The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel pump control

Chrisbeast

Evening all.

My car died on me the other day after checking through the usual suspects i have narrowed the problem down to the fuel pump ecu.

I have attached a pic of the ecu, after looking carefully the only thing standing out is the green block which looks to of popped/melted!

Is there anyone on the forum who could repair this for me?

Regards Chris.

DSC_0343.thumb.JPG.e49d02d974c8350bf5ebbcb0487952ca.JPG

It can be removed and replaced by a simple 30 Amp relay if you can't find a good used one. I have never had a problem with one so haven't had cause to try and effect a repair to the actual control unit. It uses PWM to control the fuel pump voltage to aid fuel heating and current consumption. It's probably quite a complex circuit.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 2:02 PM, Chris Wilson said:

It can be removed and replaced by a simple 30 Amp relay if you can't find a good used one. I have never had a problem with one so haven't had cause to try and effect a repair to the actual control unit. It uses PWM to control the fuel pump voltage to aid fuel heating and current consumption. It's probably quite a complex circuit.

Ok Chris, thank you for that.

8 hours ago, Chrisbeast said:

Hi thanks for your reply, yes any info would be much appreciated. 

Regards Chris. 

Hi Chris,

See the attached photos of the one that came out of mine, almost identical damage to yours. What you can't see until you disassemble the unit is the value stamped into the top of the capacitor. I ended up ordering a replacement from Farnell, part number was R60EN4470AA30K 4.7 micro farad capacitor. That was the only model capacitor that was dimensionally correct to fit back into the ECU housing and the pins at the correct spacing. Link below.

https://uk.farnell.com/kemet/r60en4470aa30k/cap-4-7-f-100v-10-pet-radial/dp/2763181?scope=partnumberlookahead&ost=R60EN4470AA30K&searchref=searchlookahead&exaMfpn=true

£1.58 each, and easy enough to fit if you can use a soldering iron. Mine seemed to work fine again after fitting it.

IMG_20201205_120718.jpg

IMG_20201205_120733.jpg

IMG_20201205_120746.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bonus_2000 said:

Hi Chris,

See the attached photos of the one that came out of mine, almost identical damage to yours. What you can't see until you disassemble the unit is the value stamped into the top of the capacitor. I ended up ordering a replacement from Farnell, part number was R60EN4470AA30K 4.7 micro farad capacitor. That was the only model capacitor that was dimensionally correct to fit back into the ECU housing and the pins at the correct spacing. Link below.

https://uk.farnell.com/kemet/r60en4470aa30k/cap-4-7-f-100v-10-pet-radial/dp/2763181?scope=partnumberlookahead&ost=R60EN4470AA30K&searchref=searchlookahead&exaMfpn=true

£1.58 each, and easy enough to fit if you can use a soldering iron. Mine seemed to work fine again after fitting it.

IMG_20201205_120718.jpg

IMG_20201205_120733.jpg

IMG_20201205_120746.jpg

Hi. Thank you so much you are a star!

Regards Chris.