The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual gear knob conversion from auto

Milo500

Hi,

There are two threads on here prior to the site change, and the images from photo bucket don't seem to load anymore. Even if this gets fixed, I still am wondering if anyone has found a better and more modern way of doing this.

I have the manual gear surround, and want lockout in park/reverse etc. Like normal.

Ideal situation would be an oem looking manual surround and knob.

Please share your experiences and ways of doing so below, the more photos the better :)

many thanks

I tried with the manual surround and the shift lever would contact when put into the L position. Enough so that it sometimes didn’t engage because the gaiter and gear knob collar were fouling.

So I fixed a BMW (I think) gaiter onto the auto surround and it all moves freely. I don’t need the manu button due to having a stand-alone gearbox ecu so that was a switch that didn’t need relocating, or the overdrive button. The gear lever is a push down and move now, instead of a button press.

469082C2-8622-49B2-A142-DB1B842F7675.jpeg

353226AC-E32D-4CD2-B071-EA63D7F1AEF0.jpeg

• Like 1

I use this shift knob:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Car-Automatic-Gear-Shift-Knob-Cool-Black-Leather-Shifter-Lever-Stick/303561123253

and a jaguar leather gaiter.

I relocated the overdrive button to a switch near the ignition. 

Done this on my current car and my F&F replica. Pics in build links below :)

Edited by ben_harmer32 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies, very appreciated.

My god this new platform is easier to use on mobiles haha.

Del boy, have you removed the actual auto shifter under the gaiter? Ideally i will try and use the manual surround, and will try a nice loose, thin gaiter from something else like you said.

How has yours actually been constructed?

I would prefer the push down method instead of a push button on top of a manual gear knob.

Thanks

I know right! 😉 Those images were on my phone and I just added them like it was WhatsApp. Much easier interface.

Underneath the dash panel the auto lever mechanism is all there still, just the plastics are removed. With the OE knob removed you’re left with the shifter shaft and a threaded rod poking out. My Momo gear knob collar fits around the shaft, and the threaded rod which goes up and down screws into the inside of the knob. My gear knob needed a thread tapping into it then it would screw onto the threaded rod.

If you can find a gear knob that is slimmer around the collar then you might be ok with the manual surround. It also prevented going into P I recall now, due to the gaiter getting pinched against the collar and surround. I put some brackets under the gaiter as guards as it also had a habit of getting snagged in the mechanism of the lever. It’s all revertable so can be undone if needed.

You’d need to find new homes for the manu button and overdrive button. The shift lock override (red button) can still be pressed through the gaiter. The red button normally presses down on a white paddle which is what will be left behind when the OE shifter knob and plastics are removed. It can be fixed down with a tie which would mean you could move the lever without having to press the brake pedal. 

17 hours ago, David P said:

Don't forget a fake clutch pedal too. :shrug:

Fake clutch pedal.jpg

Thanks for the useful reply.

I don't see what is wrong with what I want to do. The old auto unit looks old and outdated, and I like the look and feel of the manual surround (from when I also had my manual).

🤷‍♀️

2 hours ago, drift_bear said:

I’ve got an auto lever set up sitting in my unit that’s been modified to take a manual gear knob. I don’t have a supra anymore so if you’re interested, I bought it from mk4Gaz about 7/8 months ago and it’s sat in my unit since

5FE3DDE9-4360-4511-9B02-742396F0C2B7.jpeg

4C2E02C0-DA66-42B3-B40D-9D83695425ED.jpeg

4BCB62C4-4656-42B7-9AAC-190FC3743627.jpeg

1EE0A671-6564-46F3-BD37-92506F183052.jpeg

0277D95B-6626-48DD-A6AD-1DE201926D75.jpeg

F791E711-D2FB-4052-A337-29F8F8E93598.jpeg

50FA6A24-DA43-49ED-A4CF-49377499973B.jpeg

696E6578-6680-4928-9BD7-125E2D95EEF3.jpeg

33AA1D66-239D-4DA8-A0CD-AC1A9252E3EA.jpeg

45765345-8A65-42AF-99AF-21BCE2353265.jpeg

Woah, that looks ideal mate. How much are you looking for? Although I could probably make this with mine and my tig welder.