The mkiv Supra Owners Club

home security flood lighting

gavin.starr

Any electrical gurus out there that can help me with this that would be great.

I'm currently in the process of installing some security flood lights to the front of my property to cover the cars on my driveway. I have never really had much to say about PIR sensors as they seem to trigger at the smallest thing or not come on at all when you want it to.

The only reason i want it to be triggered by a break beam is that it is then a dedicated system to be triggered by an intruder only and not a tree branch moving in the wind.

My idea is to run a IR Break beam reflector across the front of my driveway at say 3 foot high as to not be set off by cats etc walking through the beam. The Break beams have an alarm/trigger output on them which i am gathering is to be linked into the house alarm to set that off to warn you of an intruder. Would it be possible to link that alarm function of the Beam Sensor to trigger the flood light via a relay?

I can do basic electronics so when it comes to complex stuff I'm no electrician. Most of the sensors run of a voltage range of 10 volts to 30 volts and the floodlight would be running off the mains voltage.

This is the sensor i'm thinking about

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quantek-Reflective-Photoelectric-Detector-Sensor/dp/B008EHJ0L6

I'm sure some one with some good electrical knowledge would easily be able to work out a wiring diagram and components in order to make this work.

Any help would be great

Gavin

Edited by gavin.starr (see edit history)

I recently fitted a Ring floodlight camera.

Gives you the benefit of a PIR floodlight and a CCTV camera all in one.

Expensive and sure you have the subscription of £2 a month but it's been fantastic for me.

https://en-uk.ring.com/products/floodlight-cam - You can get it cheaper, around £199

I know it doesn't answer your question but just an idea.

The beam sensor would be a good idea until they come over a wall or bush and not directly through the beam.

Edited by Ric (see edit history)

My Property is already covered by CCTV, but i want lights to come on as an extra deterrent. The trouble with having a PIR motion detection is that the pavement is close to the driveway and will be constantly triggering the light to come on, and will probably end up annoying the neighbours.