Please indicate your posting practice  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Please indicate your posting practice

• Smartphone for all posting
    • Smartphone for most posting
    • Around half & half
    • Laptop or PC for most posting
    • Laptop or PC for all posting

There can be little doubt this equation is connected and according to statistics, the majority of forum members will be Nomophobic.

Whether you can be bothered to read the supporting evidence of this or not, please indicate your posting practice in the poll.

Please post comment on this matter, after you have read this post and the attached links.

Thank you

Due to the smartphone small screen, lengthy text becomes too tedious for many to bother reading, exacerbated by the fact that using mobile phones for text reduces human concentration span to less than that of a goldfish.

Entering text into a smartphone is also tedious and consequently, context is often minimalised, exacerbated by minimalised use of correct grammar results with barely legible content and predictive text can make it complete gibberish.

With less legible content, less reading, less concentration and less understanding, inevitably results with less interest.

This is all proven fact and which is detailed in the links I have provided. However, these will be too much text for most smartphone users to be bothered to read and also beyond a reduced concentration span.

These proven facts however, may be flatly denied or more likely, completely ignored by Nomophobics and which are the expected response(s) from addicts who will avoid addressing their addiction at any cost.

Nomophobia might not yet be classified as an official mental health condition; however, experts agree this issue of the technology age is a growing concern that can affect mental health.

Texting & Writing Skills

https://www.asianage.com/life/more-features/140917/texting-improper-grammar-poorer-writing-skills.html

What is Nomophobia

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/addictions/smartphone-addiction.htm

Smartphone Addiction Statistics

https://leftronic.com/smartphone-addiction-statistics/

Smartphone Overuse – A Growing Public Health Issue

https://www.longdom.org/open-access/smartphone-overuse--a-growing-public-health-issue-2161-0487-1000289.pdf

attachment.php?attachmentid=237351&d=1597136636

Edited by David P
Moving a pic (see edit history)

Without indication that anyone has actually read the information linked?

A satirical presentation of reality in an environment where this is commonly denied and humour a concept fearful to many...

Smartphones don’t press their own buttons, some have their buttons pressed by very smart people, nevertheless, others have their buttons pressed by persons less-so and is the other element of this equation.

Notwithstanding, Modern Men also lurk in unjustifiable guises manifold; including:

The Lazy; who despite at least 12 years of schooling can still barely write in their native language.

(Doesn’t help the forum)

The Greedy; who have learned that auctions are against the rules, so alternatively, hold Dutch auctions.

(Definitely doesn’t help the forum)

attachment.php?attachmentid=237420&d=1597602444

The Ignorant; who ask technical questions yet don’t give a thank you for answers given and/or don't add resolution to their thread for benefit of others.

(Consistently detrimental for the forum)

The Selfish; who mostly/only take and rarely/never give.

(Consistently parasitic to the forum)

The Immoral; for whom money overrides each & every consideration.

(We have all had enough of this ilk)

The Apathetic; who couldn’t give a toss.

(Worthless to all)

The Humourless; who blame their immaturity onto Political Correctness.

(Sad Bastards are a negative influence anywhere)

A successful Club requires equilibrium between Contribution & Reward.

The most successful Clubs are those that have more giving than taking.

The least successful Clubs are those that have more taking and less giving.

With the poll at a so-far less-than fulfilling 47; it presently shows that over time posting has degenerated from 100% PC or Laptop, to around 64% PC or Laptop / 36% Smartphone. However, it is reasonably probable that the majority of non poll-ers could be; Apathetic, Immoral, Ignorant, Lazy, Selfish, Greedy, and/or Humourless predominantly Smartphone posters?

Resulting with the equation;

( Smartphones )........( Humour )

..( Fuc#w!ts ).... x .( Sad Bastards )

Edited by David P
updating poll count & added immoral (see edit history)

I only use my iPad for visiting the forum which isn’t an option :search:

An iPad falls somewhere in between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea!

It has a larger letterbox through which to paint the QE2 and larger text buttons that are not quite as tedious to use as a Smartphone.

For me, it's a Smartphone for the visually impaired. :think:

However, in the great scheme of things, it's a Gay contraption that's neither arsehole nor breakfast?

Edited by David P (see edit history)

It has a larger letterbox through which to paint the QE2 and larger text buttons that are not quite as tedious to use as a Smartphone.

However, in the great scheme of things, it's a Gay contraption that's neither arsehole nor breakfast?

Not an ipad fan then either. Oh and happy birthday for whenever it is, or was, know its about now.:burp:

I find your take on smart phone and tablets users rather naive and small minded. People far more intelligent than you and me for that matter, utilise these technologies to replace the likes of bulky laptops and desktops. They manage to string sentences together, use proper English spelling and grammar. Tarring everyone who uses them with the same brush displays ignorance and makes you look a bit silly. Believe it or not it is possible to leverage technology to benefit the user experience rather devalue it.

