The mkiv Supra Owners Club

White Weapon - 2JZ Forged VVTi NA-T Build

AC93

• 2 weeks later...

My HVAC had no power since a couple days after mapping, turned out it was just a fuse! Changed that last weekend then decided to take the car to work today.. got 5 mins down the road and my engine sounded like a paper shredder 😪

Then it went back to normal, then I pulled in to the petrol station and had no power steering. So I looked under the bonnet and could see much, then the noise started again and started smoking horribly! 

Turned it off and had another look ..my AC compressor has seized and the clutch assembly had shredded apart, mmmm burnt rubber. So may take the hit and pay a few hundred quid for a new one, then get the AC system all charged up ready for summer! 

Nursed it home and it didn't make a noise or start to smell again, drove perfectly fine. But didn't wanna risk it!

20210604_083245.jpg

Yeh gonna take it off today and then just wait for the new one to turn up! 

In other news my Ksports are here!! Calipers look huuugeeeee. 

8 pot 356mm fronts and 4 pot 330mm rears, Carbotech XP8 pads are on order 😁

20210604_174620.jpg

20210604_174855.jpg

I got the AC compressor off today, wasn't as simple as I planned! 

Because of my boost pipe route and the FFIM it's not the easiest lot of bolts to access, luckily my slim hands could reach in the small gaps with the BOV off. 3 front bolts, 1 side stud and then another long rear bottom bolt, 2 nuts for the AC lines and 1 electrical plug. 

Then it fell off and was on the undertray 😅

There was no way it was coming out from above with the fan shroud on and the boost pipe there, so raised the car on the front tow hook a tad and undone the front undertray bolts and she slid out! 

Pulley was very much seized up! 

20210605_195944.jpg

On 1/20/2021 at 9:53 AM, mattdavies said:

What he said, I have Bilstein / Eibach combo on mine and the traction and ride is very good. I believe the rear springs on the eibachs are a softer spring rate so you get better squat when applying the power, which i believe helps with traction. 

The Eibachs are also progressive, had them on my car with OE dampers 🙂

On 6/6/2021 at 9:49 AM, Dnk said:

The Eibachs are also progressive, had them on my car with OE dampers 🙂

Thanks, I'm gonna stick with OEM TT springs for now (when they finally go on!) If there's room for lowering then I'll imvest in the Eibachs 😁

Also spoke to Carbotech today and the guy was super helpful and chatty on the phone, he said if I don't want loud brake pads then don't get Carbotechs unless I'm tracking it or happy with the noise 🤪

So I think Ferodo pads will be better as a fast road pad, I can deal with the dust but not sure about chalkboard screeching 80% of the time! 

3 hours ago, AC93 said:

Oooo, do you have them on yours? 

Yes mate. No car park or ramp stops me now. Never an issue. And my cars fairly low. The exhaust also used to catch.

For the sake of a grand and never being stranded or worried about driving anywhere its such a relief! You can always just buy the front but my exhaust is quite low due to its diameter I'm unable to tuck it in under the car very well.

14 hours ago, AC93 said:

Also spoke to Carbotech today and the guy was super helpful and chatty on the phone, he said if I don't want loud brake pads then don't get Carbotechs unless I'm tracking it or happy with the noise 🤪

So I think Ferodo pads will be better as a fast road pad, I can deal with the dust but not sure about chalkboard screeching 80% of the time! 

Performance Friction pads are the ones to get.

1 hour ago, AC93 said:

Their Z Rated pads?

No, the 08 Compound is the one to get, but that's if you drive the car very hard. You have to get them warmed up, so not much bite from cold so beware.

08 Compound = https://pfc.parts/motorsports/pad-compounds/08-compound-2/

Here are the alternatives:

01 Compound = https://pfc.parts/motorsports/pad-compounds/01-compound/

Z-Rated = https://pfc.parts/motorsports/pad-compounds/z-rated-compound-2/

Edited by Burna (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, AC93 said:

Ah okay, how are they for noise? 

Very noisy, but why does that matter? I want to stop, and keep on stopping time after time. I'm guessing you've bought big brakes for the same reason?

I don't have any anti-squeal shims fitted as I wanted pedal feel, so that doesn't help the noise. But I have ordered some of these https://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Titanium-Pad-Shields-for-Brembo-F50-Calipers_p_6588.html, they may help reduce the noise a little, who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

New AC compressor arrived today thanks to TCB 😁

Jacked the car up as was much easier to get in place from underneath. 

Top plated needed swapping over, 5 min job, then just fiddling around getting the lines on and bolted up. BOV back on, fan belt on, and she started up all gooooood! 

