. 

The 'weak' point of the W204 is the timing chain. Its described as a time bomb destined to fail some time after 160,000 miles. So I wouldn't go for a car around or above that mileage if the chain hasn't been replaced seeing it is a major engine out job. My car is a 63 plate that I bought 4 years ago and it's proved totally reliable beyond the other non-service service items on a Merc.

The front ABS sensors seem timed to destruct at 100,000 miles. You read it everywhere and my two went at 96,000 and 99,000 miles. Mercedes change these as a pair, I replaced mine as they failed using the OE Bosch part for 20% of the price Mercedes quoted. I got to see that my inner wing areas are pristine too because that is the one area these cars can rust if dirt and leaves get behind the wheel well plastic cover.

The stop/start battery needed replacing in the Autumn of last year, after 7 years which is a good term, and they are pricey at £140. Other than that I've only replaced brake pads and discs because the discs did have a pronounced lip after 100k miles. They are Brembo front brakes on the AMG so no problems there and I refitted with Brembo discs and pads. I can service the car with about £60 in oils and parts, the various filters which do cost over £100 for OEM parts (the big box air filter is expensive) are only replaced every 4 years.

I've only done 15k miles in my Merc and its still on 4mm tyre tread with the same tyres that came with the car. So although the Michelin OE run flat tyres aren't cheap (£140 a corner) they seem good for around 40k miles which I rate a decent. I recon I only ever saw max 28k miles out of a premium tyre on the Supra.

I've enjoyed owning the Merc, its going onto my daughter this April as I have two daily drivers and I've driven both a combined 2k miles since lockdown in April. It was a choice of Range Rover or Merc to go and in that battle, the Range Rover stays. Its a car that I'll rank as one of the best cars I've owned for quality, reliability and all round durability. Looks like a grandad car but I'm OK with that. The only thing I'd recommend different to my choice is to go automatic, I chose manual and the gearing is a little too high for town cruising and the e-brake can get interesting on steep inclines. The e-brake give you one second from touching the accelerator to brake disengage, that is one second max to match the biting point and to match engine revs. Also, with an e-brake if you forget to depress the brake when you park the brake isn't engaged even if you depress the separate parking brake pedal and the car can go rolling off. The e-brake must be a hydraulic pressure brake so no final applied pressure = no brake. That is not going to be an issue in an automatic car in park. Nor will roll back with an auto on a hill climb from a stopped position. So go auto, everyone, anyone go auto. 

Thanks for the replies,dont think i could cope with the Aristo fuel consumtion,😀 though i'm sure it would be fun.Volvo too is interesting.My eldest son works in Volvo sales and has been trying to sell me a S90 or V90.Lots of Audi around here but all diesel and its only when you start looking for a petrol you find when you narrow it down to miles,price etc you have limited choice.Hadn't thought of Mercedes or Skoda vrs so will have a look at them.Lexus seems a very reliable choice as is the new Toyota Corolla,so guess it will be a wait and see till test drives can be done.

On 1/17/2021 at 12:52 PM, Tyson said:

I'd throw Lexus into the mix as well, parents have had a CT, IS, RX and NX all of which have done good miles in ownership and never had anything go wrong. Packed full of gadgets and the interior feel and quality is right up there with cars double the price.

I've been considering Lexus' for some time now, the answer here could well be the ISF if you're not too fussed about fuel consumption. Although they are capable of 35mpg on a gentle run. Really fancy something hybrid but I can't help but realise that the cost of a nice IS (Premier spec, fairly modern) is the same cost as a well sorted low mileage ISF.

On 1/17/2021 at 2:06 PM, rider said:

The 'weak' point of the W204 is the timing chain. Its described as a time bomb destined to fail some time after 160,000 miles. So I wouldn't go for a car around or above that mileage if the chain hasn't been replaced seeing it is a major engine out job. My car is a 63 plate that I bought 4 years ago and it's proved totally reliable beyond the other non-service service items on a Merc.

