The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sending a parcel to the USA

Dnk

Any recommendations to send a car part and have it insured ?

Its a custom de mist vent cover that gets bonded onto the rather 

fragile dash of the classic Range Rover. 

Less than 1kg  110 cm x 10 cm x 1.5 cm value around £200 which i'd like 

it covered for incase of damage or lost 

11 minutes ago, SupraLEDrears said:

Ah I didn’t see the sizes before. Only ups will ship items that large abroad. But you’re gonna pay about 200 quid for it too.

Not what i'd call large too be honest, the issue is as soon as you say its a part for a car i think 

IMG_5792.JPG

22 minutes ago, rider said:

I'm sure I've posted this before in the recent past. Anyway, Parcelbroker says FedEx £24. You'll then have extras like insurance. That's on their economy 5 day service.

Contacting them to see if they will take this, waiting for a response 

I send all my car parts through the post office all over the world!

tell them is a trim piece off something else? they will insure it too just take it to your local post office they are pretty knowledgeable tbh👍

try parcel compare website but I have been charged extra after sending things in the past due to volumetric weight what ever that is🤣😬 and it’s always on the larger items that have no real weight like yours!

thanks

mark

1 hour ago, Dnk said:

cant send car parts with them, i'm looking for a courier that will and give me loss/damage insurance and 

not want a stupid amount for doing it

That's really odd that Parcelforce say they won't handle car parts, they're perfectly happy to handle the car parts I get from Japan, present them to customs almost every time and then charge a £12 handling fee for the pleasure before releasing them to me.

As Mark says, might be worth a trip down to your local post office, I've shipped car parts abroad with them, though the rules seem to vary from one place to the next. I went to one near my work the other day to post some engine hooks to a member on here, and they refused it as it's a part from the engine and may contain oils/ petrol. Explained that they're cleaned and like new but they wouldn't budge, though I know if I go to my local one they'll send them out with no problems.

You don't really want to use Royal Mail to post to the USA for the same reason you get raided when ParcelForce clear UK customs. Royal Mail would hand over the USPS and the recipient would then land a big handling fee.

So, its best to ship by door to door courier like DHL, UPS or FedEx to avoid the painful delay and costs of inserting a third party clearing/handling fee. FedEx £24 on a 1kg package or £34 on a 3kg package if its package strengthened is about as good as it'll ever get for that size package, door to door with an option to add insurance and pre-pay duties. 

Fedex gave me 3 quotes, cheapest is £95.83

Unless i lie what it is then its a non starter, some will take it but not insured 

I used myhermes before and they were cheap,  also said its insured but good luck making a claim if they do damage or lose your parcel as its impossible to get intouch with them. They lost one item i was sending i tried to start a claim and got no where, funnily enough even though their own tracking hasn't a clue where it is the part actually arrived 4 weeks after the delivery date. 

One item coming to me was destroyed and myhermes told the sender it was delivered 4 days before i got it, the sender was replacing a replacement and sent it next day delivery, they only believed me when i sent them the myhermes email they send to you proving they'd lied to the seller, USE AT YOUR PERIL  

Think i'm going to give the buyer the option on how he wants to proceed, he really wants 

my part but its me taking all the risk 

Thanks for all the input guys 

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

14 hours ago, rider said:

Did you use Parcelbroker? Using weight and dimensions provided the attchment list comes up.

shipping.pdf 468.51 kB · 1 download

They have this slightly open to interpretation comment on the prohibited list so 

its a non starter. "Large Vehicle Parts (including but not limited to; Exhausts, Bumpers, Spoilers, Panels, Doors)"

The buyer can agree to take the chance if he wants to arrange his own uninsured 

courier.

How did you send a diff using them ? "Motor Parts containing (or that may have contained) oil" are on the prohibited list 

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

The differential i sent was a third member so that is just the gears and shaft on a part casing that bolts onto the axle casing. It was new and open so it didn't contain oil, other than the assembly oil. It had also never contained oil. They initially rejected it but rescinded that when I sent them a picture of a third member which shows it could never contain oil.

• 4 months later...