The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2jz gte swap

Bender

I was thinking to do a 2jz gte swap in my na manual but got few questions as i guess few people over there already done such a thing

1. What i need to do that?  Engine Harness loom ECU will do the job or i need anything else

2. Will it work ok with w58 5 speed gearbox

3. What is the avarage cost you have to pay for engine swap (as i cant do it myself) 

4. Can i put VVTI engine (fe from aristo) or need to be prefacelift engine (my na is prefacelift) 

Thanks

1. More than likely the swap will involve a VVTi engine from an Aristo (as Supra engines rarely come up for sale these days) Assuming the engine comes with all ancillaries like turbos, alternator, power steering pump & reservoir, aircon unit, ignitor etc. then off the top of my head you'll need to source the following as well as the engine;

• Rear sump setup (budget £4-500 for this alone the way prices are going)
  • TT engine ECU (If it doesn't come with the engine)
  • Speedo dials from a TT car as the NA rev counter will not work properly with a TT engine (budget £2-300 for that)
  • VVTi Airbox or an aftermarket induction kit (£2-300)
  • TT Radiator (thicker than the NA rad - £150)
  • TT Radiator hoses (£100?)
  • Side mount intercooler and pipework (or front mount, but i'd say a front mount would be pointless on a standard engine)
  • First catalytic converter (if doesn't come with engine)
  • Perhaps an uprated fuel pump (can't remember if this is necessary, but i put a Walbro in when i did my swap)
  • There is also some wiring changes on the Aristo loom that will need doing. There's a thread on here about the VVTI swap somewhere.
  • Then you need to add in things like cambelt change, water pump and service items as you'd really want this doing as part of the swap, be daft not to.

2. A GTE engine will work with a W58 gearbox at standard power output, however if you plan to increase the power to BPU levels and beyond, then the W58 isn't really up to the job. Not sure if you'd need a TT manual gearbox ECU rather than the NA one.

3. For a competent garage that has done the swap before (which is ideally what you want) then i'd imagine you'd be paying in the region of 1.5-2k labour +vat (20+hours @£70 an hour)

4. See number 1.

Edited by jim_supra (see edit history)

1 hour ago, erachter said:

It might be cheaper to do a single turbo conversion on your NA 😅

Maybe not cheaper, if you do it properly.
But certainly something to consider.

When you factor in 20+ year old turbo's, VSV's and ECU's, its not a bad idea to go with all fresh and turbo your NA.
Mine has been NA-T since 2014. I don't regret it for a second.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jim_supra said:

1. More than likely the swap will involve a VVTi engine from an Aristo (as Supra engines rarely come up for sale these days) Assuming the engine comes with all ancillaries like turbos, alternator, power steering pump & reservoir, aircon unit, ignitor etc. then off the top of my head you'll need to source the following as well as the engine;

• Rear sump setup (budget £4-500 for this alone the way prices are going)
  • TT engine ECU (If it doesn't come with the engine)
  • Speedo dials from a TT car as the NA rev counter will not work properly with a TT engine (budget £2-300 for that)
  • VVTi Airbox or an aftermarket induction kit (£2-300)
  • TT Radiator (thicker than the NA rad - £150)
  • TT Radiator hoses (£100?)
  • Side mount intercooler and pipework (or front mount, but i'd say a front mount would be pointless on a standard engine)
  • First catalytic converter (if doesn't come with engine)
  • Perhaps an uprated fuel pump (can't remember if this is necessary, but i put a Walbro in when i did my swap)
  • There is also some wiring changes on the Aristo loom that will need doing. There's a thread on here about the VVTI swap somewhere.
  • Then you need to add in things like cambelt change, water pump and service items as you'd really want this doing as part of the swap, be daft not to.

2. A GTE engine will work with a W58 gearbox at standard power output, however if you plan to increase the power to BPU levels and beyond, then the W58 isn't really up to the job. Not sure if you'd need a TT manual gearbox ECU rather than the NA one.