Then 5 mins later it started raining 🤧, typical! But atleast it's done and ready for the next dry day 

20210616_175757.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So after I had the brand new AC pump on all was well ..for about 30mins of driving. Then it seized again! I couldn't believe it! 😭

Broke down outside a school, at a junction corner about a mile from home, luckily I had a jump pack with me, got it started, done a 3 point turn and died again 😄. Jumped it again and drove back in 2nd at 3k rpm and made it to the end of my road where it died again... So I just pushed it down the road and into the drive! 

Now this was confusing how a brand new £300 pump failed 🧐.. all since I changed the HVAC fuse. Mike at SRD saw my Instagram story and asked me to send him my ECU log, turned out the ECU had the clutch permanently engaged, which with no gas in it would burn it out! I got donated a working spare from a buddy (Thanks Rob!) ..and swapped it out the week after, left the AC plug disconnected, new fan belt as other one had chunks taken out... And back to normal thankfully! 

20210708_084823.jpg

You may notice the new wheels!

I was driving around and there was sudden flood rain.. you can see where this is going! 😢 I went through a tunnel (dry road) come out on a bend where it was wet and it just went sideways on the dual carriageway. It wanted to do a full 180 but caught it left, right, left, right, snaking and then the bend ended and SMACK! 

I got out the car to check the damage and front wheel was cracked/chunk missing ..good ol' Rotas! Before I could get back in the car a black undercover BMW pulled up behind me, lights on and started nosing around the car 🤣.. the cracked rim still had air surprisingly but the rear was punctured. They just said I need to get off the carriageway asap, luckily there was a left turn just a couple metres up. So moved it there and parked up, looked back and the police just drove away and left me to it 😄

Called my brother who luckily has a Nissan with a spare, he came with tools and a trolley jack.. so got it home. 

Made the decision to get new wheels, I needed new tyres anyway because Racewars was approaching and the previous rubbing had ruined my rears anyway! 2 days later I found a set of GS300 TTE wheels in London, so drove straight down there and picked em up for a good price! Got them refurbished in gunmetal and they smoothed the centre caps and fitted 4 new tyres. I kept the same size 245 front and 285/35 rears, while this was being done I had the rear arches rolled by Arch Enemy and no rippling at all thankfully! Got the new wheels on and no rubbing to report at all after 2 months of use! I was enjoying the car even more now and the weather was warming up nicely 🙂

20210620_180251.jpg

Edited by AC93 (see edit history)

Now it was just about getting the car ready for Racewars! 

I did some fully throttle logs on all the boost settings, thanks again to Mike at SRD for checking them over and confirming everything was okay and no adjustments needed! 

Got the tracking aligned on the front (rear bolts were seized solid, only just out of spec so will get them done another time, new bolts are ready to go on when I have a free weekend)

1 week to go! Noticed a small coolant drip from the top rad hose and a weep on the exhaust rocker cover. Luckily some overnight parts from SRD and a couple hours later we were leak free! 

Brakes bled a few nights before, quick check over on the ramps, nothing to report. We are set for Racewars...

20210728_175803.jpg

20210802_204951.jpg

20210728_181414.jpg

Racewars was on Saturday just gone (Aug 7th) so trundled to the airfield with Dave - @Dave_Batch to see what our cars would do in the mile! 

My best on the day was:

12.25s 1/4 mile at 124mph (medium boost)

18.8s 1/2 mile at 155mph (medium boost) and 178mph top speed (different runs) 

Gutted I didn't hit my 180mph target but I had a rubbish launch on that one, was 5mph down at the 1/2 mile. I know if I launched as well as I did on the last run it would have done ~181-184mph, so that's the target for next time! 

Dave did extremely well considering he's just 500hp at 1 bar for now, he did a 12.5s 1/4 mile and maxed his box out at ~173mph? before the mile (his A02 diff vs. my A03 deffo helps with the 1/4 mile) 

All done it was a decent day, we both munched a few cars and neither car missed a beat or had any running issues! Drove them home back home and looking forward to the next one 🙂

Looking at the times released I did the fastest 1/4 mile on the day for a manual car, so that's something at least! No doubt there were other cars there absolutely dominating, X3M Competition doing 11.7s 1/4 mile every time. Huracan doing 11s 1/4 miles and the M5 doing 197mph at the mile 🥵 ..must be easy with launch control and an auto box! Ha 

FB_IMG_1628442685021.jpg

IMG-20210808-WA0019.jpg

20210807_092335.jpg

20210807_120324.jpg

• 4 months later...