The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Merc C63 AMG or anything else

jamesmark

Having wanted to get myself a V8 for a while now, a car that has never really floated my boat has now started to get me interested. Mercedes C63 AMG.

Now looking into them, I think I am right in saying to go for a facelift model, so 2012+. Also if you can get one fitted with the performance pack, only boosts it by 30bhp, so also read if that is not in budget at the very least get one fitted with an LSD, factory or aftermarket.

I used to think Audi to get a comfortable V8, but all the vids and what I read, they just do not measure up when compared to rivals.

Anyone had a C63? I am really only looking for 4 door or estate (I have rugrats to consider) I am also thinking of it as an investment as it was the last C class to be fitted with the 6.2L V8.

Other V8 was the Mustang.

MSL can fit a LSD for around £1500

Can munch through tyres and keep on top on the wheel alignment, and location of petrol pumps lol :D

I missed out on another C63 facelift in April in the peak of Corona, it was cheap.. £15k for a saloon with 58k miles, but now the used market is strong money, they will go up I believe.

What about the Audi RS4? or the big boss RS6?

Can munch through tyres and keep on top on the wheel alignment, and location of petrol pumps lol :D

I missed out on another C63 facelift in April in the peak of Corona, it was cheap.. £15k for a saloon with 58k miles, but now the used market is strong money, they will go up I believe.

What about the Audi RS4? or the big boss RS6?

£15k?? I assume that was a non facelift? RS4 & RS6, I used to think they were definitely the car I would have considered, but more I look into them, and similar to what Gaz has said below, they just do not measure up.

From my old days as a bad motoring journalist, I can tell you that 6.2 is one of the best engines ever made. The C63 drives miles better than its rivals too. The gearbox isn't the quickest, but you soon learn to drive around that.

I have owned a 2007 or 2009 I can't recall now, E class 280Cdi and have driven a fair few hire E classes, both petrol and Diesel and I always found the gearboxes lazy. Never driven a high powered merc yet, so I do not know if it is different higher end. But Hey I drive a V70 D5, they are even lazier.

The modern mercs are lovely but a 2012 C63 is still on the "old taxi" looking interior. Orrible. This is where the Audi picks up and why people love them.

I get what you mean with interior, would not say it is horrible, certainly not offensive, but yeah later Audi’s are much nicer inside. BMW of similar or older age are even worse.

That is the other thing I forgot to mention, should I really be fussed about the Performance pack. As far as I can tell it offers 30bhp more, the way I will drive it I will probably not notice the extra BHP. Red calipers, I actually do not like them, I much prefer the standard silver look. A few carbon pieces fitted (unless your going exotic, carbon is just for chavs), oh and a different stitched steering wheel. But the biggest benefit is the LSD.

Looking at auto trader, cars fitted with the PPP are all £3-£4k above average book price.

So it is which avenue to go down, if it is pure investment, then PPP should be a no brainer as it is all OEM and a C63 with PPP fitted should retain its value more. But cost, I can get a car £3-£4k cheaper maybe more, then spend the £1500 getting an LSD fitted. Reading up on it, the aftermarket LSD is not frowned upon.

I was actually very close to buying one in auction last month, been looking at these for a while. From what I recall, the performance pack *plus* utilises the forged pistons from the then new SLS AMG, a lightweight crankshaft, new connecting rods and a new engine management system, along with LSD and other carbon goodies. I've driven quite a few of them (standard, performance pack, straight through pipes etc) and they are an absolute blast to drive, I've not driven many cars that rival the roar of that 6.2 litre V8 - and I drive for a living!

Although the interior may be dated, Id be looking at a later facelift example, 2012-2014, not only do they look meaner, interior is slightly improved and the gearboxes were also revised post 2011. I don't think there will ever be a version of these engines on the production line again, and its a real shame. If you have some cash to splash, you wont regret spending on a good example of a C63. Just bare in mind, most of these have had a hard life for obvious reasons, so would be best to experience it first hand before taking the plunge - but as long as its been weel looked after, doesn't mean you cant join in on the fun ;)

The performance difference on a performance pack C63 compared to the stock one is significant. The SLS internals really transforms the response, it just gets up and goes.. I think they come with a clutch pack, the earlier ones have a normal auto so there is launch control as well.

The 507 edition has more power as well, so also a good option.

Its definitely one of the best V8 motors.

LSD is a must IMO, why it wasn't standard fit I've no idea, but aftermarket ones can be fitted later. Performance pack improvement is more than the few extra BHP would suggest, you definitely want it.

I almost bought one, but wasn't sure I was ready to give up a manual box... and then I saw an E92 M3 completely by chance, at a price too good to pass up. So I still scratched that V8 itch! :)

Absolutely brilliant cars, especially the 2004/2005 facelift Euro 3 P2 models.

Had a 2003 D5 XC70, Loved that car, was one of the last ones before they transferred to Ford ownership and Volvo went a bit down hill. Sadly had to sell it on as transfer box went on it and was not economical to repair.

My current one is a 2014 D5, has updates on it from the 2015 onwards models like the sensus ICE. Love the car to be fair, I got the Polestar optimisation done last year on her too, which makes her a lot more punchy and not as lazy. Has all the bells and whistle on it too, like adaptive cruise, BLIS, lane keeping the crash detection has a mind of its own though. Love the car, it is just a nice place to sit and drive.

Hi, my daily driver is a 2014 c63 amg 507bhp edition estate. I’ve owned the car for the last 2 years and it’s the best all round car I’ve ever experienced and the noise of the v8 engine is epic. I looked at quite a lot of c63 cars before buying the c63 I’ve got now cause a lot of the cars I looked at had poor history lots of owners and been clocked. I ended up buying my 2 owner car fmbsh from mclaren Solihull and never had any problems cause I bought the right car.

Hi,

I currently own an e39 M5 Supercharged & a B7 RS4 Avant. The RS4 has to be the best car for me, gearbox is silky smooth with the V8 purr you just can't get better. The e39 M5 is good in its own way but more of a weekender, very hard to find one which is rust free & low miles.

My older brother owns a C63 507, which is a great car but is more for track set up. We had a facelift C63 which felt good as a daily. The 507 steering is slightly different but really looks the part & they're going up in value.

My younger brothers got the V10 M5, that is just a money pitt! So wouldn't advise buying. unless you like headache.

As a car trader, selling sports, prestige performance cars it makes me want to constantly buy & invest in the older generation cars as these new toys are all great, but all feel & look the same & you soon get very bored, very quick.

Would definitely recommend the C63 as they aren't as high maintenance as it's rivals. The B7 RS4 can be expensive if it's not had all the major work done i.e Flaps on the manifold, carbon clean, DRC etc

Looks like you have some nice v8s sir. I think your brother has good taste having a 507 aswell. Its good news if the c63s aren’t depreciating this means I’ll have a good deposit towards my next car. Mind you I don’t swap my cars very often ie I’ve had my supra 18 years and the car is in retirement in the garage, since owning the c63 plus I prefer the auto on the Mercedes rather than the Getrag manual gearbox on the tt6 now I’ve advanced in years.

Thanks guys, having looked into it more and whats been said on here. I think the C63 with PPP would be the best option, when I am ready to go for one, I just need to find one in white and is an estate, if not saloon would be next choice. The 507, yeah I would love that but for what I want and budget, the 507 is £10-£12k more. I want it to usable too.