The front ABS sensors seem timed to destruct at 100,000 miles. You read it everywhere and my two went at 96,000 and 99,000 miles. Mercedes change these as a pair, I replaced mine as they failed using the OE Bosch part for 20% of the price Mercedes quoted. I got to see that my inner wing areas are pristine too because that is the one area these cars can rust if dirt and leaves get behind the wheel well plastic cover.

The stop/start battery needed replacing in the Autumn of last year, after 7 years which is a good term, and they are pricey at £140. Other than that I've only replaced brake pads and discs because the discs did have a pronounced lip after 100k miles. They are Brembo front brakes on the AMG so no problems there and I refitted with Brembo discs and pads. I can service the car with about £60 in oils and parts, the various filters which do cost over £100 for OEM parts (the big box air filter is expensive) are only replaced every 4 years.

I've only done 15k miles in my Merc and its still on 4mm tyre tread with the same tyres that came with the car. So although the Michelin OE run flat tyres aren't cheap (£140 a corner) they seem good for around 40k miles which I rate a decent. I recon I only ever saw max 28k miles out of a premium tyre on the Supra.

I've enjoyed owning the Merc, its going onto my daughter this April as I have two daily drivers and I've driven both a combined 2k miles since lockdown in April. It was a choice of Range Rover or Merc to go and in that battle, the Range Rover stays. Its a car that I'll rank as one of the best cars I've owned for quality, reliability and all round durability. Looks like a grandad car but I'm OK with that. The only thing I'd recommend different to my choice is to go automatic, I chose manual and the gearing is a little too high for town cruising and the e-brake can get interesting on steep inclines. The e-brake give you one second from touching the accelerator to brake disengage, that is one second max to match the biting point and to match engine revs. Also, with an e-brake if you forget to depress the brake when you park the brake isn't engaged even if you depress the separate parking brake pedal and the car can go rolling off. The e-brake must be a hydraulic pressure brake so no final applied pressure = no brake. That is not going to be an issue in an automatic car in park. Nor will roll back with an auto on a hill climb from a stopped position. So go auto, everyone, anyone go auto. 

Incredibly detailed reply. I was under the impression the pre-DPF 2.1 diesels (i.e. none blue efficiency if I remember it correctly) were the bombproof ones with chains at the front and were duplex. I guess if anything was wrong with the chain it would be relatively easy access compared to the newer ones being at the back. Seems like you've had a lovely time with your current c class though and I hadn't considered a newer diesel but this settles me a little. I was liking the idea of a C63s estate but I'm hitting GTR price territory there. I feel like I'm going to be pondering until something happens to the 306; which is unlikely as being 20 years old this year and just under 203k now it passed it's MOT the other day without a single advisory...

On 1/17/2021 at 6:23 PM, formatzero said:

Thanks for the replies,dont think i could cope with the Aristo fuel consumtion,😀 though i'm sure it would be fun.Volvo too is interesting.My eldest son works in Volvo sales and has been trying to sell me a S90 or V90.Lots of Audi around here but all diesel and its only when you start looking for a petrol you find when you narrow it down to miles,price etc you have limited choice.Hadn't thought of Mercedes or Skoda vrs so will have a look at them.Lexus seems a very reliable choice as is the new Toyota Corolla,so guess it will be a wait and see till test drives can be done.

I know they're slightly smaller but have you considered a 5 door M140i? They are deceptively practical (I had the M135i and could throw my mountain bike in the boot with seats down). If you want some more juice a downpipe and a map will see you at 460bhp and possibly beyond. Hybrid turbo and a handful of other supporting mods and you'll be closer to 600bhp. Apparently these will do 45mpg on a run due to the ZF 8 speed (my M135i did an easy 40mpg cruising) and they're only £150 to tax post 2017. As an all rounder these really tick the boxes for around £20k. There's a guy on PistonHeads (D4MJT) who has had one since new and has well over 60k miles on without a single mechanical issue as far as I'm aware. He's just changed tyres, discs and pads. He's also running close to 600bhp now too with a hybrid conversion but unsure at how long that's been on the car. Could also try out the 440i/340i if you wanted the same drivetrain but a bit more space, although I'm not sure the market prices of these. The B58 is probably the only engine I'd consider in the current BMW lineup as there are far too many stories of the N series diesel engines with failing timing chains and now the S55 crank hub issues.

