The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine Cover No.2 with active spoiler needed, Toyota's quote is silly... £3021 plus vat.

Geoff

Would be great if someone started making the spoiler undertrays as they are difficult to get hold of, if you do manage they're usually cracked or broken. They are made out of Fberglass GRP type material anyway so shouldn't be too difficult for soemone experienced with fibre glass to make.

On 12/14/2020 at 12:44 PM, Geoff said:

engine cover no.2, 53509-14010 (with active spoiler) 

Toyota just quoted £3021 plus vat.

Anyone know if anyone is making them ? 

Many thanks Geoff. 

MBX584E.png

I don't understand which part you are after? Have you got a photo?

Just now, Homer said:

I believe Geoff is referring to the plastic undertray part. It's number 53590 in his picture (Confusing I know!)

Ah ok, that explains it a bit better. I only asked as I'm removing all my active spoiler setup the next couple of weeks to go ETS FMIC, and I have a set of SRD blanking plates to fill the hole that would be left, and wondered if they could be adapted for Geoff's application, so was going to take a look for him.

On 12/15/2020 at 1:05 AM, Geoff said:

lol, bargain.    think I'll repair mine. I would take a mould and make some fibreglass ones if there was a market, I'm amazed nobody is making them. 🙂

I'm guessing there's not much market for them as a lot of people tend to fit front mounted incoolers. So unless it's a custom intrcooler core jobby the tray needs removing/hacking up. 

I've seen a few hackjobs on Supra's to make room for the front mounts, one on a  nearly stock UK TT6 which made me cringe.

For me personally, the active front spoiler is one of the best options/features of the MKIV.

Edited by Iky (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Sorry for the confusion, its the plastic tray that I have to replace / repair if I can find the correct adhesive. 

IMG_20201106_195729.jpg

It's just fibreglass.  We fixed my brothers just by sanding the top coat and using fiberglass filler and matting to reshape. If it needs strength, you may need to rivit a piece of metal across the two parts.

Edited by Iky (see edit history)

Interesting, I tried a test spot, sanded and used epoxy resin and while it sort of bonded a bit I was able to get a chisel under it and it debonded and came off.   

I'm about to do the same test with bumper epoxy and the bond promoter 

Watch this space..    If that does not work I'll epoxy it back together and take a mould , didn't want the argo, but we will see. 

Thanks all for the comments 

Edited by Geoff (see edit history)

As far as I'm aware with fibre glass, you have to grind it down to below the gel coat so fibres are showing. The P40 filler should bond to that.

Ours bonded well, unfortunately car was involved in an accident after that and the undertray was demolished.

Grinding down to the fibres will indeed help, but polyester resin will not develop a strong bond with the polymer they have used.   You may well get away with it but the joint will be nowhere near the strength of the original and the joint will always be the weak point.   So additional fibre glass across the joint will help, but the risk is that fiber glass will be-bond with the existing over time. 

Thanks,  thats the non active spoiler version, you can still buy those for 248.28 pounds from toyota 🙂

See my picture, the new is Non Active, the old is my active undertray.   The ends are completely different for the spoiler mounting.  And the non active are thin plastic, nowhere near as strong. 

Undertray_types_IMG_20201212_130644.thumb.jpg.bca8362b3af4276175989748b608c138.jpg