3. For a competent garage that has done the swap before (which is ideally what you want) then i'd imagine you'd be paying in the region of 1.5-2k labour +vat (20+hours @£70 an hour)

4. See number 1.

Thanks very informative

Budget 10k for a decent NA-T setup that will have all the hardware you need for 400-700hp that isn't using Chinese shit. 

Budget 4-5k for a decent transmission, propshaft & clutch. Excluding V160, unless you get lucky and find a cheap one. 

Budget 0.5-2k for a stock or aftermarket diff with correct ratio & LSD internals for whatever gearbox you run. 

It's a bit sad, but even these days starting with a Aristo VVTi engine and you won't be far off spending 10k doing a proper GTE swap unless you get some good deals along the way. 

Just for reference, recently at SRD we sold a customers complete 2JZGTE Non VVTI complete engine package, electronics, intercooler, etc etc. Everything needed for a plug & play swap (excluding gearbox). It sold for 8k. 

Can probably save a few grand if you do all the work yourself. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mike2JZ said:

Budget 10k for a decent NA-T setup that will have all the hardware you need for 400-700hp that isn't using Chinese shit. 

Budget 4-5k for a decent transmission, propshaft & clutch. Excluding V160, unless you get lucky and find a cheap one. 

Budget 0.5-2k for a stock or aftermarket diff with correct ratio & LSD internals for whatever gearbox you run. 

It's a bit sad, but even these days starting with a Aristo VVTi engine and you won't be far off spending 10k doing a proper GTE swap unless you get some good deals along the way. 

Just for reference, recently at SRD we sold a customers complete 2JZGTE Non VVTI complete engine package, electronics, intercooler, etc etc. Everything needed for a plug & play swap (excluding gearbox). It sold for 8k. 

Can probably save a few grand if you do all the work yourself. 

What about if i want to stay with w58 gearbox and clutch as i dont want to go for massive power. Im aiming for 380 - 420 BHP it will reduce the cost? 

1 hour ago, Bender said:

What about if i want to stay with w58 gearbox and clutch as i dont want to go for massive power. Im aiming for 380 - 420 BHP it will reduce the cost? 

I mean you won't have to buy a new gearbox, so will save yourself 4-5k. 

You will still be around the 10k mark by the time you buy a GTE swap, then BPU it to give you 420bhp. You could probably do a cheap NA-T build, but then you will end up replacing most things so ends up costing more in the long run. 

On 1/13/2021 at 12:04 AM, Bender said:

Seen that one on youtube 

Some incredibly unrealistic prices in this video when applied to the UK market unfortunately. You're talking £300+ for a stock manual ECU rather than the $150 (£75) on the video. Doubt you'll get a pair of good OEM turbos for a crate of beer as well.

In all honesty, whatever you reckon you'll spend all in you'll need to at least double it to actually get there in the end. It all adds up quickly

How much in an aristo gte lump these days?

If you are willing to sacrifice your ge engine you can swap over the sump off the supra to the aristo engine.

Would this make sense or would it be better to sell the ge as a straight swap and then buy the sump? Not sure how much they go for.

2 minutes ago, nolizma said:

How much in an aristo gte lump these days?

If you are willing to sacrifice your ge engine you can swap over the sump off the supra to the aristo engine.

Would this make sense or would it be better to sell the ge as a straight swap and then buy the sump? Not sure how much they go for.

A quick ebay search shows 2JZGTE aristo motors going for £4500-5250 currently. 

Rear sump prices are a bit crazy, one on ebay going for £650 lol. You can still buy them new for toyota less than that if you really need one. 

If you have a GE, and putting in a GTE from an aristo then I'd say its silly not to use the GE as a donor. You will need rear sump setup, engine mounts, AC compressor & a few other bits. If you don't have those parts already then you will easily spend a grand trying to buy those parts. 

Someone will still buy a GE even if it's been stripped off some of its parts.