Written on my iPad :)

• 2 weeks later...
I find your take on smart phone and tablets users rather naive and small minded. People far more intelligent than you and me for that matter, utilise these technologies to replace the likes of bulky laptops and desktops. They manage to string sentences together, use proper English spelling and grammar. Tarring everyone who uses them with the same brush displays ignorance and makes you look a bit silly.

Written on my iPad :)

Quite incredulous; that is exactly what I haven't said!

For the convenience of Smartphone/iPad handicapped browsers....

Smartphones don’t press their own buttons, some have their buttons pressed by very smart people, nevertheless, others have their buttons pressed by persons less-so and is the other element of this equation.

Thank you for that fine example of supporting evidence for my case re. Modern Men's self inflicted inability! :hi:

Edited by David P
Adding "iPad" (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Quite incredulous; that is exactly what I haven't said!

For the convenience of Smartphone/iPad handicapped browsers....

Thank you for that fine example of supporting evidence for my case re. Modern Men's self inflicted inability! :hi:

Apologies, I obviously missed that bit. It was posted at just before 1am so tiredness had obviously set in. Your rhetoric does imply though that it is the many and not the few which I still disagree with, we will just have to agree to disagree there.

This is obviously a subject you are very passionate about so I would encourage you to stick to the facts and healthy debate, resulting to insults and name calling will only undermine your credibility.

I think I have said all I want to say on this thread so shall only be returning in an official capacity should I be needed to. Good luck with your poll, I hope you get some useful information from the results and can share that with member's.

Apologies, I obviously missed that bit. It was posted at just before 1am so tiredness had obviously set in. Your rhetoric does imply though that it is the many and not the few which I still disagree with, we will just have to agree to disagree there.

This is obviously a subject you are very passionate about so I would encourage you to stick to the facts and healthy debate, resulting to insults and name calling will would only undermine your credibility.

I think I have said all I want to say on this thread so shall only be returning in an official capacity should I be needed to. Good luck with your poll, I hope you get some useful information from the results and can share that with member's.

I have edited your post for you... :)

Thank you for your magnanimity, nevertheless, 62 out of now down to 535, kind of proves my point!

Yes I am "passionate" about this Global issue, that apart from recognition by Gaz6002, apparently doesn't exist with Club Members, or is being ignored by addicts?

Guess which option my pint is on!

Edited by David P
?&? to !&! (see edit history)

I have edited your post for you... :)

Thank you for your magnanimity, nevertheless, 62 out of now down to 535, kind of proves my point!

Yes I am "passionate" about this Global issue, that apart from recognition by Gaz6002, apparently doesn't exist with Club Members, or is being ignored by addicts?

Guess which option my pint is on!

Around 12% of the active forum members have voted now, and the results show that of those 12% the majority of posters are doing so via computers/ laptops (around 70/30 by my maths)

The percentage of respondents should be more than enough to provide a reasonable average of user activity on here, and so to assume that the over 400 non respondents are all smartphone users, and thus skewing the results, is probably innacurate.

There is a decline in forum activity for sure, but this threads reasoning that it is directly correlated to smartphone users is surely (and perhaps statistically) flawed.

Around 12% of the active forum members have voted now, and the results show that of those 12% the majority of posters are doing so via computers/ laptops (around 70/30 by my maths)

The percentage of respondents should be more than enough to provide a reasonable average of user activity on here, and so to assume that the over 400 non respondents are all smartphone users, and thus skewing the results, is probably innacurate.

There is a decline in forum activity for sure, but this threads reasoning that it is directly correlated to smartphone users is surely (and perhaps statistically) flawed.

I doubt that it's the sole reason, without doubt however, it's definitely more than a straw on the camels back.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

I've monitored my business website from 2003, which is when the business was founded. The website has had four major revisions in 17 years which was primarily around making the site more small screen sizable/friendly. There weren't any smartphones back in the day so then the only question in 2003 was what browser people were using and where were they located, the browser choice would impact on things like java and flash so it was useful to know and this information led to our dropping flash from the website around 15 years ago as Internet explorer fell away. Smartphones came upon the World in 2007 with the launch of the Apple i-phone. These sold well, I could see it in the breakdown that suddenly, from nowhere, 10% were popping onto the site by smartphone. As the smartphone and tablet market grew then every year, the number of users using these grew. Today, we have 10% using PC's or laptops, 20% on tablets and 70% on smartphones to access our site. I'm sure Mawby has the comparable data for this forum over the years from pretty much the same starting point.

So, here we have a poll that says 50% of contributors use only or primarily large screen means for posting. That, to me, suggests that the site is probably small screen unfriendly and that would restrict those users and consequently the potential engagement from those small screen users.

Over to Mawby for some site stats.

• 3 weeks later...