Edited by Simo2007 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2021 at 9:14 AM, Simo2007 said:

I've been considering Lexus' for some time now, the answer here could well be the ISF if you're not too fussed about fuel consumption. Although they are capable of 35mpg on a gentle run. Really fancy something hybrid but I can't help but realise that the cost of a nice IS (Premier spec, fairly modern) is the same cost as a well sorted low mileage ISF.

Incredibly detailed reply. I was under the impression the pre-DPF 2.1 diesels (i.e. none blue efficiency if I remember it correctly) were the bombproof ones with chains at the front and were duplex. I guess if anything was wrong with the chain it would be relatively easy access compared to the newer ones being at the back. Seems like you've had a lovely time with your current c class though and I hadn't considered a newer diesel but this settles me a little. I was liking the idea of a C63s estate but I'm hitting GTR price territory there. I feel like I'm going to be pondering until something happens to the 306; which is unlikely as being 20 years old this year and just under 203k now it passed it's MOT the other day without a single advisory...

I know they're slightly smaller but have you considered a 5 door M140i? They are deceptively practical (I had the M135i and could throw my mountain bike in the boot with seats down). If you want some more juice a downpipe and a map will see you at 460bhp and possibly beyond. Hybrid turbo and a handful of other supporting mods and you'll be closer to 600bhp. Apparently these will do 45mpg on a run due to the ZF 8 speed (my M135i did an easy 40mpg cruising) and they're only £150 to tax post 2017. As an all rounder these really tick the boxes for around £20k. There's a guy on PistonHeads (D4MJT) who has had one since new and has well over 60k miles on without a single mechanical issue as far as I'm aware. He's just changed tyres, discs and pads. He's also running close to 600bhp now too with a hybrid conversion but unsure at how long that's been on the car. Could also try out the 440i/340i if you wanted the same drivetrain but a bit more space, although I'm not sure the market prices of these. The B58 is probably the only engine I'd consider in the current BMW lineup as there are far too many stories of the N series diesel engines with failing timing chains and now the S55 crank hub issues.

That could be a good call,been very wary of BM after reading about engine and I-Drive issues though,would defo need a warranty as I-Drive is a 2k fix i believe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 12:49 AM, mplavery said:

I’ve just bought a Jaguar XF 2.2 for my daily which are reliable engines .. cheap to run too

you might have the odd door latch fail at some stage but apart from that there good cars 

1D6EF6EC-F604-4E39-BE94-D51C942372B4.jpeg

I was completely unaware that the 2.2 in these was a ford engine with a cam belt. I think in Sportbrake form this is my next daily driver- nice one!

23 hours ago, Simo2007 said:

I was completely unaware that the 2.2 in these was a ford engine with a cam belt. I think in Sportbrake form this is my next daily driver- nice one!

Yea Landrover used the engines too in there disco's .. i wanted the 3.0ltr ..  no difference in prices for the 3.0ltr but they have more issues .. turbos, dpf's , EGR's and even engines.. 

Decided i didn't want the risk so went with the 2.2 .. Actually pull really well .. Getting it mapped in a few weeks 

42 minutes ago, mplavery said:

Yea Landrover used the engines too in there disco's .. i wanted the 3.0ltr ..  no difference in prices for the 3.0ltr but they have more issues .. turbos, dpf's , EGR's and even engines.. 

Decided i didn't want the risk so went with the 2.2 .. Actually pull really well .. Getting it mapped in a few weeks 

Completely agree regarding the 3.0 diesel V6, plagued with problems, not to mention the crankshaft snapping randomly! Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole...

Looking on AT now 😁